Author Topic: Tips for grafting Artocarpus? (chempedak + jackfruit=compatible?)  (Read 25855 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for grafting Artocarpus? (chempedak + jackfruit=compatible?)
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Hi roboto212
Your grafts  look wonderful. Go on ;). Your expirience is valuable.
I have some jackfruit seedlings from last summer. The will be ready for grafting this spring.
I think I aam ready to go through it ;)
Approach grafting isn't possible in my case. Veneer graft is closer for me
I have to find a source of scion wood for both, Marang and Chempedak. ???

Hi Roboto,
Them grafts are looking great! Good work 8)

I reckon marang will not object being grafted on them Jacks. It should work just fine ;)
Steven, I thought the same because they are of the same genus. The success rate must be dependet on grafting skills of nurseryman

Hi Mike,
The two fellow gents have a point there ;) Jackfruit rootstocks are readily available and if we never try, we won't find out, if they tango or not. I agree with you Samuel,  Artocarpus camansi and Artocarpus altilis should be successfull.

Artocarpus anisophyllus, Artocarpus blancoi, Artocarpus elasticus and a few others can also work, i bet :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
then bag the whole plant and pot, seal with rubberband... place in shaded area...

Roboto,

Once grafted, how long do you keep the plants bagged? scion rot is a real issue with Artocarpus sp. ... have about 12 pots of grafted chempedak onto jack performed last saturday that are still in their bags and i am wondering when i should take them out.
Samuel
Reunion Island

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »
I leave them bagged until they show definite growth. I usually wait till the bud swells and then breaks, then I can assume the graft is able to transport nutrients/water to all parts of the scion, so it wont dry out. Usually about a month after grafting they can have the bag removed.... dont put them in sun too soon... I learned the hard way and lost a few grafts cause the sun was too intense.

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »
One month! that seems a long time to me...well if it worked this way for you...do you puncture a few holes in the plastic at one point to allow some air ventilation?
Samuel
Reunion Island

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
I dont puncture any holes, but that shouldnt hurt... just make sure the humidity is close to 100% wherever you put the grafts, so the scion donesnt dry out... and they are a bit slow growing at first... sometimes the graft will heal in 2 weeks and can be debagged, but I just play it on the safe side and keep them bagged till I know there is a good union

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:47 AM »
Just wondering if Wild jackfruit (A. hirisutus) could be grafted on regular jack/cempedak or on marang or only on wild jack rootstock?

Daniel

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »
Just wondering if Wild jackfruit (A. hirisutus) could be grafted on regular jack/cempedak or on marang or only on wild jack rootstock?

Hi Sanitarium,
Hirsutus, is used in India as a rootstock for Heterophyllus...should also work very well for Integer.  :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »

Hi Sanitarium,
Hirsutus, is used in India as a rootstock for Heterophyllus...should also work very well for Integer.  :)

Great, thank you for the info
Daniel

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2013, 12:50:47 AM »
I dont puncture any holes, but that shouldnt hurt... just make sure the humidity is close to 100% wherever you put the grafts, so the scion donesnt dry out... and they are a bit slow growing at first... sometimes the graft will heal in 2 weeks and can be debagged, but I just play it on the safe side and keep them bagged till I know there is a good union

Thanks for the tips Roboto 212, will keep up posted about my progress
Samuel
Reunion Island

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Many years ago when I lived on the Big Island I did a lot of Artocarpus grafting (all jackfruits, since there were not any cultivars available for marang, pedelai etc. at that time). I would raise seedlings in a 1 gal. pot to about 12 in. A key thing I found was to have the rootstock actively pushing, so I would hit them  with fertilizer about three days before I collected scions. Using a side graft cut with an exacto knife handle that held the injectible-type one-sided razor blades, I would make the initial slice on several rootstocks at once and then go back  and make another paper thin slice on the inner side of the cut. This would lift out the latex that had bled out of the surrounding tissue. I would quickly insert the scion, secure with green stretchy tape (forget its name) and finish by wrapping the scion and graft area with parafilm.

This was done in a hoop house open at both end so there was good airflow and higher than ambient humidity with bright light but not direct sun. I also did the same under 20% shade cloth. Another important detail I learned was to only water the soil in the pot NOT overhead watering as any water getting into the graft before it calluses kills the scion. Depending on time of year (short day vs. long day) the scions would push in anywhere from 3 days to a week. As soon as they began to push I would vent the parafilm with tiny cuts to prevent water buildup under the film; a day or two later, they would harden sufficiently that I could remove the parafim. A week after that the graft would have callused enough that they could go out in full sun at which time I would also uppot them to 3 or 5gal, and fertilize again. They would take off at this point,filling out the pot and shooting up to 4-6ft over the next 6 months. With this method I would regularly got 85-100% takes. We produced IIFC about a 10-12 cultivars.

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 03:02:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing this very valuable informations mangomike!

i am amazed that your grafts could handle full sun light as shortly as you mention it from the time of grafting.

What were the approximate length of your graft cuts? and scions length as well?

Samuel
Reunion Island

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
Great info Mike, thank you.

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »
The scions were usually about 3-4inces, to allow for  some "whitling" error. The stock cuts were generally about 2 inches, sometimes a bit longer if I needed to do some fine tuning to the fit of the scion and stock. I did also experiment with the cleft graft, and they worked also, but took more time  (for me). With the side graft, I got so I could fit in a block of 20-30 grafts in between other(less fun) chores. I love to graft.

Their exposure to full sun maybe a bit deceiving to those not familiar with the climate of Hawaii, particularly the Hamakua coast. We had full bright light for the mornings and then it would generally cloud up in the afternoon with frequent showers. Temps generally in the 80s Probably the perfect climate for growing  (and grafting) things...

God I miss Hawaii

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »

secure with green stretchy tape (forget its name) and finish by wrapping the scion and graft area with parafilm.

Mike, i assume you used to remove all leaves from the scion. Am i right?

would you decapitate the rootstocks at the moment of grafting or later on once the buds had pushed some growth?

Samuel
Reunion Island

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
Samuel,

Yes, I removed all the leaves from the scions when they were harvested (usually the day before grafting) except for the green leaf bud at the tip. When looking for scions on a tree I would try to find buds that were swollen and close to pushing.

I would tip back the tops of the stocks 2-3 days after grafting. My theory was to have as much leaf surface area as possible on the stock to feed the graft initially, and then by tipping back cause the hormonal changes that signal the stock to branch, thereby pouring more food to the scion ( its new "branch"). After the scion was in active growth for  4 -6 weeks, I would go back and remove the rest of the main stock stem above the graft union

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
I noticed a bunch of grafted jackfruit ( from PIN I think) which were all done as cleft grafts that were slightly off set... has anyone seen this method performed?  I wonder what the benefit is?  im almost certain they aren't doing it to compensate for the scion size being to small for the rootstock.. my imagination is running wild...i was thinking it maybe some other reason... like allowing a groove for the sap to flow down and out, away from the graft union? or maybe they just take better when you shift the scion over slightly?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »
I noticed a bunch of grafted jackfruit ( from PIN I think) which were all done as cleft grafts that were slightly off set...

Hi ASaffron,

what do you mean by offset? i can't figure out what you are pointing out here. Don't you have any pictures to share?

this is some point of much interest for me since Artocarpus species are among my favorite ones and here they are not grafted at all, just seedlings.

by the way i had little success on my previous Artocarpus grafting session (in the very beginning of the year) and must have had something like 50-60% by approach which is ok so far but only a 10% on epicotyl cleft which is kind of discouraging...well not really actually, i am having plans for this coming season  and this offset thing may be some great help for me to increase my success rate ;)

Samuel
Reunion Island

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »
I watched a video from Dr. Richard Fairchild how to prune a jackfruittree and he said never prune them out of the rainingseason because whole branches might die.

So when we do an approach graft to the jack and want to cut off the original branchtip (after the graft has taken) it should still be in the wet season.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
it's a cleft graft, where the scion is slightly smaller than the rootstock...and the scion is shifted over (off set) to one side, in order to compensate for the size difference.

I noticed a bunch of grafted jackfruit ( from PIN I think) which were all done as cleft grafts that were slightly off set...

Hi ASaffron,

what do you mean by offset? i can't figure out what you are pointing out here. Don't you have any pictures to share?

this is some point of much interest for me since Artocarpus species are among my favorite ones and here they are not grafted at all, just seedlings.

by the way i had little success on my previous Artocarpus grafting session (in the very beginning of the year) and must have had something like 50-60% by approach which is ok so far but only a 10% on epicotyl cleft which is kind of discouraging...well not really actually, i am having plans for this coming season  and this offset thing may be some great help for me to increase my success rate ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
I have a J-30 that PIN propagated like that.  The scion kept on moving further out toward union side.  It was starting to look like there was a void between the rootstock core and cambium.  I am probably being overcautious but I wrapped the whole thing with green stretchy tie tape to try to halt the sideways migration.  I will feel better when the scion's cambium fuses with the rootstock on the detached side.
Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
I have a J-30 that PIN propagated like that.  The scion kept on moving further out toward union side.  It was starting to look like there was a void between the rootstock core and cambium.  I am probably being overcautious but I wrapped the whole thing with green stretchy tie tape to try to halt the sideways migration.  I will feel better when the scion's cambium fuses with the rootstock on the detached side.

thanks for the info...glad to hear I'm not imagining things!

btw, I wouldn't worry about the scion migrating...if PIN sold you the tree, it should be all healed up and ready to grow.  I would unwrap the graft union and let nature take its course.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
Adam, I caught a talk @ Best of Both Worlds conf. in Ha. by Francis Zee, he had a break out session on propagation, and he told us he likes to offset scion on rootstock because rootstock is easyer to cut for cleft graft. Softer wood out a little from center of rootstock. He uses cleft graft on all tropicals.

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »
5 month old grafted cempedak onto jackfruit seedling... epicotyl graft... its growing nicely now and ill likely plant it out soon... They love alot of shade when they are young...

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
Adam, thanks for your explanations on the off set thing i can figure it out better now:)

Roboto, funny you've just posted your pics. Before seeing them i was decided to post mine tonight as well...after i have been meaning to do it for quite a while now... so here they are

the cool thing about approach grafts is that you can end up with nice sized plants more rapidly. This one was set up on the mother tree about 10 months ago, severed about 4 months ago to 5 months ago

here is one of my epicotyl success grafted last March or April. Not as nice as yours Roboto still i have big hopes for them :)

and out of topic my fruit plate last sunday while participating in a plant exchange

Samuel
Reunion Island

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
Samuel,

that's a beautiful arrangement of fruit!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com