Author Topic: Anyone growing Marang?  (Read 24381 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Anyone growing Marang?
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
Thinking of picking one up. I bought a small seedling years ago but it came in looking horrible. It never grew at all and eventually died. How much more senstive to cold are they compared to Jacks?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Anyone growing Marang?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
Thinking of picking one up. I bought a small seedling years ago but it came in looking horrible. It never grew at all and eventually died. How much more senstive to cold are they compared to Jacks?

I would say from what i've heard that they are inbetween sensitivity to cold of a jack and a breadfruit. Definitely you need to protect them from sudden winter cold spells.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »
I have a few potted trees here in Florida. They are being grown and fruited on several farms in western  Puerto Rico. 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:24:08 PM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »
I'll probably try to grab a few seeds or maybe a tree in PR. I'll just try to keep it really close to the heater in the GH for the winter.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »
I'll probably try to grab a few seeds or maybe a tree in PR. I'll just try to keep it really close to the heater in the GH for the winter.

I should have some fresh marang seeds ready in about a month if interested? One of my trees is holding fruits right now:

Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »

I should have some fresh marang seeds ready in about a month if interested? One of my trees is holding fruits right now:

Oscar
Tremendas fotos!
FGM

FloridaGreenMan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
I recently tried quite a variety of marangs with surprisingly different flavours,bulb sizes and fruit shapes and sizes.I know a few grow in sub tropical brisbane which would be a bit cooler than Miami but I'm not sure if some types ar more cold tolerant than others.There is a big bulbed and large spined/knobbed, globe shaped one near Kuranda in my district that would get frost once every few years.
I suspect Oscar is correct but there could be some difference between the types.

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »
has anyone experienced or heard of grafting Marang?

have done a few trials with no success using breadfruit as a rootstock and veneer grafting. I may try some others next summer onto marang rootstocks since my seedlings will be large and thick enough to receive the huge marang scions.

How many years did it take for you to fruit marang? from seedlings? from grafts?

Samuel
Reunion Island

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
has anyone experienced or heard of grafting Marang?

have done a few trials with no success using breadfruit as a rootstock and veneer grafting. I may try some others next summer onto marang rootstocks since my seedlings will be large and thick enough to receive the huge marang scions.

How many years did it take for you to fruit marang? from seedlings? from grafts?

This tree is from seed. I don't think there are any marang cultivars available here. Only country i know that has developed marang cultivars is Phillippines, and they have very few, like you can count them on one or two fingers. This tree took about 8-9 years to start fruiting.  I think your mistake was to try to graft onto breadfruit. Yes you should try grafting again onto marang, that should work.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »
Marangs are just grown from seed here and was told by a fellow who grows them on his farm that his better one took 4 years to fruit from planting out.He brought 3 from his farm,I got 2 from phillipine people at rustys and we had another from daintree and we cut them up and compared them at my place.I should have taken pics.The aroma raised the roof.
Grafting onto young marangs would probably work well.I toss frozen seeded bulbs into fruit salad and they are good.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
I recall someone on the Yahoo group grafted a few and the seedling plants did better.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
I recall someone on the Yahoo group grafted a few and the seedling plants did better.

Did better? In what way? If you mean grew better that's true of almost all seedlings vs. grafted plants.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
I believe he said that the grafted ones flowered/fruited no quicker than the seedling plants.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »
Re: [rarefruit] Grafting marang

I think you did, but now we will try. I have my grafters doing a few varieties of jackfruit, chapejak, and breadfruit on breadnut and jackfruit seedlings this week. I might as well have them try a few marang on both rootstocks. So far I am not happy with marang on marang: my grafted trees bear no sooner nor smaller than non grafted and fruit less.
And greetings from Tela: I'm making a quick run over to Lancetilla tomorrow.
Dwight
Guatemala/Honduras

--- On Thu, 2/2/12, luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@...> wrote:

Subject: [rarefruit] Grafting marang
To: "rarefruit@yahoogroups.com" <rarefruit@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, February 2, 2012, 7:48 PM

Not sure if I asked this before : can marang be grafted on jackfruit ?

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta , Mexico

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
I saw a pedalai tree last week of mind blowing proportions.Maybe as marang rootstock it could impart some of that vigour and the reverse would be interesting.I have only eaten a couple a long time ago and can't remember if they are better than marang or not.The farmer who grows 3 varieties of marangs and one pedalai said he prefers the pedalai but most crash to the ground from 75 feet.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
I saw a pedalai tree last week of mind blowing proportions.Maybe as marang rootstock it could impart some of that vigour and the reverse would be interesting.I have only eaten a couple a long time ago and can't remember if they are better than marang or not.The farmer who grows 3 varieties of marangs and one pedalai said he prefers the pedalai but most crash to the ground from 75 feet.

100 feet+ is not uncommon. Not a good tree for container growing, or for those postage stamp backyards! It is equal to or better than marang, but pedalai is a much smaller fruit, and yes most of the fruits end up being lost in leaf litter or wasted.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:51 AM »

After sein this marang seedling today I suddenly noticed them in quite a few yards while driving home.Maybe there was some kinda marang event a couple of years ago.

descargaelbano

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
  I came back from the Philippines a week ago and the Marangs and Durians were plentiful. Of all the fruits I've tried there the marang and durian were my favorite. Although sometimes the marang smell like burning tire rubber at the drag strip, the inside was tasty and very sweet. Reminds me of a regular sugar apple but bigger. They were very cheap at $1.75 USD each compared to the durians at $6 USD. Two of the durians I purchased tasted like botterscotch rum and were the best I have ever tried, probably not a named cultivar as with most fruit in the philippines.
  I planted a seedling in a semi protected, moist part of my yard(Palm Beach, FL) before the trip and It already grew one new leaf and is starting to open another. I figure if I plant enough seeds eventually one will have to survive. I can buy 10'-15' marang trees locally but I dont want to spend the $250-350 only to have it die in the next cold winter so I'm looking for seeds to plant several more marangs, chempedak and cheena jackfruit. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Hi Descarga, where did you travel to? Was it Davao? One great thing about my marang tree is that the fruits have almost zero smell. Some of the marangs have a very strong smell (hence name odoratisimus), to me it smells exactly like the smell you get when driving by a petroleum distillery. In fact i remember funny incidence when this farmer was showing me his orchard here. I suddenly smelled this strange smell  :o. I asked him if he was storing petroleum on his property, as i was sure that's what it smelled like. He said "no, that's just the marang fruits right there on the ground."  :D
Oscar

descargaelbano

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
  Yes, I've travelled to Davao 3 times already and love the marangs n durians there. The marang fruits from the Gaisano mall supermarket do not have much of a smell and all look the same, maybe because they are named cultivars from a farm or the air conditioning  in the store gets rid of the smell. The fruits from the street vendors at the Magsaysay green market have more of a smell but they have different shapes and varieties probably taken off of private trees that aren't named cultivars but are all very good tasting. I don't think i'm going to be going back to the Philippines anymore so i'd love to try and grow the fruit here if minutely possible.
  I understand that durian fruits will not pollinate here in the US and i'm definitely going to miss that. Two of the durians that I had this trip in Davao tasted like butterscotch rum with a pleasant odor, soo delicious. The frozen durians that I can get here in West Palm are smelly and not so great ;))

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »
  Yes, I've travelled to Davao 3 times already and love the marangs n durians there. The marang fruits from the Gaisano mall supermarket do not have much of a smell and all look the same, maybe because they are named cultivars from a farm or the air conditioning  in the store gets rid of the smell. The fruits from the street vendors at the Magsaysay green market have more of a smell but they have different shapes and varieties probably taken off of private trees that aren't named cultivars but are all very good tasting. I don't think i'm going to be going back to the Philippines anymore so i'd love to try and grow the fruit here if minutely possible.
  I understand that durian fruits will not pollinate here in the US and i'm definitely going to miss that. Two of the durians that I had this trip in Davao tasted like butterscotch rum with a pleasant odor, soo delicious. The frozen durians that I can get here in West Palm are smelly and not so great ;))

Davao sounds like it has a great assortment of tasty fruits. Made it to Phillippines but never to Mindanao. Oh well, maybe one of these days.
I don't think problem with growing durian in US is pollination, it is in being in wrong part of US. You need to move to Puerto Rico or better yet Hawaii. No problem with pollination here, and i think we are considering part of US being 50th state. ::) Problem in Florida with growing durians is alkaline soil, occasional freeze blasts, phytophora, and occasional killer hurricanes.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »
  I understand that durian fruits will not pollinate here in the US and i'm definitely going to miss that. Two of the durians that I had this trip in Davao tasted like butterscotch rum with a pleasant odor, soo delicious. 

You remember part of the town where you got those? Can you describe exterior a little bit, so I know what to look for? What month were you there?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Hi Descarga, where did you travel to? Was it Davao? One great thing about my marang tree is that the fruits have almost zero smell. Some of the marangs have a very strong smell (hence name odoratisimus), to me it smells exactly like the smell you get when driving by a petroleum distillery. In fact i remember funny incidence when this farmer was showing me his orchard here. I suddenly smelled this strange smell  :o. I asked him if he was storing petroleum on his property, as i was sure that's what it smelled like. He said "no, that's just the marang fruits right there on the ground."  :D

Looking at your marang pictures I'd say you have Borneo kampung marangs. They are much smaller and not smelly compared to Fillipino ones..

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

Looking at your marang pictures I'd say you have Borneo kampung marangs. They are much smaller and not smelly compared to Fillipino ones..

Yes you are right. My marang seeds originally came from Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. But i don't think they are small. I've seen the Phillippine types here and were not any bigger.
BTW, i notice in prior message you said durians don't get pollinated in USA. But they pollinate fine here. I know in some literature it says they are pollinated by bats, but it seems like ants or some other insects here are pollinating the flowers.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 09:33:48 PM »
Oscar is right about marang being as sensitive to cold as the breadfruit , I have about 6 marang growing , should be fruiting soon ???, seeds from from different locations , those that are in a more protected area are doing a lot better than the others . What i noticed is some die back on some trees , but new growth coming out on the trunks . In winter-nights the temperature drops sometimes to 7 Celsius . Pedalai is also affected by the cold but recuperates fast. The Orchard is at 300 meters above sea level at 20 degrees north .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk