Author Topic: Newest members of the mango family  (Read 19082 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Newest members of the mango family
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
Today I landed a pretty nice haul:

(All of these are ready to be potted up to 7's and 15's)

3 gal Mesk

3 gal Kastooree (I know, I just like diversity)

7 gal Emerald

7 gal Bangalore

Welcome to the family boys!  Some are more exciting than others but, at the end of the day, we are happy to add you all. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:24:34 PM by dongeorgio »
George

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Newest members of the mango family
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
Interesting sounding acquisitions, I hope they pan out. Please make sure that they have adequate Nitrogen and minor element fertilizer, so that you can report back to us with all the details as soon as possible.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »
Is somebody in competition with Harry ;)

Don't forget to send me, some boxes of all the excess fruits you can't consume, when your trees start producing ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:31:57 PM by thao »

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »
Seng,

Harry is in a league all his own.  I think Fairchild is in competition with Harry and thats about it.  That being said, I have started making low ball offers for another empty acre on my street.  It is a long shot but one I am willing to take and if I can score that extra land . . . look out Harry! 
George

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Where did you get the Bangalore?

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »

3 gal Mesk

7 gal Emerald

7 gal Bangalore

Welcome to the family boys!  Some are more exciting than others but, at the end of the day, we are happy to add you all. 

What is there to know about kasturi/kastooree? All I know is that they are good fruit!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
Don G , I want to be like you when I grow up man ;)..

Congrats on your amazing collection & good luck acquiring the Acre Lot !..

Ed..
Zone 10

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »

3 gal Mesk

7 gal Emerald

7 gal Bangalore

What is there to know about kasturi/kastooree? All I know is that they are good fruit!

It is my understanding that it is sub par and full of fiber.  Was I misinformed and I actually have a winner on my hands?

George

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:06:06 PM »
Nice, George, but if you want your mango plants to give fruits, maybe you shouldn't call them "boys". :)
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 02:23:55 AM »

3 gal Mesk

7 gal Emerald

7 gal Bangalore

It is my understanding that it is sub par and full of fiber.  Was I misinformed and I actually have a winner on my hands?

Dongeorgio, kasturi is a very nice tasting fruit, very similar to mango, and has very little fiber. In my opinion it's one of the best of the mango relatives. The only problem with kasturi is that they tend to be quite small, as you can see in photo. But they make up in taste what they lack in size. Another great thing about kasturi is that they will fruit where mangos won't: here in very rainy areas. I'm thinking it's probably more cold tolerant than mango being originally from highland tropics. Here is a photo of frui: from one of my trees:

Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »
Cool :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:04:27 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »
Will Kasturi cross with Mango?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
Kasturi is the best mangifera sp besides indica that I have tasted. It's a small fruit but with a very intense and rich passionfruit-mango taste. Here you can see some purple kasturis with some mangos:

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
Kasturi is the best mangifera sp besides indica that I have tasted. It's a small fruit but with a very intense and rich passionfruit-mango taste. Here you can see some purple kasturis with some mangos:

And THAT, my friends, is why you can never leave a mango you do not have at a nursery.  We saw it sitting alone next to a bunch of 3 gal mesks and a mediocre acquaintance tried to dissuade me but I could not be deterred.  Welcome home Kasturi. 
George

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

Thanks Oscar for the great pictures....as always.  I have this planted out, a gift of the infamous Lycheeluva from Brooklyn.  He was down for the mango festival and when Richard Campbell described the flavor of this mango relative as similar to lychee, he bolted out of his chair in the lecture room and ran to the sales area and bought one of the trees.  Later, reflecting on his impulsiveness, he thought the tree would do better at my place and so he left it with me....with the understanding, of course, that he is entitled to fruit royalties.  No flowering yet on mine, the tree is still kind of small, but growing nicely.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
HAHAHAHA

Thanks Oscar for the great pictures....as always.  I have this planted out, a gift of the infamous Lycheeluva from Brooklyn.  He was down for the mango festival and when Richard Campbell described the flavor of this mango relative as similar to lychee, he bolted out of his chair in the lecture room and ran to the sales area and bought one of the trees.  Later, reflecting on his impulsiveness, he thought the tree would do better at my place and so he left it with me....with the understanding, of course, that he is entitled to fruit royalties.  No flowering yet on mine, the tree is still kind of small, but growing nicely.
Jeff  :-)

natsgarden123

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

I really think this mango like thing is cool and different and I would LOVE to have it in my collection. But this made me laugh...I actually grabbed a tree myself, only to put it when I thought about my husband at home...pouring gasoline on new planting and telling me that the tree just didnt take.....

Congrats on your new acquisitions  :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
Seng,

Harry is in a league all his own.  I think Fairchild is in competition with Harry and thats about it.  That being said, I have started making low ball offers for another empty acre on my street.  It is a long shot but one I am willing to take and if I can score that extra land . . . look out Harry!

I may have to move back to Coconut Creek so I can help you with your mango trees (and I don't just mean eating the fruit)!
John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 09:22:26 PM »
And THAT, my friends, is why you can never leave a mango you do not have at a nursery.  We saw it sitting alone next to a bunch of 3 gal mesks and a mediocre acquaintance tried to dissuade me but I could not be deterred. Welcome home Kasturi. 

Someone has to save you from your underdeveloped palate.

Oh.. and did you remember to protect your trees from the cold?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
Will Kasturi cross with Mango?

Maybe. I know mango will cross with kuini (odorata), so maybe it's also possible with kasturi.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:25 PM »

Kasturi is a great fruit, but i don't honestly see any resemblance to taste of lychee. I would just decribe it as an intense mango taste. Most folks couldn't tell it apart from mango if tasting blindfolded.
Oscar

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
George,  to echo Alex's question,  might we ask you where you found such rare and exotic cultivars?

I'm making lowball offers in my neighborhood too................

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
X
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:00:18 PM by omarudy »

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 06:20:11 PM »
Picked up some fairly normal varieties to fill in the gaps in my collection but also had some grafts do a second push so I am now confident enough in their survival to add them to my list:

Purchased

Bailey's Marvel
Bombay
Cogshall
Haden
Irwin
Jakarta

Grafted

Aung Dim
Diplomatico
Maha Chanok
Mamita
Manohar
Seinta Lone
Springfels
Ugly Betty

I've got some pretty cool stuff coming down the pipeline but I will reveal it as it comes to fruition.  I would hate to mention it and not get it or, worse yet, have the grafts not take and kill our chances at some really cool and tasty, off the beaten path cultivars.

I now have a Springfels and Ugly Betty that I am willing to trade now that these grafts took. 
George

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 10:42:50 PM »
I am sensitive to the leaves and skin and sap of mangos.   It results in contact dermatitis.   

Does anyone know if kasturi would present the same issues?

Brad
Brad