Author Topic: Where in continental US never gets freezing temps?  (Read 12539 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Where in continental US never gets freezing temps?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 05:00:03 AM »
Temps plummeted at my place with 79f min to 90f max today after 3 inches of rain so there is a chill in the air.Now at 7.50pm it is a brisk 85f but the temp relief wasn't matched by a humidity relief. Did I say that Oscar? I was younger then if it was me. The entire Ocean around northern Australia seems to be 30c to 32c (sorry for lapsing back to metric) at the moment.
 Even southern Australians are complaining at the moment. Tomorrow will be warmish even on the coast.
Sydney
Penrith West Sydney
Sydney has no humidity so that is chicken feed. They have no right to complain unless it is over 50c

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2018, 12:32:39 AM »
I might have to take back what I said that Sydney was not that hot.I read on the nrews that Penrith in western Sydney was quite warm and I quote "The Penrith observation station reached 47.3 degrees just before 2pm, with the Bureau of Meteorology confirming it was the highest reading ever recorded at the station" That is about 117f and no doubt there would have been warmer places inland.. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
Sorry to talk about heat in the freezing thread.Speaking of crazy weather.Sydney cricket ground recorded very high temperatures yesterday variously reported as being between 56c and 58c (134f +) during the Australia vs England test match. Maybe a sporting fixture has never been played before in such oppressive weather. Surprisingly news references to the match such as below did not focus on the extreme temperatures.

"AUSTRALIA is just six wickets away from inflicting an embarrassing 4-0 series black eye on England after dominating with the bat and ball on day four of the Fifth Ashes Test.
After Shaun Marsh (156) and Mitch Marsh (100) created history with a special moment of brotherly love, Australia raced to 7/649 declared as England were made to suffer temperatures out in the middle of the SCG that soared north of 56C."

The heat had adversely impacted fruit and vegetables in the heatwave area with prices expected to soar due to crop failure.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:13:11 PM by Mike T »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »
Are those official--- in-the-shade readings?  Or sun exposure readings? 

Persons who work in the sun know about being baked.
Har

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
Key West, Florida.

Lowest recorded temperature:  41 F

The "keys" are technically islands, but you can drive there from anywhere in the continental United States.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article10888127.html
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
Official temps are 47.3 c for a close meteorological station where the official screen boxes are used. in the stadium which is very large the air get trapped and temps rises.The modern measuring devices simulate the screen boxes for shade temp 1m above the ground. The 57.6c being the highest measured in the Sydney Cricket Stadium should be the same as what the screen box would record. While the stadium can hold 80 000 and the grassed surface pitch is around 3 hectares it is not an official recording station.The official world record is 56.7c at Death Valley now that the Ethopian record has been discredited.http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/highest-recorded-temperature/.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 12:39:52 AM »
Temps plummeted at my place with 79f min to 90f max today after 3 inches of rain so there is a chill in the air.Now at 7.50pm it is a brisk 85f but the temp relief wasn't matched by a humidity relief. Did I say that Oscar? I was younger then if it was me. The entire Ocean around northern Australia seems to be 30c to 32c (sorry for lapsing back to metric) at the moment.
 Even southern Australians are complaining at the moment. Tomorrow will be warmish even on the coast.
Sydney
Penrith West Sydney
Sydney has no humidity so that is chicken feed. They have no right to complain unless it is over 50c
No it was not you Mike that said that AC was for sissys. It was another Aussie. It was several years ago before the temperatures down under went soaring. He only posted a few times, so i forget his addy. Wonder if he survived his own experiment, moved to Tasmania, or succumbed and bought an AC? The temperatures you quote are insanely high.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk