Author Topic: Watery Avocados (Florida)  (Read 31590 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Watery Avocados (Florida)
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:45:49 AM »
We all know that Florida avocados don't have the oil content of California avocados.  But so far all the avocados sold here in the stores this summer (as low as 50 cents each), have been EXTREMELY watery and flavorless.  Why is this?  Are they being picked too early?  Can I avoid this problem if I'm growing them at home?
John

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Watery Avocados (Florida)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
It the cultivar, I couldnt tell you which cultivar exactly you are buying, but usually thats the problem.
- David Antonio Garcia

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
We all know that Florida avocados don't have the oil content of California avocados.  But so far all the avocados sold here in the stores this summer (as low as 50 cents each), have been EXTREMELY watery and flavorless.  Why is this?  Are they being picked too early?  Can I avoid this problem if I'm growing them at home?

I wish I knew my avocado varieties but I have bought some real winners at ethnic supermarkets like Broward Meat and Fish and at Flamingo Rd nursery. Got a huge one there for 69 cents and it was buttery (not oily like Hass) with v good taste. It was not watery at all and I have had a few others like this in 2013. My own avocado trees are too young to produce. I just planted a 3 gallon California Hass from Pine Island Nursery but bought at Home Depot. Have lula variety too....

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
Put some olive oil, salt, pepper  and lime juice- they will taste delicious, no matter what  :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
I had a great avocado from banananimal (on the forums here). It had a great buttery consistency and a great flavor close to a Reed. My mother said it was one of the best avocados she had. Personally I would rate it very close to a Reed (my favorite), I give it a solid 8 out of 10. Avocado was suppose to be a Lula but bannanimal told me it may be something else.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »
It the cultivar, I couldnt tell you which cultivar exactly you are buying, but usually thats the problem.

It seems nearly impossible (unless you're an expert) to figure out which cultivar you're buying in the supermarket. :-\
John

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
I had a few Florida grown Simmonds this past weekend that were AWESOME. Bought them in Miami
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
I had a few Florida grown Simmonds this past weekend that were AWESOME. Bought them in Miami
FGM

Oh good.  I planted a Simmonds! ;D
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
The issue could be solved or improved if the produce buyers in supermarket chains would make an effort to buy the right varieties. It would reward the grower that is growing better and  not so prolific varieties.  I get paid in the summer around .19 a lbs of avocado. That same fruit I saw in the supermarket for $2.00. There is no incentive for a grower to produce good quality fruit because he gets paid the same.  To give you an example I have Dupuis in my grove. That is one, if not the finest of our early varieties. You can start picking them in June and I'm still eating them. Simply tasty.  A tree produces 75 lbs vs other varieties not as good that will produce 200 lbs. If you are paid the same which one would you grow?
Avocados need to be sold by variety name just like apples and pears with different prices.  But in all honesty, I don't see the change coming any time soon, the consumers don't insist or demand it.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
I've been here 8 years and have yet to find a good Florida / West Indian avocado. Those of us who immigrated here from California will never adjust to the Watercadoes. Growing up Hass left us spoiled :-(. Do yourself a favor and get a Florida Hass.
Jeff  :-)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »
I've been here 8 years and have yet to find a good Florida / West Indian avocado. Those of us who immigrated here from California will never adjust to the Watercadoes. Growing up Hass left us spoiled :-(. Do yourself a favor and get a Florida Hass.

Agreed. I have yet to have a fl avocado that is even close to a Hass. Putting a lot of faith in the Hawaiian varieties now. They all seem to be growing well for me. Hopefully they fruit well. I have Kahaluu, yamagata, and nishikawa going now.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
The issue could be solved or improved if the produce buyers in supermarket chains would make an effort to buy the right varieties. It would reward the grower that is growing better and  not so prolific varieties.  I get paid in the summer around .19 a lbs of avocado. That same fruit I saw in the supermarket for $2.00. There is no incentive for a grower to produce good quality fruit because he gets paid the same.  To give you an example I have Dupuis in my grove. That is one, if not the finest of our early varieties. You can start picking them in June and I'm still eating them. Simply tasty.  A tree produces 75 lbs vs other varieties not as good that will produce 200 lbs. If you are paid the same which one would you grow?
Avocados need to be sold by variety name just like apples and pears with different prices.  But in all honesty, I don't see the change coming any time soon, the consumers don't insist or demand it.

I'm hoping I can find someone to topwork Dupuis on a section of my Miguel tree (also do a topwork addition of Brogdon to the Lula I'm going to plant).
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 01:02:52 AM »
Hars Services (owned by 'guanabunus' on the forum) does excellent top-working for very reasonable rates in your area. You may want to contact him.

I'm hoping I can find someone to topwork Dupuis on a section of my Miguel tree (also do a topwork addition of Brogdon to the Lula I'm going to plant).

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
Hars Services (owned by 'guanabunus' on the forum) does excellent top-working for very reasonable rates in your area. You may want to contact him.

Har's the man, I know!  Do you think he'd be able to find the Dupuis and Brogdon material for me, or would I have to come up with that myself?
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
You'd have to source that yourself. Maybe ask CTMIAMI to sell you a couple of pieces of budwood via mail?

Har's the man, I know!  Do you think he'd be able to find the Dupuis and Brogdon material for me, or would I have to come up with that myself?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
Sure I can provide the Dupuis
Send me a PM
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Sure I can provide the Dupuis
Send me a PM

Thanks, Carlos.  I'll contact you when I'm ready. :)
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
Finally ate a Florida avocado today that had some flavor.  It's either Miguel or Bernecker, but I don't know how to tell them apart. :-\
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
I had a backyard lula today. It was smaller and less oily than usual. Tasted very good. Did I hear that fall-winter avocados  can get more oily as the season progresses.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
Early September is very early for a Lula.  Commercially get picked after September 30. Probably most will be picked starting in mid October.  A lot of people hold them to January if they can.
Monroes on November 4. Most get picked a few weeks after.
See attached schedule.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
Early September is very early for a Lula.

My neighbor's lula tree put forth way more lula fruits than it could support. Some have been dropping off and this is what I got. Smaller premature fruits. But good tasting....so not the normal lulas I guess. But perfectly edible with some chicken today.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
I tried some ok avocados in Hialeah can someone ID these from my uncles neighbor

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »

Agreed. I have yet to have a fl avocado that is even close to a Hass. Putting a lot of faith in the Hawaiian varieties now. They all seem to be growing well for me. Hopefully they fruit well. I have Kahaluu, yamagata, and nishikawa going now.

Keep us posted on those varieties....I am interested in nishikawa and yamagata but have to wait a bit to see if they're good here in FL.  Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
I can i eat avocados every-day !... The slim avocado at my local Publix taste like nothing.
The Best avocados that i ever tasted was the Monroe & Oro negro that carlos sent me afew month ago.

We had a Feast !.....

Ed..
Zone 10

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 01:40:20 PM »
great to hear, Ed.  I have both Monroe and ON so excited to taste them in a couple years

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk