Author Topic: Size of red jabo tree?  (Read 2021 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Size of red jabo tree?
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
Can anyone tell me the size of a red jabo tree when grown in pretty much tropical conditions? Trying to figure out where to plant mine out. Do they have aggressive roots?
Thanks!

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Size of red jabo tree?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:36:31 AM »
Jabos don't have aggressive roots, they pretty much stay within the canopy.
As for size, I've seen them 10 ft tall in pots for sale at a nursery here and they did cost a pretty penny, don't know how old they were though... will take pics next time I go by.
- Marius

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »
As for size, I've seen them 10 ft tall in pots for sale at a nursery here and they did cost a pretty penny, don't know how old they were though... will take pics next time I go by.

Which nursery was this? I bought a decent sized 25 gallon, was not cheap lol but damn a 10 ft red jabo is a monster producer already I would assume.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »
Thanks! But I'm hoping to find out how big they want to get in the ground after 10 years or so. Long term planning. :)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:19:00 PM »
up to 60 feet

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:38:29 PM »

Which nursery was this? I bought a decent sized 25 gallon, was not cheap lol but damn a 10 ft red jabo is a monster producer already I would assume.

It was FL nursery mart and it was sold. On a second look it seems like a Sabara (small leaf) variety, couldn't find any employee who knew exactly, but still it gives you an idea of its imposing size and decent root ball, pretty green and healthy looking.

- Marius

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:46:34 PM »
Nursery near by has Sabara (More vigorous than Red) that are easily 20+ years old. Well fed. Mulched. And under a constant AC line drip for water.

They're probably 12-15 feet tall. maybe 12+inch girth.

In general, i don't think they're vigorous or aggressive trees.
- Colin

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:55:06 PM »

Curious how tall is the 25 gal, I have a 5ft tall red one sitting in ground in 15 gal for now, close to the gutter of course.

- Marius

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »

Curious how tall is the 25 gal, I have a 5ft tall red one sitting in ground in 15 gal for now, close to the gutter of course.

the red I got in 25 was only about 4 ft tall if that. 

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »
Only person that would probably know the mature size of a red one is Adam from FFF, as he could have some of the oldest specimens on this forum...although he is located in subtropics.
- Marius

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 03:26:46 AM »
I forget which one the red is but

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jaboticabas.html

Jaboticaba trees are slow-growing, in M. tenella, shrubby, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 ft (1-1.35 m) high; in M. trunciflora, 13 to 23 or rarely 40 ft (4-7 or 12 m); in the other species usually reaching 35 to 40 ft (10.5-12 m). They are profusely branched, beginning close to the ground and slanting upward and outward so that the dense, rounded crown may attain an ultimate spread of 45 ft (13.7 m).

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
Thanks yeah I have that, but since the red is a hybrid and it's not listed it doesn't really give the answer I'm hoping for.  60ft is pretty huge! Can you keep them smaller with pruning or do they not like that? True, we need Adam to chime in here, or maybe Cookie Monster?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk