Author Topic: Kepel (Stelechocarpus burahol)  (Read 24522 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Kepel (Stelechocarpus burahol)
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
heard bill Whitman tooted and it smelled like roses after eating this one!

Lol sorry!

but he did say it had a nice cocunt like taste, and it's almost extinct in the wild. so why not grow this unique endangered annona, with the strange habit of cauliflory.  it looks like a jaboticaba made love to an annona...the fruits look like sapodilla skinned jabos! 

also, who knows what medicinal qualities this species may have?  it could be worth growing for that reason as well.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »
Adam surely Bill Whitman wouldn't use rude comparasons concerning taste.I might have to stop at the park where there used to be a tree.If it still there I'll tank up on flowers,fruit, bark and foliage. One way or another I'll be an aromatic sensation before the sun goes down.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
haha!  sorry again...just think the fascination with body odors changing is remarkably peculiar.

Adam surely Bill Whitman wouldn't use rude comparasons concerning taste.I might have to stop at the park where there used to be a tree.If it still there I'll tank up on flowers,fruit, bark and foliage. One way or another I'll be an aromatic sensation before the sun goes down.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »
haha!  sorry again...just think the fascination with body odors changing is remarkably peculiar.

A lot of people before they try it don't believe what miracle fruit can do to taste sensations. So disbelief in both cases is very similar.
About growing this kepel plant one of the main attractions is new flush of leaves is brilliantly pink and red. Very ornamental! Worth growing just for that.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »
agreed the foliage is most attractive I've seen when properly grown

which reminds me'...how much for the 7gal specimens at Excalibur?  BSBullie?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:50 AM »
agreed the foliage is most attractive I've seen when properly grown

which reminds me'...how much for the 7gal specimens at Excalibur?  BSBullie?
PMed you back
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
I saw some pics of trees at excalibur...and they are beautiful...now I'm saving my loot for this one!

Thanks for the tip bullie!  I don't know any other place that stocks them...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 01:12:13 AM »
just posting an article about kepel, translating by google translate

=======================

Kepel, that's the name for the fruit called latin Stelechocarpus burahol this.  The name was given because of the size of the fruit is brown and round it's just an adult fist.  In addition to Kepel, the fruit is also known by the name burahol.

Kepel Fruit is quite attractive.  Unlike the usual fruit attached to the branches and twigs, fruit Kepel spreading it around the main stem of trees which reach a diameter of 40 cm.  Kepel including rare plants in Indonesia.

This tree was formerly known as the nobility crop because only the people of the court and nobility are allowed to grow.

The fruit is useful to maintain the beauty of the princess of Mataram kingdom (old java kingdom).  Only by eating the ripe fruit , the princess sweat and breath .  just Like to use a natural deodorant.

Ripe fruit with black seeds contained in it can be eaten fresh.  Orange-colored flesh and give smell like roses mixed with sapodilla fruit.  Due to the strong smell of scent was still able to feel the aroma in the excretion of body systems such as urine, sweat, and breath.

In medicine, the fruit serves as a laxative urine, preventing inflammation of the kidneys and cause infertility (temporary) in women.  The wood is suitable for home furnishings; a straight trunk a few months after immersion in water, used for house building materials and the reported resistance of more than 50 years.

Kepel is an ornamental plant with beautiful trees.  The leaves that appear at once changed from pale pink to red to purple before it turns again into a brilliant green.  Stature tree or pyramid-shaped cylindrical with many lateral branches are arranged systematically, and its kauliflor (cauliflory) add to its beauty.

Unfortunately, trees are unique and interesting this is now rare here in java island.  Not easy to find this Kepel plants in other areas.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
Bocah, thanks for the nice photo and translation. Can you say please what the source of this information is? Is it an agricultural website in Java?
Oscar

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »
Bocah, thanks for the nice photo and translation. Can you say please what the source of this information is? Is it an agricultural website in Java?

http://ureport.vivanews.com/news/read/297137-buah-kepel--deodoran-alam-yang-langka

Fruit pulp, seeds and roots Kepel contain saponins, flavonoids and polyphenols, in addition, the seeds also contain alkaloids, and its leaves contain flavonoids and polyphenols.
source: http://tanamanobat.org/452/kepel/

university research (Bogor Agricultural University)
Kepel (Stelechocarpus burahol) was a fruit which found in Indonesia and it was believed can reduce the odor from excreta such as faeces and urine. This research was aimed to show the effect of kepel (Stelechocarpus burahol) fructus simplicia on reducing odor emitted from excreta by ammonia, trimethylamine, and fenol content in mice faecal. Total of 18 mices (Mus musculus) were used in this study. They were devided into 2 groups; negative control group and kepel fruits peel powder treated group. The dose of kepel was 2,6 mg/ gram body weight and was given orally every day for seven days. The collected faeces was analyzed for ammonia and trymethylamine content by titration methode and for phenol content by using spectrophotometry methode. The result showed that kepel signifficantly reduce ammonia content 75,5% and phenol content 42,4 % in faeces after seven days, but it has not signifficant for trimethylamine content.
http://repository.ipb.ac.id/handle/123456789/53964

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:20:18 AM by bocah »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 03:46:29 AM »
Great information Bocah and I chopped my kepels down even though they looked nice.They would have become to tall and too big.Do you have Yogyarta pondoh snake fruit,thai wax apple, durian  and mangosteen ?
Cheers
Mike

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 04:11:46 AM »
Great information Bocah and I chopped my kepels down even though they looked nice.They would have become to tall and too big.Do you have Yogyarta pondoh snake fruit,thai wax apple, durian  and mangosteen ?
Cheers
Mike
nope...idont have salak pondoh (snake fruit),
i also dont have durian tree since it will become a very big tree after years.and i dont like a big tree...
nowadays mangosteen is very popular here, since the research claim that the rind of this fruit   can cure cancer (contain xanthones - an antioxidant and antiaging) . and iam still searching for the best cultivar seed

but i have 4 variety of wax apple (we call it jambu air): jambu citra ( a good cultivar from indonesia, big size and very sweet), jambu kancing merah (small wax apple/red button wax apple), jambu air putih (white wax apple), dan jambu air lilin hijau (green wax apple)

but right now iam hunting the seed of a very rare indonesia white small wax apple named nasi-nasi...
here the picture of the fruit from google

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:14:28 AM by bocah »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 04:57:21 AM »
Bocah I don't know that white jambu but you would love the giant sweet seedless chomphu (Syzigium samarangense) from thailand especially chanthaburi red and black pearl varieties.I cannot bring them here because of the tough australian import rules.i do grow mangosteen,durian, sapodilla and many others in Java.Your jackfruit has many small fruit like a chempadak.Does it have orange inside and have variety name?
Mike

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
Bocah I don't know that white jambu but you would love the giant sweet seedless chomphu (Syzigium samarangense) from thailand especially chanthaburi red and black pearl varieties.I cannot bring them here because of the tough australian import rules.i do grow mangosteen,durian, sapodilla and many others in Java.Your jackfruit has many small fruit like a chempadak.Does it have orange inside and have variety name?
Mike

actually nangkadak is new variety..see below explanation

=====================
Jackfruit /nangka (Artocarpus heterophyllus) is one of the fruits of high economic value, because the ripe fruit can be eaten fresh or processed into various foods such as chips, dodol or a mixture of ice pieces. Jackfruit has the properties: large fruit weight (5-40 pounds), peeled the skin is difficult due to high resin content, the color yellow to orange flesh, crisp flesh texture, chewy until soft, thick flesh is protected Dami attached to the skin, and a sense of sweet fruit to tasteless.

Cempedak (Artocarpus integer Murr.) Has the properties: small fruit weight (3-4 kg), skin and flesh easily removed or peeled fruit, fruit are relatively sticky, pale yellow flesh color, fruit flesh is smooth and thin with a fibrous texture, flavor sweet, and crisp fruit flavors.
>>cempedak

Nangkadak (nangka+cempedak=nangkadak) ais the result of combining the superior properties of two different species of the jackfruit and cempedak. Nangkadak address the needs of consumers to obtain an ideal jackfruit fruit is small eat out at all, easy to peel, not sticky, scented soft and sweet taste.
Cempedak breeding jackfruit with 4 fixing properties at once, namely:
 - Fruit size is smaller (so that the fruit was eaten up)
- Easy to peel the fruit (impractical and not sticky)
- Thick fleshy, soft scented with sweet flavor.
- Plant early maturing and productive, at the age of two years from the planting has begun to bear fruit.
>>nangkadak
========================

about wax apple..it is origin is indonesia
 variety from thailand that your mention actually lokal variety here..the thaifarmer bring the seed to their country,plant it and they give a new name ,like chompu ,Thong Sam Sie and other
the same case happen with taiwan wax apple variety like black diamond dan black pearl
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:04:41 AM by bocah »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 05:44:05 AM »
Heya Bocah the nangkadak is impressive and we also have crosses but no name so we just call them jackfruit.The thai jambu can be kept small so would be good for you.Maybe you have so many good mangoes and other fruit you don't need more but longkong,maprang and borneo giant fruit mangosteen would be good in your weather.
Cheers
Mike T

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
I like the name nangkadak. Here I've heard people refer to the crosses and champejack but I like the way nangkadak sounds better. Sounds like a more interesting fruit than champejack. Just wait till I set an auto correct in the forum for champejack to nangkadak!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
Bocah, your nasi-nasi looks interesting. It looks a lot like a few of the native Australian Syzygium, especially S. forte ssp. forte, even a little bit like a small S. pseudofastigiatum. I like the taste of many of the native white apples better than most of the ones from Asia that we have - though we dont have the best ones here, so can only really talk about the regular red, white and pink jambu and rose apples. I'm partial to a good chilled Malay apple though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
fruitlovers I saw alan carle today with a stall in my street seeling trees.His 2ft kepels were an outrageous $8- each.He told me the same story that you related mentioning that it happened with 10 fruit on one occasion.He also said people with a different experience question that 'event'.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »
fruitlovers I saw alan carle today with a stall in my street seeling trees.His 2ft kepels were an outrageous $8- each.He told me the same story that you related mentioning that it happened with 10 fruit on one occasion.He also said people with a different experience question that 'event'.

Hi Mike, thanks for asking Alan and for the report. Was he selling anything interesting besides the kepel? Is he still selling cut flowrs? Also how tall were your kepel plants when they started fruiting?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
I want a nangkada tree or seeds!! how can I get me one??

thanks mike t, now I have a new plant to track down and eat!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
Fruitlovers they were 12 feet tall but were topped when smaller.Alan had a few durians like test.,grav.,and a couple of others.There were a few asian garcinias,south american eugenias,flacourtias and many others.He said he has well over 500 tropical fruit species and that was just a carload.Other fruit tree stalls seemed to concentrate on better known types with the best grafted cultivars and were doing brisk business.The old ladies were finger pointing,pushing and shoving to get hold of granadilla vines,atemoyas,sugar apples and macadamias.
Saffron they were the first kepel trees I have seen for sale for a couple of years and I have not seen the fruit since last year.More chance of the martians landing than getting a tree to you but I can send out an alert if I get fruit and we can talk turkey then.
Cheers
Mike T 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
Fruitlovers they were 12 feet tall but were topped when smaller.Alan had a few durians like test.,grav.,and a couple of others.There were a few asian garcinias,south american eugenias,flacourtias and many others.He said he has well over 500 tropical fruit species and that was just a carload.Other fruit tree stalls seemed to concentrate on better known types with the best grafted cultivars and were doing brisk business.The old ladies were finger pointing,pushing and shoving to get hold of granadilla vines,atemoyas,sugar apples and macadamias.
Saffron they were the first kepel trees I have seen for sale for a couple of years and I have not seen the fruit since last year.More chance of the martians landing than getting a tree to you but I can send out an alert if I get fruit and we can talk turkey then.
Cheers
Mike T

Mike, have you ever been to the Botanical Ark? How is it? Carle's book by the same name is quite nice. Here is their website: http://www.botanicalark.com/ I would have definitely gone for some of those graveolens and testudinarium durios! Yeah you alway make a lot more money selling the run of the mill stuff, as that is what 99% of the people want to plant.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:48:19 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
fruitlovers I know the website and where the property is but have never been there and don't really know alan.There are a few people around like that but larry and yasi wiped a few out like david chandlee and his borneo collection.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
fruitlovers I know the website and where the property is but have never been there and don't really know alan.There are a few people around like that but larry and yasi wiped a few out like david chandlee and his borneo collection.

Amazing to hear because Alan Carle is by far the most famous Australian fruit collector. I think Mossman is not that far away from you either. What is it, like 90 km.? Please go there one day, take lots of photos, and report back. I hope you will except this assignment?  ;)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
I am going to the local creek to castnet a few fish for lunch and dinner and in the park next to the creek there are dozens of tropical fruit tree species.I remember seeing some kepel trees there so I'll have a sticky beak.There are good pulasans,poshtes,imbes,santol,mobolos and dozens of other species that probably won't be in fruit but maybe a few mangosteens and rollinias could be rustled up to complement the fish.If my bucket volunteer doesn't turn up soon his share of the spoils diminished to 30%.I will report back if there are any good ripe kepels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk