Author Topic: Where should I plant my garcinia seedlings ?  (Read 1063 times)

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Where should I plant my garcinia seedlings ?
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:14:02 PM »
Need some advice
Thinking about planting my garcinia seedlings in the ground soon they made it through winter fine so I want to put them in the ground
I've always had them mostly in shade they seem to like it, should they stay in more shade or how much sun/shade do they prefer ?
The ones I'll be planting are
Lucs
Giant leaf madrono
Maybe gambols
Gumi-gutta
I might plant imbe too but they're doing fine in full sun so they would be in a different spot
Thanks for any advice :)
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I plant my garcinia seedlings ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:23:23 AM »
IMO Garcinias should go in the ground ASAP; they develop large/deep roots that quickly get stunted in pots. They'll grow faster in the ground after initial period of root growth. Imbe in particular has massive root ball.
All my Garcinias do well in SFla weather year-round in the ground. They're very resilient.
Put them in the ground with mix of potting soil and local soil, use plenty of mulch (they do fine in mixed limestone soil once they get bigger and roots expand beyond planting media)
I provide a dedicated mini-sprinkler for each plant and water as often as daily.
If they're less than 24' I would provide some temporary shade, although they can do ok in full sun if plenty of water.
I do chelated iron, minors and fertilizers every 3-4 months.
Federico
Homestead, FL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk