Author Topic: Help with Sugar Belle, Citrus greening, and Asian psyllid prevention/treatment  (Read 1273 times)

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
I found out recently that my preferred nursery is supplying Sugar Belle in 5 gallon pots, and am super tempted to give citrus another shot. I haven’t touched citrus since all my trees died due to HLB almost a decade ago. I live in the suburbs where every other house once had a thriving citrus tree - not anymore of course - but now there’s an ailing tree on every block that homeowners refuse to destroy that does nothing but breed psyllids all year long.

The variety is toted as “tolerant” of the disease but I am wary of taking the chance with a young tree, so I figure my best chance of success will be a superior nutrition plan as well as control and prevention of psyllids for as long as possible until the tree gets size.

Pre-HLB I never had much issue with insect pests beyond leafminers, aphids, and occasional katydid outbreaks, so am not very familiar with most insecticides and their proper use. What chemicals would one recommend, and how often for treatment? I assume I’ll at least need one systemic and a contact insecticide. Product recommendations would be highly appreciated. I know I have a lot of reading still to do but am interested in the treatment plants of others and what they do to cope.

Lastly for those with the cultivar living in a psyllid heavy area - how does the tree perform even when infected? Is there a noticeable difference or not at all?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:11:06 PM by IndigoEmu »

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
This treats HLB or greening and is available on amazon look for my post about treating HLB so I don’t have to repost all the papers on it

Brassinolide 0.2% Water Soluble 50g with Instructions By Power Grown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PGZFKR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_j07MDbK30S2AX

dlhvac

• durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
That is enough to treat 25 trees for a year

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
That is enough to treat 25 trees for a year

Interesting. Do you have personal experience using it?

dlhvac

• durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
Yes I recovered four trees with it it’s been two years since I started they look great now

dlhvac

• durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2681997B1/en

Patent for treatment of greening by Cuban scientists that discovered it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk