Author Topic: SoCal mango trees for sale  (Read 1830 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
SoCal mango trees for sale
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:57:54 PM »
I have a few mango trees for sale that are grafted onto California grown and vetted mango seedlings. I grow my seedlings outdoors unprotected through at least one Winter to vet them. Some seedlings are just weak and grow too slowly or succumb to disease or the cold of Winter. I only keep the strongest and most vigorous to use as rootstocks.

Some of these grafted trees are part of my experiments with different rootstocks so it would be great if you can report back every once in a while with a status update.

First tree is a CAC/COC tree grafted onto White Pirie seedling for $100

Second tree is Orange Essence grafted onto Fruit Cocktail seedling for $100

Third tree is Sweet Tart grafted onto Fruit Cocktail seedling for $100. Here it is holding fruit and after panicles removed.

Simon

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal mango trees for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »
I would like to purchase a grafted sweet tart mango tree please. I can pick up tomorrow

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 12:13:03 AM »
Thanks everyone, the three trees are sold. I may have a few more including some Annonas like Leo Hybrid #3, Rudy #20 Cherimoya and a couple mangos. Cheers,

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:01:27 PM »
Hello everyone here are a few more Mango and Annona trees for sale.

This first tree is an Orange Essence on Kent seedling rootstock for $100. This tree is trifurcated at the top

The next tree is a Sweet Tart grafted onto Kent seedling rootstock for $100. The fruit and panicle were recently removed. This tree has a single top and was topped above three leaf axials so it could trifurcate with the next flush.

The next tree is a Leo Hybrid #3 tree with three branches and is approximately 2-3 feet tall for $65

Next tree is a Rudy #20 tree approximately 2 feet tall with multiple strong branches and great form for $75

The last tree is a multigraft tree with two Leo Hybrid #3 grafts and two Rudy #20 grafts at about 4 feet tall for $100.

Sorry but no shipping. Local pickup in San Diego only. Thanks,

Simon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 11:02:25 PM »
I will take the small Rudy 20.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 11:03:47 PM »
Here’s pictures of the last tree with 4 grafts.

I recommend that the limbs on this last tree be cut back for better branching structure.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:00:25 AM »
The Rudy #20 and the Leo Hybrid #3 trees are sold.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 06:22:35 PM »
For clarification, the Orange Sherbet, Sweet Tart and the multigraft Annona(2x Leo hybrid#3, 2x Rudy#20) are still available.

Simon

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
Hello Simon,

If the Sweet Tart is still available, I would like to purchase it. 

Thank-you,

Tony

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »
Ok Tony, the Sweet Tart is yours and the Orange Essence is pending.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
Thanks everyone, all the trees are sold. For those that purchased a mango tree, here are some tips:

Now is an excellent time to plant mango trees. When you dig your hole, make it square with sharp edges and not round. Loosen the soil in the planting hole and backfill with native soil or if your soil is absolutely horrible, heavy clay for instance, I’ve had good luck mixing native soil with about 30-50% Turface or Pumice. Do not incorporate organic matter into the hole, top dress with it instead.

You need to maximize growth during our warmest weather which starts about now until the end of Summer. Give it frequent diluted feeding with a balanced fertilizer but stop feeding it towards the end of Summer.

Since this tree is grafted, you will have to stake it up in Winter and keep it as vertical as possible. After a couple years, the tree should have excellent form and should start production. Don’t let the tree hold fruit  for at least the first two years.

In Winter when it flowers, allow the bloom to fully form. Once the bloom is fully formed, cut the bloom panicle in half to relieve some weight. Allow the fruit to continue forming until the weather is warm enough for vegetative growth. Just take a look at nearby mango trees and if you see vegetative flush or if nightly average temps are above about 60F, it should be ok to completely remove the bloom panicle.

When you remove the bloom panicle, make sure you cut it below the first intercalation. This is the area beneath the bloom panicle where you see a dense cluster of leaves. If you cut above this first intercalation, you will have many weak branches. Select an area that has about 3-4 leaf axials.

You can cut above the first intercalation but if you do, it is recommended that you thin the branches.

Since this tree is grafted, you will have to stake it up in Winter and keep it as vertical as possible. After a couple years, the tree will have excellent form and should start production. Don’t let the tree hold fruit  for the first year or better yet, two years.

In Winter when it flowers, allow the bloom to fully form. Once the bloom is fully formed, cut the bloom panicle in half to relieve some weight. Allow the fruit to continue forming until the weather is warm enough for vegetative growth. Just take a look at nearby mango trees and if you see vegetative flush or if nightly average temps are above about 60F, it should be ok to completely remove the bloom panicle.

When you remove the bloom panicle, make sure you cut it below the first intercalation. This is the area beneath the bloom panicle where you see a dense cluster of leaves. If you cut above this first intercalation, you will have many weak branches. Select an area that has about 3-4 leaf axials.

You can cut above the first intercalation but if you do, it is recommended that you thin the branches.

https://www.growables.org/information/documents/MangoPruningStrategies.pdf

For those of you that are picking up a mango tree from me. I am giving you a free spray bottle of a complete fertilizer that I mixed up to ensure your tree gets off to a good start. Make sure to spray only in the very early  morning or in the evening when the sun is about to set in order to avoid burning the tree. Do not spray in full sun!

The spray is a complex mixture of multiple nutrients that includes Silica, Ca, Fe, Mg, Mn and all the major, minor and trace elements. You only need to spray the undersides of the leaves about every two weeks and the spray works best on new leaves or young developing leaves. Please wear appropriate PPE(Personal Protective Gear) just as you would if you were applying Miracle Gro or any other type of fertilizer.

Simon
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:38:45 PM by simon_grow »