Author Topic: Watery Avocados (Florida)  (Read 31588 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Watery Avocados (Florida)
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »
Im with Zands !

I can eat 1 Whole Avocado per-day !, i like it with my Salad, Rice & beans and with anything!.
I have replaced  eating meat with Avocado....
After seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdTp_BrTKs   i dont eat Meat anymore..

Ed..

Just the other day Carlos posted about being in a Colombian restaurant. All the diners had a little side plate of watery avocado slices and sliced tomatoes. He observed and saw that all the diners ate their avocados& tomatoes. Of course, Carlos being an avocado grower, he was interested in this

This very common in the Caribbean not just in Latin America
What's the big deal we do the same thing in California with our Hass ...... It not just great for guacamole

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
It gets eaten with salad and meat,japanese food, on toast, in various dips and so many other ways with various sauces and condiments. There seems to be a role for avos at breakfast,lunch and dinner here during the season.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
I have posted as much before>>>
Some people don't understand watery avocados. In Hispanic cuisines they are sliced and eaten on the side at dinner or lunch. They are very good this way. A side plate of tomatoes and watery avocado slices...drizzle olive oil on it and and you make up for any lack of avocado oil.
They are obviously not the best for guacamole but are OK .... you won't die from it

My family (gringos) often eat sliced tomatoes and avocado as a side salad. Sliced avocados on tacos, tuna salad sandwich, etc. and of course in green salads. Guacamole dip is a small percentage of our avocado consumption. Personally I prefer chunky avocado guacamole, see: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/evas-chunky-guacamole-recipe.html

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
I may have misunderstood but, I don't get the logic that in places with cold snaps that it is better to go for the less cold hardy WI hybrids.

Lula (a WI/Guat. hybrid) has been grown commercially in S. Texas for years.   Even in S. Texas where freezes are VERY rare you're gonna have an Arctic blast every couple of decades.  Cold hardy Mexican types may not survive.  Next spring I'm gonna plant a Joey outdoors.  It's one of the Tex-Mex avocados that is said to be cold hardy down to the mid teens.

Here's a nursery in the Brownsville area that sells quite an assortment of WI hybrids. http://www.riversendnursery.com/index.php/online-store/view/category/virtuemart_category_id/1
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:16:16 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Some people don't understand watery avocados. In Hispanic cuisines they are sliced and eaten on the side at dinner or lunch. They are very good this way. A side plate of tomatoes and watery avocado slices...drizzle olive oil on it and and you make up for any lack of avocado oil.
They are obviously not the best for guacamole but are OK .... you won't die from it

My family (gringos) often eat sliced tomatoes and avocado as a side salad. Sliced avocados on tacos, tuna salad sandwich, etc. and of course in green salads. Guacamole dip is a small percentage of our avocado consumption. Personally I prefer chunky avocado guacamole, see: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/evas-chunky-guacamole-recipe.html

Ditto, more often than not we slice and plate up avocados and tomatoes seasoned with S/P and Marie's Spinach salad dressing.  I too hate pasty guacamole'.  I use a spoon to remove the halves and the side of a fork to dice them up, not the face of the fork.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:15:31 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
Personally I prefer chunky avocado guacamole, see: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/evas-chunky-guacamole-recipe.html

Took a gander......that is one weird recipe.  Totally out of balance for my household.   I'd back off on the lemon juice, cilantro and onion, double the avocados from 3 to 6 if they're normal 6 oz Hass, sprinkle in about 1/4 tsp. of Tony Chachares Cajun seasoning and black pepper.  Where's the black pepper in that recipe? 

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
Took a gander......that is one weird recipe.  Totally out of balance for my household.   I'd back off on the lemon juice, cilantro and onion, double the avocados from 3 to 6 if they're normal 6 oz Hass, sprinkle in about 1/4 tsp. of Tony Chachares Cajun seasoning and black pepper.  Where's the black pepper in that recipe?

That was the first recipe I found.  I agree, no need for the lemon juice and you got to add some black pepper...   :)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »
i always make it with too many onions, less is more....btw, Tony's is the ish....i put that stuff on everything
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »

Chunky is the way to go so you can taste random chunks of avocado, not just guacamole

I never heard of Tony Chachares Cajun seasoning but  you can make it>>
http://www.food.com/recipe/tony-chacheres-famous-creole-seasoning-118154
26 ounces salt, free flowing..like Morton's
1 1/2 ounces pepper, black, ground
2 ounces red peppers, ground
1 ounce garlic powder
1 ounce chili powder (like Gebhardt's)
1 ounce Accent seasoning  (MSG)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:30:06 PM by zands »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
chunkies is a good way of enjoying California avocados. a favorite here is pico de gallo, lots of cilantro,dice tomatoes( do not use can),  red onions(prefer it over green), lime( i don't like to use my eurika lemons on this) and of course jalapeno or serano....salt and pepper and viola!!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:52:06 PM by JF »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 06:57:26 AM »
chunkies is a good way of enjoying California avocados. a favorite here is pico de gallo, lots of cilantro,dice tomatoes( do not use can),  red onions(prefer it over green), lime( i don't like to use my eurika lemons on this) and of course jalapeno or serano....salt and pepper and viola!!

Cilantro gives is what I really like. First time I ever had it was at a Del Taco in Georgia. They had an open container of it to spoon onto your plate and I spooned a lot of it. I have made it a few times. If your tomatoes are washed out and no good. You can use 50% canned diced tomatoes and 50% washed out fresh tomatoes. When I have no lime or lemon around I use apple cider vinegar.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:01:25 AM by zands »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
Cilantro gives is what I really like. First time I ever had it was at a Del Taco in Georgia. They had an open container of it to spoon onto your plate and I spooned a lot of it. I have made it a few times. If your tomatoes are washed out and no good. You can use 50% canned diced tomatoes and 50% washed out fresh tomatoes. When I have no lime or lemon around I use apple cider vinegar.

Florida doesn't grow cilantro?  It's in every grocery store in Texas.  I planted it in the garden, it seeded, and now I have a volunteer crop of 100 s.f.  every fall OUTSIDE of the garden growing wild.  Fresh cilantro is much better than store bought, there's no comparison really.  It does best in  cool weather, planted in the fall or late winter, and can stand hard freezes into the teens with no damage.   It doesn't freeze or dry well.  Like all herbs their flavor (oils, flavanoids) is best just before and at the start of flowering.  As it seeds it goes downhill.   Come heat it will bolt (seed). 

Regarding that recipe, I never eliminate the citrus juice, just commented that the juice of 2 lemons for 3 avocados is ridiculous. I want to taste the cado, not lemon juice or onion.  Those flavors should be in the background IMO.

In Texas we use limes (key/Mex preferred) and with one or two avocados just a light squeeze is all you need to keep it fresh and "bright".  I often kick it up a notch with a dash of garlic powder.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:28:36 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »
Hass is the #1 avocado in the world.
It may not be the best tasting avocado variety in the world, but it is rated "excellent" in taste by many people.
Avocados picked too early, like most fruits picked too early, will not taste good.
Commercial growers like Hass for many reasons, size, shipping, shelf-life, high yield, etc.
Most of the avocado buying public like Hass because it looks and tastes like what they expect in an avocado.

Having said that...  I support home growers who grow other varieties.

Rockwood is one of the avocado varieties I am interested in growing.

I like it because it looks different.   :D

Is this a picture of Rockwood?  i ,m growing it but i have not seen it.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »

Florida doesn't grow cilantro?  It's in every grocery store in Texas.  I planted it in the garden, it seeded, and now I have a volunteer crop of 100 s.f.  every fall OUTSIDE of the garden growing wild.  Fresh cilantro is much better than store bought, there's no comparison really.  It does best in  cool weather, planted in the fall or late winter, and can stand hard freezes into the teens with no damage.   It doesn't freeze or dry well.  Like all herbs their flavor (oils, flavanoids) is best just before and at the start of flowering.  As it seeds it goes downhill.   Come heat it will bolt (seed). 

Regarding that recipe, I never eliminate the citrus juice, just commented that the juice of 2 lemons for 3 avocados is ridiculous. I want to taste the cado, not lemon juice or onion.  Those flavors should be in the background IMO.

In Texas we use limes (key/Mex preferred) and with one or two avocados just a light squeeze is all you need to keep it fresh and "bright".  I often kick it up a notch with a dash of garlic powder.

Mark, we use key lime in all our Mexican cuisine , this is California, and always overload on the Hass. I sometimes add blasamic vinegar and red onions are core part of pico de gallo!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »

Is this a picture of Rockwood?  i ,m growing it but i have not seen it.

Yes.

Not my tree and I have not tasted the fruit.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:54:08 PM by ricshaw »

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
HI everyone,

new to the forum but have been growing tropical fruits for a few years in my little backyard in Miami Florida. I am reaching out to get your help on selecting 3 or 4 avocado varieties. I have done tons of research but I am having hard time to decide . I know each person has different opinions on what tastes good but I believe if I tell you what I like you may be able to help (regardless whether my taste coincides with yours or not) - especially considering the level of expertise I see in this forum.

Here is what I am looking for
- Taste is the most important thing: we do like the creamier richer tasting avocados (no pun intended for lighter avocado lovers!). We know that Florida avos tend to be a little lighter so selection needs be sort of a balancing act. We would like for you to recommend among avocado varieties that grow well in South Florida (no risk of freezing in Miami) the very richest and creamiest ones available
- Tree disease resistance is also important although I am more than willing to spend time and money caring for my new avocado trees.
- Would like recommendations for 1 early, 1 mid and 1 late season variety. Also feel free to share the one that is your favorite best taste-wise even if it does not match with my requirements.

Thanks to all of you for reading my post and sending your input my way. Cheers
-

David

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
We all know that Florida avocados don't have the oil content of California avocados.  But so far all the avocados sold here in the stores this summer (as low as 50 cents each), have been EXTREMELY watery and flavorless.  Why is this?  Are they being picked too early?  Can I avoid this problem if I'm growing them at home?

My avo is prolific and the wet fruit are delicious, much relished by all my co-workers who number in the dozens and can't wait for me to bring them in.

Personally I don't care for the west coast pasty avos but like all fruits there are followers. If the ones you're buying are not good I'd go elsewhere to find someone who is buying from another grower.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:09:46 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 09:25:12 AM »
HI everyone,

new to the forum but have been growing tropical fruits for a few years in my little backyard in Miami Florida. I am reaching out to get your help on selecting 3 or 4 avocado varieties. I have done tons of research but I am having hard time to decide . I know each person has different opinions on what tastes good but I believe if I tell you what I like you may be able to help (regardless whether my taste coincides with yours or not) - especially considering the level of expertise I see in this forum.

Here is what I am looking for
- Taste is the most important thing: we do like the creamier richer tasting avocados (no pun intended for lighter avocado lovers!). We know that Florida avos tend to be a little lighter so selection needs be sort of a balancing act. We would like for you to recommend among avocado varieties that grow well in South Florida (no risk of freezing in Miami) the very richest and creamiest ones available
- Tree disease resistance is also important although I am more than willing to spend time and money caring for my new avocado trees.
- Would like recommendations for 1 early, 1 mid and 1 late season variety. Also feel free to share the one that is your favorite best taste-wise even if it does not match with my requirements.

Thanks to all of you for reading my post and sending your input my way. Cheers
-

David

David,

Here's a few good choices for a creamier type avocado that will grow well in South Florida. For summertime get a Brogdan and for fall/winter either a Oro Negro or Monroe. Another option to consider after doing a little research (and finding a grafted tree) is planting one of the Hawaiian varieties that have only recently become available in South Florida. They have a very high fat content, which equals very creamy and will grow in our heat and humidity.

Pine Island Nursery and Top Tropical's, have pretty good avocado variety guides on their websites which you should check out for reference. Four mature producing avocado trees will produce a real, real...lot of avocados so unless you own a guacamole factory maybe consider knocking that downward a tree or two and planting something else in those places. 

Tony         

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 09:48:23 AM »
In addition to the Pine Island Nursery guide (www.tropicalfruittrees.com), please consult Carlos's website (www.myavocadotrees.com) or Carlos personally (CTMIAMI on this forum).  He's evaluating more avocado varieties for South Florida than anyone I know of.
John

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
Thanks Guys! Appreciated the help. Yes I am familiar with both Carlo's webpage and the pine island avocado viewer. I am planning to keep the avo trees small (below 10 foot high) so that production is small but spread across the entire year (if that is possible). Brogdon and Oro negro (or monroe) were already on my  list. Between oro negro and monroe (both late variety) which one is the creamiest?

In his webpage Carlos appear to love the Nishikawa. Would you guys know where to get one? Pine island does not offer it...maybe Excalibur? Thanks again

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2014, 10:07:31 AM »
Thanks Guys! Appreciated the help. Yes I am familiar with both Carlo's webpage and the pine island avocado viewer. I am planning to keep the avo trees small (below 10 foot high) so that production is small but spread across the entire year (if that is possible). Brogdon and Oro negro (or monroe) were already on my  list. Between oro negro and monroe (both late variety) which one is the creamiest?

In his webpage Carlos appear to love the Nishikawa. Would you guys know where to get one? Pine island does not offer it...maybe Excalibur? Thanks again

Carlos believes that Monroe is many times more productive than Oro Negro, but Oro Negro may be creamier and more flavorful although Monroe is still considered an excellent avocado by Florida standards.  I don't know if you can keep an avocado tree at 10 feet and still get enough of a crop to be worthwhile.  I would say avocado trees aren't happy unless they can attain some height.
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
One observation. As recent as yesterday I have come to the personal conclusion that Oro Negro has been recommended too early without sufficient testing. I would not recommend it for home or definitely not for  commercial.
I would "marry" a Monroe with a Catalina, they complement and pollinate each other well. You have two wonderful avocados covering the second 1/2 of the year.  If you have extra space would add an Utuado to cover the period between Catalina and Monroe.
I have many new earlier varieties that will be evaluated in the next 36 month. I'm exited about the Blas, Berta Rodriguez and some of the Hawaiians.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
One observation. As recent as yesterday I have come to the personal conclusion that Oro Negro has been recommended too early without sufficient testing. I would not recommend it for home or definitely not for  commercial.
I would "marry" a Monroe with a Catalina, they complement and pollinate each other well. You have two wonderful avocados covering the second 1/2 of the year.  If you have extra space would add an Utuado to cover the period between Catalina and Monroe.
I have many new earlier varieties that will be evaluated in the next 36 month. I'm exited about the Blas, Berta Rodriguez and some of the Hawaiians.

I may be replaceing my Oro Negro with Monroe!
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »

In that case, maybe I'll top work my Oro negro when it gets larger using monroe and catalina bud wood in the future. I'll probably give it a few years and see how it performs in sandy soil in eastern pembroke pines before I do that.
Alexi

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »
great to hear, Ed.  I have both Monroe and ON so excited to taste them in a couple years

Gunnar - How old is your Oro Negro?
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk