Author Topic: Manatee Rare Fruit Council Tree Sale Sunday, May 20th  (Read 4451 times)

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
Manatee Rare Fruit Council Tree Sale Sunday, May 20th
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »
The Manatee Rare Fruit Council's annual tree sale is Sunday, May 20th at the Bradenton Area Convention Center.
There are over 20 vendors and typically around 5000 plants.
Admission is free

If you come, stop by and say hello. We would love to meet other fruit growers. Our booth is in the back, inside left corner (Sulcata Grove)

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Manatee Rare Fruit Council Tree Sale Sunday, May 20th
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this show! What are you most excited to bring to the show? Anything new and exciting?
John

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this show! What are you most excited to bring to the show? Anything new and exciting?
Probably grafted purple passion fruit vines (these are doing great at our place and out producing the non grafted vines with no signs of crown rot so far). Also Fe’i bananas, some Inga trees, a nicely branched Dream and grafted Jackfruit trees which look great right now.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 05:21:08 PM »
Are there going to be any mangos for sale?

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
There should be many vendors with mango trees.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »
There should be many vendors with mango trees.

Thanks.  I'll probably buy a couple trees.  Will there be any mango fruit available for sale?

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »

Thanks.  I'll probably buy a couple trees.  Will there be any mango fruit available for sale?

Doubtful. I’ve seen White Sapotes for sale in years past, but not mangos - still early

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
The Manatee Rare Fruit Council's annual tree sale is Sunday, May 20th at the Bradenton Area Convention Center.
Admission is free

If you come, stop by and say hello. We would love to meet other fruit growers. Our booth is in the back, inside left corner (Sulcata Grove)

Not to be a PITA but do you know what varieties of White Sapote may be present?  Specifically looking for Bonita/Supersweet. 

Thanks.
- Marley

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
    • Alisha's Backyard Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
I'm still on the lookout for some more white sapote as well, I'd love to get my hands on a Bonita Springs, Supersweet, or Younghans Gold. Sadly I'll be on the other side of the state so I'll be missing it this year.  :P

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »
Admission is free

Not to be a PITA but do you know what varieties of White Sapote may be present?  Specifically looking for Bonita/Supersweet. 

Thanks.

I don’t know. We are not personally bringing any. Wayne Clifton might be bringing some along with other vendors. I don’t have a vendor list though.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 03:52:28 PM »
I decided to go to the Sale on the fly from Broward County on way to central Fl. Seemed like they had more patrons buying trees this year than last years one. Got Siamese, Cambodina, Amarapali, and Graham mango trees. Time will tell if these are true. Saw 3 Fiji Dwarf coconut trees for sale (~2ft tall)....snagged one just in case and in the event it was true.  Saw Adam (FlyingFox) and got some stuff from him as well. Got a Blue Java from GoingBananas as well. Will definitely go again next year God willing. Spent about $500.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
Probably grafted purple passion fruit vines (these are doing great at our place and out producing the non grafted vines with no signs of crown rot so far). Also Fe’i bananas, some Inga trees, a nicely branched Dream and grafted Jackfruit trees which look great right now.

Geo - did somebody buy that dream you brought with you?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
We went and it looked like Black Friday when we arrived.   Concert parking skills came in handy.

Lisa came from the space coast and we drove through rain to get there.   So many people and plants it took awhile to get up to speed.  She talked to Adam while I went looking for  atemoya so I missed him. Got a Lisa atemoya, red custard apple, tropic beauty peach and bearss lemon while she got a sweet tamarind, a bearss lemon and a vanilla orchid

We had been searching for the lemon for some time.

We just missed the line and  wagons full of plants were headed out already.

Got the Tamarind and Custard apple from Geo and Lisa sang the mango song for them but just the first word thank goodness

First time there but will get in line next time to get the rare stuff

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »
Bearss Lime?
Space coast = blessed coast left coast best coast?

We went and it looked like Black Friday when we arrived.   Concert parking skills came in handy.

Lisa came from the space coast and we drove through rain to get there.   So many people and plants it took awhile to get up to speed.  She talked to Adam while I went looking for  atemoya so I missed him. Got a Lisa atemoya, red custard apple, tropic beauty peach and bearss lemon while she got a sweet tamarind, a bearss lemon and a vanilla orchid

We had been searching for the lemon for some time.

We just missed the line and  wagons full of plants were headed out already.

Got the Tamarind and Custard apple from Geo and Lisa sang the mango song for them but just the first word thank goodness

First time there but will get in line next time to get the rare stuff

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 02:46:11 AM »
Just out of curiosity what kind of lychee did they have for sale?

Bill

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »

:) Made my day! My favorite part of the sale is meeting all of the other growers!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
Lisa liked the mango song so much I looked it up for her. We both enjoy your taste tastes and hope you will have more.

Bearss is from the Bearss Farm in Lutz Florida. A true lemon it’s the best lemon  for these parts due to its origins.   Lemon is replacing other citrus because it can out run greening.  Meaning you can get crops and make a profit before it goes into decline.  First choice for the new acres is the bearss. 

Space coast is on The Atlantic side near Orlando. NASA and the cape are a big part of the waterfront

We have the Emerald Coast, the Forgotten Coast, the Treasure Coast as well and I think a couple more

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:37:49 PM by WGphil »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I never knew :)
I like that nickname.
Bearss Lime is the prolific growing citrus that is planted in many yards in my town.