Author Topic: Picked a Rollinia today  (Read 27888 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Picked a Rollinia today
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
Here's the first of my  "Amazon Giant" Rollinias that I have picked this year.  I intended to harvest it and let it get fully yellow but it was way up in the canopy (20feet) and it fell off off of my "clip & hold" picker then fell to the ground. Since it was not fully ripe, the fruit survived the impact. It weighed one kilo (2.2lbs). Since this one ripened in the winter, I was worried the flavor would be bland, but it was pretty decent. Tastes like lemon custard pie. 

FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Picked a Rollinia today
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
Here's the first of my  "Amazon Giant" Rollinias that I have picked this year.  I intended to harvest it and let it get fully yellow but it was way up in the canopy (20feet) and it fell off off of my "clip & hold" picker then fell to the ground. Since it was not fully ripe, the fruit survived the impact. It weighed one kilo (2.2lbs). Since this one ripened in the winter, I was worried the flavor would be bland, but it was pretty decent. Tastes like lemon custard pie. 

Biggest rollinia (deliciosa) i've weighed so far off my trees has been 6 and 3/4 pounds, but i've seen ones for sale that were probably closer to 8 pounds.
Oscar
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
Noel, where did you get your rollinia from? Did you distribute budwood from this specimen?

I've taste a few rollinias, none impressed me. The bigger sized had the worst (bland) taste.

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »
I have had several fruiters tell me this is the best tasting annona they have ever tried. It is not bland and very sweet. Nice flavor.  My biggest one has been 6.5 lbs
NR

FloridaGreenMan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »

ROLLINIA
    Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetops,
    When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,
    When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall,
    And down will come baby, ROLLINIA and all.  :'( :'( :'(

I would have cut my pinky off for a taste of this fruit!  Or maybe a small chunk of my small toe. ;) :P :'(

Seriously though, best of all fruits!

Great growing Noel, U DA U DA BEST

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
Hey Noel:

How did this fruit compare to the roliinia brouht over to your house by George B.?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
Here are 2 different sized rollinias from different trees. The big one is a 6 pounder:
Oscar
Oscar

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
gr8 fruit ,, hope to taste it one day ,,

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »
Definitely one of he better annonas, deliciosa for sure!

congrats,
-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
Definitely one of he better annonas, deliciosa for sure!

congrats,
-Ethan

Ethan,

U have good taste!

I trust your judgement!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Hey Noel:

How did this fruit compare to the roliinia brouht over to your house by George B.?

Harry

Way better than the ones George B. had. His were not very sweet!
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
Hey Noel:

Harry

Way better than the ones George B. had. His were not very sweet!

That time when George B. came over with his, he brought another fruit with him from another tree, I believe.  That was the betterr of the fruits we tried that day.  Do you remember where it was from and who brought it?  That was the one that I wanted you to compare.  It was plenty sweet.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
Noel, will the Rollinia grow true to seed or could there be a slight variation on the seedling?

Thanks,
Adiel
Adiel

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Rollinias should be pretty true to seed. Most annonas are in my experience. There are more probably more differences in how precocious they are.     
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
Rollinias should be pretty true to seed. Most annonas are in my experience. There are more probably more differences in how precocious they are.     

There will be some variation from seed in rollinias, so it's really not right to call a rollinia seedling by a varietal name, just like it would not be right to call a seedling cherimoya or atemoya by varietal name. It's true thought that if you choose seeds from quality stock they are probably going to produce also quality fruits, but not identical.
Oscar
Oscar

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »
i want one...  ;D 
kimi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »
Noel,

I notice when eating rollinia, that they are best harvested and eaten, when barley green at top of fruit, and still firm.

Even the deliciosa can turn in to a nasty mess of snotty looking fruit, that will turn off even some of the most avid fruit eaters, by texture and appearance alone.

The texture when eaten slightly firm is much better than if left to become fully ripe.

I notice you like your fruits fully yellow, have you ever tried eating them a bit earlier?

(and of course refrigerating them helps before eating, but I never like to chill any of my fruit...I like them all room temp, or right off the vine.)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
Adiel,

Whether Rollinias come true from seed depends on the origin and neighborhood of the tree.  A tree that originated from several generations of self-pollinated trees
could be expected to vary only slightly from the mother tree.

If the tree comes from an area with appreciable Rollinia diversity, than noticeable variations in the offspring are to be expected.

My two trees are the result of my hybridizing a small, sweet, bright-yellow Biribá from Manaus, Brazil, with an unattractive mottley-colored, very pointy, slightly bitter, mucusey, HUGE one from Perú.  The offspring from my seeds would vary quite a bit.

Anikulapo,
I agree with your preferences for eating Biribá.  If the fruit is chilled it shouldn't be for much more than 12 hours, as it will soon become mucusey and less flavorful.
Har

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
Har, great info thanks.    How is the taste in the two trees you have Har?  Was it a good mix?  :)
Adiel

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
Har,
Are you the person that created "Biriba Humongous? I heard and read excellent reports about biriba humongous! A appreciate your input!  Thank you! Berto (the Brasilian)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
I hope I'm less than 2.5months from being able to pick my first rollinia!

The fruits tasted amazing, taken over 4yrs ago from fruit and spice.

I have a few fruit set, but this one made it through all of the freezes.

This will be more than 2yrs that my tree has been flowering, without taking a break.

None of my other seedlings from this generation have flowered yet, but they have been distributed to other growers around Orlando.

Thanks to guanabanus for breeding Annonas like this, so posterity can benefit from the wholesome and delicious attributes of this neglected family of fruits.

I will be sure to follow your footsteps, bringing new varieties of Annonaceous fruits to light, for all to enjoy. :)

Anikulapo, good said.  Keep us posted on your Rollinia fruit.
Adiel

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
Yes.  My two hybrid Rollinia deliciosa (officially R. Mucosa, or now Annona mucosa again, if you can believe it.) are 'Prolific' and 'Humungous.'  They both have excellent flavor, creamy texture, low seed count, large size, bright yellow color.  'Humungous' has moderate or better production.  'Prolific' produces heavily.  Both give two crops a year here, the summer crop being the best quality.  This year I hope to propagate some for sale next year.  Seedlings do just fine in many locations, where there is clay or where water is available within some ten feet down.  My yard is on an ancient sand dune, and the water table is 27 feet down, and only hose-end sprinklers to move around--- no Rollinia deliciosa seedlings have survived more than a couple of years in the ground here.  My trees are grafted onto a distantly related species.
Har

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
Har,
Thank you for the information.  Would you plant one prolific and one humongous on the same hole, meaning few feet apart for cross pollination?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
I had trouble with nematodes attacking the roots on my seedling. Using a better rootstock would be the way to go.

Yes.  My two hybrid Rollinia deliciosa (officially R. Mucosa, or now Annona mucosa again, if you can believe it.) are 'Prolific' and 'Humungous.'  They both have excellent flavor, creamy texture, low seed count, large size, bright yellow color.  'Humungous' has moderate or better production.  'Prolific' produces heavily.  Both give two crops a year here, the summer crop being the best quality.  This year I hope to propagate some for sale next year.  Seedlings do just fine in many locations, where there is clay or where water is available within some ten feet down.  My yard is on an ancient sand dune, and the water table is 27 feet down, and only hose-end sprinklers to move around--- no Rollinia deliciosa seedlings have survived more than a couple of years in the ground here.  My trees are grafted onto a distantly related species.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »
They don't need cross-pollination.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk