Author Topic: Mangosteen scam  (Read 30042 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Mangosteen scam
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DWARF-Purple-Mangosteen-Garcinia-Mangostana-5-Seeds-Super-rare-46-feet-/111275627323

Look at this guy trying to sell seeds from a grafted mangosteen as some sort of fast bearing dwarf
- David Antonio Garcia

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangosteen scam
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
Ebay is a very dangerous place to shop.  It is full of thieves & idiots, so buyer beware.  Some of the sellers don't know what they are selling and some are just crooks (there are some good, reputable ones as well).  Pictures they post often do not match the description so it leaves you wondering which are they sending you -- what they show you or what they say it is?

I bought seeds for grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta).  Fortunately, I had gotten some Aframomum seeds from Soren so I knew what to expect for appearance.  After a number of notes back & forth, I was able to determine that I got Afrocarpus seeds.  Going through a similar thing right now, trying to determine if the seller is selling cardamom, black cardamom, or sharpleaf galangal (fortunately, I have not ordered yet).

John

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
If you use Paypal, there are no issues- Paypal and Ebay protect buyers and refunds are almost always given for a defective or mislabled product.

But as far as seeds, its hard to ask for a refunds months later...after your seeds have grown into plants

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
Moh'd

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »
More
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mocambo-3-Seeds-/121267156256
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121267150749

BTW,This Guy was a member on this forum.
He still is a member fórum. I buy him a lot of things and never ever had any problem!

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:53:02 AM »
This ad is very very wrong and should either be changed or removed.  There are already too many ficticious claims in our hobby.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »
What?
Super Glue is not an acceptable grafting tool?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DWARF-Purple-Mangosteen-Garcinia-Mangostana-5-Seeds-Super-rare-46-feet-/111275627323

Look at this guy trying to sell seeds from a grafted mangosteen as some sort of fast bearing dwarf

Okay that 4-5 feet is not true but i bought this dwarf mangosteen plant today and it has fruit at a very small size.

My tree is grafted though and i spoke other people who have this tree and had many fruits. They grow about 3-4 metres tall in full soil. I saw them with fruits at 2 feet tall ( 60 cm)

Does anybody have this tree or is it only in Thailand?

Superglue is usable for grafting, i did a tomatograft onto eggplant with it and it worked.

I also bought from this seller and never had problems. I don't understand the scam though? What is the scam? That you have never heard of this tree? There are 2 variety's, one with dark green big shiny leaves and one with marbled green/yellow leaves that look even better. They both give the same fruit, a normal sized mangosteen.

I spoke to people who have them and i have seen several today on the fruit fair. Also i bought one myself. Is this a scam? I hope you understand you are giving an honest seedseller a bad name by this. And you have nothing to proof that this is a scam because it isn't.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:53:10 AM by bangkok »

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
Bangkok
You say
Okay that 4-5 feet is not true but i bought this dwarf mangosteen plant today and it has fruit at a very small size.

My tree is grafted though and i spoke other people who have this tree and had many fruits. They grow about 3-4 metres tall in full soil. I saw them with fruits at 2 feet tall ( 60 cm)

Does anybody have this tree or is it only in Thailand

If 4- 5 feet is not true and yours is grafted.The ones on sale are seeds not grafted plants.You then say they grow 3-4 meters but you you saw them grow at 2 feet.
So what is right hight  of those dwaf mangosteens ?You confuse me here

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
All mangosteen varieties seem to get big in the end with enough time but the trees vary in shape and probably precocity. They get way bigger than 4m. I have seen 5 to 6 footers with fruit and my large leafed type had fruit when not much bigger.If I cut the top off it may have had fruit at 5ft.Trees snapped off from cyclone damage can fruit while very short as the regrow.
Grafted ones do fruit while small but the jury is still out on whether they have productive lives often enough.
I have never seen a true dwarf. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
I saw a one foot tall mangosteen plant with fruit in Thailand. Have a photo of it somewhere. It is a trick. What they do is graft on a branch from a mature tree that has an immature fruit on it. This was done at an experimental station as an experiment and i guess has caught on by the tricksters. But that plant will not make any of its own fruit. And certainly is not a dwarf.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
Well i don't know much about mangosteen tree's but on the fair they sold dwarf and normal mangosteen plants. They look the same to me but the dwarfs had bigger leaves if i understood it well.

Yes they fruit very small and also will fruit the next season. I spoke to another person who carried the same tree as i bought and she told us it grows 3-4 metres in full soil, she allready grew one and bought some more, also the marbled-leaf variety. Maybe they stay smaller in a pot?

If it is a trick i don't know, i wondered why they sold me a grafted tree if they really fruit after 2 years of planting the seed.

I also have no idea if the seeds from the dwarf will grow into dwarf tree's as well.

I do know that it is possible to grow this tree in a pot on a balcony and it will give fruit. That's what many people want who don't have a big garden.

So if i understand it well then this dwarf is just a common grafted mangosteentree? And if you grow it from seed it is just a normal mangosteen seedling? Nothing dwarf about it?

Maybe the seller accused of "scamming" doesn't know that info, This is Thailand you know, nobody knows anything for sure here. The only thing that i know for sure is that i saw very small tree's bearing fruit. So it is possible to have mangosteen fruiting on a balcony.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:51:43 AM »
There is no mangosteen that produces fruit in 2 years from time of planting seed. You're not doing your homework! If you believe this you will also be sold the Eiffel tower.  :o
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 01:22:57 AM »
There is no mangosteen that produces fruit in 2 years from time of planting seed. You're not doing your homework! If you believe this you will also be sold the Eiffel tower.  :o

Oscar my wife bought a miniature eiffeltower in Paris, so it is possible. ;)

Well okay then it is impossible to have mangosteens fruiting in 2 years grown from seed. I think the seller which this thread is about also didn't know that and will stop selling them to keep a good reputation.

They can fruit in 2 years when grafted, that's something else.

I didn't check all the tree's that they are selling on the fair wether they were grafted or not. I wouldnt call it a scam though. Scammers belong on the list of scammers, this was a misunderstanding i guess.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 02:35:41 AM »
Grafted mangosteen trees also will not fruit in 2 years. Part of the reason that mangosteen fruit is so costly is that it takes very many years to get them to fruit.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:52:39 AM »
Grafted mangosteen trees also will not fruit in 2 years. Part of the reason that mangosteen fruit is so costly is that it takes very many years to get them to fruit.

Oh i see, well then it is a special mangosteen variety that i bought or they have a special trick. Even if it is some trick or not, i met a lady who said her tree was giving fruit and she bought it last year, the grafted dwarf mangosteen just like i bought.

I noticed that the one i bought has big leaves, bigger then the regular mangosteentree's that were for sale. For the rest i just bought it for fun to grow in a big pot.  It fits in my collection of achacha, pulasan, lemon drop and for 5us$ i had to buy it for my addiction. Mine didn't have fruits that's why it was cheaper then a same size one with fruit.

Maybe the seller of these seeds can explain more, i'm pretty sure the intention was not to scam or fool customers. Maybe the seller knows more then we do about this variety.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »
There are lots and lots of vendors on eBay that are less than honest. There is no dwarf mangosteen and no mangosteen that bears in 18 months in a pot as this seller claims. That is the whole point of this thread.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 03:43:55 AM »
There are lots and lots of vendors on eBay that are less than honest. There is no dwarf mangosteen and no mangosteen that bears in 18 months in a pot as this seller claims. That is the whole point of this thread.

Well ebay has even more vendors that have a good reputation and don't scam.

But i believe you if you say that NO mangosteen grown from seed will bear fruit within 2 years. I allready wondered why they sold me a grafted tree and not a seedling if they fruit so fast.

I should try it myself here in Thailand to know it for sure but i allready have a tree now.

I still don't understand how they can sell grafted mangosteens from 50 cm that have fruit and will continu to bear fruit every year. I will see if i have fruit next year. I saw many vendors selling these tree's so there must be something true about it. I also wouldn't be surprised if some vendors sell seedlings and claim they bear fruit in 2 years. Too bad i can't speak thai with them.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »
From seed to fruiting tree won't ever happen in under 5 years.I have one that fruited after 5 years in the ground and was planted as a seedling over 12 months old. That is a pretty good effort and 8 years is more usual even for healthy trees.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 04:09:58 AM »

Well ebay has even more vendors that have a good reputation and don't scam.

But i believe you if you say that NO mangosteen grown from seed will bear fruit within 2 years. I allready wondered why they sold me a grafted tree and not a seedling if they fruit so fast.

I should try it myself here in Thailand to know it for sure but i allready have a tree now.

I still don't understand how they can sell grafted mangosteens from 50 cm that have fruit and will continu to bear fruit every year. I will see if i have fruit next year. I saw many vendors selling these tree's so there must be something true about it. I also wouldn't be surprised if some vendors sell seedlings and claim they bear fruit in 2 years. Too bad i can't speak thai with them.

I thought you didn't like mangosteen because they are too hard to peel open? Why are you even planting it?  :o  Ok let us know if it fruits next year. Also let us know if the tooth fairy leaves any money under your pillow?  ;)
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 06:13:55 AM »
I like mangosteens but i need big ones and i eat them outside with a knife. You were the farmer who can eat them without the knife. Wonder what your clothes look like after eating them.

I just was on the fair again and checked the mangosteen tree's. They were all grafted and some had fruits, i checked their graftunions and they sure are older then a year, so i bet they fruit every year. How else can they bear fruit with an old graftunion?

I think there is something with Thai mangosteen that is only known in Thailand, some Thai secret. My tree has a graftunion from like 6-8 months  i guess, it still had the rope around the graft, rope not tape! The ones with fruit had unions that were almost not noticable anymore, totally joint together.

I will show pics next year if mine has fruit or flowers.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
Anyone with an air-layered Mangosteen?
Michael

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:37 PM »

Airlayers do not work with mangosteen . In Honduras ( Lancetilla ) they approach graft the mangosteen .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »
I just looked at the other stuff this fellow sells , noticed that the leaves of the Mocambo do not match , they should be big and round .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »

Airlayers do not work with mangosteen . In Honduras ( Lancetilla ) they approach graft the mangosteen .

Interesting. Top Tropical Nursery says their Mangosteens are airlayered.

Michael