Author Topic: Brace for Frost!  (Read 30953 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Brace for Frost!
« on: December 27, 2014, 01:44:20 AM »
Looks like some of us will be I'll be hitting 31 and 32 degrees between Saturday and Sunday. I brought the Plumerias in, I'm sure the Mangos and Cherimoyas will be fine will be fine with 32 degree temps. All potted plants are Close to the South wall of my house.....too lazy to bring them all in. If I see a forcast showing below 30 I'll get ready....My PVC Green House will be finished soon....
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Brace for Frost!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:56:42 AM »
Hang in there Clay... I saw some forecasts down to 28F in your area.  Hope you are able to get those old style C9 light strings.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:45:52 AM by wslau »
Warren

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
Yes, Florida - now it's our turn!

We've got an official low in Palm Springs of 36 tonight, but I'm in a cold pocket at the base
of the mountains so I expect I might be touched by the white stuff.  I'm back in Maryland at the moment and covered everything I could before I left....but I'm still worried I'll come back to those ugly wilted
Papaya leaves on my tall ones at the end of the house....

I see JF's area is only going to get down to like 40, so he should be all right, but you and I Clay.....
you might think of covering those potted plants just in case it does slip lower than expected,
Clayster.  From experience I know the regret that is felt at having been "lazy" with cold protection....

Buena Suerte a todos in Cali!!!!!

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
Yes, Florida - now it's our turn!

We've got an official low in Palm Springs of 36 tonight, but I'm in a cold pocket at the base
of the mountains so I expect I might be touched by the white stuff.  I'm back in Maryland at the moment and covered everything I could before I left....but I'm still worried I'll come back to those ugly wilted
Papaya leaves on my tall ones at the end of the house....

I see JF's area is only going to get down to like 40, so he should be all right, but you and I Clay.....
you might think of covering those potted plants just in case it does slip lower than expected,
Clayster.  From experience I know the regret that is felt at having been "lazy" with cold protection....

Buena Suerte a todos in Cali!!!!!

Gary

We got a low of 37....Hopefully Tomorrow's prediction is way off as well (In our favor).....The War has just begun Gary.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
Has been cold here on Central Coast of Ca. in Arroyo Grande, yesterday morning was 32.5f this morning 33f with 27fdew point lots of frost on ground and roofs. Have wire cages up on frost sensitive plants with frost cloth on top only! Next week looks like another cold hit for us on Tues-Wed. hope it doesn't get colder w/duration. :blank: This mornings low of 33 was about a 2hr duration. ::)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
Good luck to you  too, soldier Clay....and

SCOTT - how do they survive with only frost cloth in your climate?
Don't  you guys get 20's in the winter?

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
Looks like some of us will be I'll be hitting 31 and 32 degrees between Saturday and Sunday. I brought the Plumerias in, I'm sure the Mangos and Cherimoyas will be fine will be fine with 32 degree temps. All potted plants are Close to the South wall of my house.....too lazy to bring them all in. If I see a forcast showing below 30 I'll get ready....My PVC Green House will be finished soon....

Are your sure about that? I don't think mango will survive at 32F, at least not for any length of time. Even if they do survive they will be damaged. I would definitely cover them. Don't lose those TT mangoes!
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »

Are your sure about that? I don't think mango will survive at 32F, at least not for any length of time. Even if they do survive they will be damaged. I would definitely cover them. Don't lose those TT mangoes!

yup, any duration of temps near 31 - 32 can do damage to those mangoes, and possibly severe considering the size/age.
- Rob

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 12:47:08 AM »
I see JF's area is only going to get down to like 40, so he should be all right

Gary

JF is 10 minutes from where I am, and my place got down to 36.6 F at 6:58 AM this morning.
Thera

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
Reporting  a low of 37 again at my house....It appears my 6 foot Raja Purri Banana didn't make it...entire top portion of leaves turning black.......However it's sucker at the bottom is just fine.... Everything else looks good outside! I'll make sure I get the protection going ASAP.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
Whoa Thera that's cold for O.C.
Gary, yes I do get by with frost cloth on top of plants only until they die or get to big to cover, we get down to 26F-28f yearly coldest in my 38 yrs. here was 16f but not the norm what ever that is any more ??? But it's the duration that really kills plants a little short dip result's in small leaf or small twig damage and my frost cloth above plants heads helps with short dips only!!! :P ::) 8)
Wow, Clay 37f doesn't seem cold enough to do that kind of damage are you sure it wasn't colder?
Sorry to hear for sure :(
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:00:06 AM by ScottR »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
Reporting  a low of 37 again at my house....It appears my 6 foot Raja Purri Banana didn't make it...entire top portion of leaves turning black.......However it's sucker at the bottom is just fine.... Everything else looks good outside! I'll make sure I get the protection going ASAP.

And Raja Puri  has a good degree of cold hardiness as far as bananas go.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:36:01 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

And Raja Puri  has a good degree of cold heartiness as far as bananas go.

I know Rob....after reading the Cold Hardy reports I decided to pull the trigger on it, I'm hopping the top set of leaves is just damaged or maybe old....its 2 foot sucker at the bottom looks perfectly fine including other unnamed bananas planted.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
Good Luck To All Cali-Bros !
Zone 10

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »
Down here in Chula Vista, next to Tijuana we got down to 37. Not too bad.

Mark

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
Not too bad at all, Mark....

I see on WeatherUngerground in Palm Springs it got down to 31.8, but that is at a location a few miles
from my house.  I head home tomorrow and guess I'll see what's happened to my plants.  So glad I
covered most of them when I left  8 days ago when it was 75 outside.  The neighbors must have thought i was crazy!  It's those large papayas that I'm cringing about.....

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
Not too bad at all, Mark....

I see on WeatherUngerground in Palm Springs it got down to 31.8, but that is at a location a few miles
from my house.  I head home tomorrow and guess I'll see what's happened to my plants.  So glad I
covered most of them when I left  8 days ago when it was 75 outside.  The neighbors must have thought i was crazy!  It's those large papayas that I'm cringing about.....

Gary

Weather Reports said we got  down to 31 or 32 here....But my Thermometer outside said differently putting it at 37 degrees...Hoping I'm in a nice Micro climate pocket

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
New low of 35.6 F at 4:40 AM this morning (under frost cloth).
Thera

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
New low of 35.6 F at 4:40 AM this morning (under frost cloth).

Thera, you must be in a cold spot it got down to 39F today 45F yesterday. I had zero chill hours before this artic freeze so this cold wave is beneficial to all my trees. 

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
The Grim reeper has claimed all 4 of my Banana trees... I know they will reshoot in Spring and start back from scratch....However I think I will remove all of them, this seems like it will be an endless cycle of dying and being reborn, but never fruiting...I don't have time or space for Fruitless Phoenixes in my yard....

An Avocado tree and Fig will likely take their place. Currently looking at the Smith and Excel Fig which rate the highest at Fig tasting from reports found on the Fig4fun Forum...It seems like there is world of Figs out there that people are actually crazy about like us with Mangoes...I'll report back in a few years to verify the claims lol
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:26:33 PM by ClayMango »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »
We had one day in early November it got down to 28F
but, only for a few hours
it was 45 when i wen to bed, and by 11am it was back in the over 40F

the weatherman missed it by like 8 degrees, and i lost some plants. :(
only in containers though, the ones in the ground were OK
since ground temps didnt get a chance to really drop...

since then it hasnt dipped below 40-42
its still early in the year though. Sometimes we get a freeze in Feb,
 or even early March.
i have Papaya, Carob, Cherimoya, mulberry and Lychee putting out new growth in the unheated greenhouse.
Jackfruit and the more sensitive stuff seem dormant, but OK and still have leaves.

Gary,
dont let those papaya roots get wet.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 03:32:29 PM »
The Grim reeper has claimed all 4 of my Banana trees... I know they will reshoot in Spring and start back from scratch....However I think I will remove all of them, this seems like it will be an endless cycle of dying and being reborn, but never fruiting...I don't have time or space for Fruitless Phoenixes in my yard....

An Avocado tree and Fig will likely take their place. Currently looking at the Smith and Excel Fig which rate the highest at Fig tasting from reports found on the Fig4fun Forum...It seems like there is world of Figs out there that people are actually crazy about like us with Mangoes...I'll report back in a few years to verify the claims lol

Clay it was 86 Christmas Eve and 62 today. How are you mangos doing at 32F degrees ? My choc anon are ripening I have 5 on the tree

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »
Wednesday and Thursday suppose to be a cold one. It only got down to about 39, luckily I have the ocean nearby to moderate temps. Stay warm guys and hopefully we don't have any bad cold fronts much below where it stands now.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »

Clay it was 86 Christmas Eve and 62 today. How are you mangos doing at 32F degrees ? My choc anon are ripening I have 5 on the tree

JF

NDM is Flowering for the 4th time in the last year!!!!!!!!!!! I thought Pickering and Sweet Tart for Flowering as well,,, THEY ARE FLUSHING!!!!!!! What is going on....well at least they are taking the Cold just fine for now. These trees are located on the South Side of my House...My containers as well.... My Cherimoyas are on a slope, the same with my now Dead Bananas....the only things which have shown immediate signs of cold damage.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
35 degrees today....yet every car on the bkock was covered with frost....hopefully everything is ok...i'll be covering everything this week in prep for this Winter Storm coming from Canada!!!!

I repeat....brace for the Winter Storm coming from Canada Californians

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk