Author Topic: Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!  (Read 11488 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2018, 03:07:16 PM »
Add mango leaf to the list

http://www.beautyepic.com/benefits-of-mango-leaves
Have you ever tried it? How does it taste?
I bet almost every tree can be found to have some medicinal use or other if properly studied, and properly applied.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
Add mango leaf to the list

http://www.beautyepic.com/benefits-of-mango-leaves
Have you ever tried it? How does it taste?
I bet almost every tree can be found to have some medicinal use or other if properly studied, and properly applied.

Have not tried this yet.  A colleague told me about it today.  He swears several people got out of control blood sugar down.  I know several people with such issues (western diet, not the absence of mango leaf is the issue...) so took note.  Guava and mango leaf tea coming next.  We are going through loquat leaf tea fast.  My weekly batch is lasting a mere 2-3 days.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »
3) Either this was some crazy timing, or maybe I'm having a very strong psychosomatic effect..... OR, this stuff does exactly what it says on the tin.   I was only a quarter of the way into the mug when I noticed that I felt sleepy.  And not "normal sleepy"; but like something was actively dragging my awakeness level down.

That sounds almost scary! If anyone here reads Robin Hobb, "A leaf to sleep, two to dull pain, three for a merciful grave," although that was written for the mythical "carryme" herb/poison.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 12:04:47 AM »
Some people are ultra sensitive. Others can have allergic reactions. So first time trying any of these teas it's good to make a very weak diffusion.
Oscar

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2018, 05:26:42 AM »
Regarding guava leaf tea, is it ok to use the leaves which became red from cold during winter? did you try to make tea out of them?

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »
So my father has suffered from insomnia for a very long time and was very skeptical about the passion fruit leaf tea. He often had to take tranquilizers to help him go to sleep and stay asleep. He is a retired doctor and does not believe in homeopathic and herbal medicine. That being said, we made him try the tea. 3 fresh leaves steeped for 15 minutes and drank an hour before bed. It worked so well for him that now he will not go to bed without drinking it. He has been drinking it every night for almost 2 month and swears by it. So thanks Karenrei and everyone else for the very helpful post :)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2018, 02:53:35 AM »
Awesome! I just picked one of these plants up, I can't wait to try this out. My wife can't sleep some nights and marijuana helps her sometimes but I'm down for a cheaper alternative!
-Kris

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »
So my father has suffered from insomnia for a very long time and was very skeptical about the passion fruit leaf tea. He often had to take tranquilizers to help him go to sleep and stay asleep. He is a retired doctor and does not believe in homeopathic and herbal medicine. That being said, we made him try the tea. 3 fresh leaves steeped for 15 minutes and drank an hour before bed. It worked so well for him that now he will not go to bed without drinking it. He has been drinking it every night for almost 2 month and swears by it. So thanks Karenrei and everyone else for the very helpful post :)
If it convinced a skeptical doctor then we know it's the real deal.
Oscar

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »
WHITE SAPOTE LEAF TEA, i decided to try this on my wife as she has high blood pressure but first i bought a blood pressure monitor and checked her for 5 weeks average was 153/86 she drinks 1 coffee cup full each night before bed (yes it does help you sleep more restfully ) it has now been 6 months and her average for the last 5 weeks is 132/72  so yes i can say for sure this works.                                             Regards     Patrick

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »
I realize it has been mentioned already in this thread, but it bears mentioning again.

The active drug compound in Passiflora is Harman(/l). The compound acts as an MAOI.

This means that if you use the Harmal for its drug properties you must consider the consequences, as doctors do not prescribe MAOI type medications unless the benefits outweigh the risks.

If you eat foods which are made of aged protein such as dry aged steak, cheese, soy sauce, cup soups, cold cuts, chocolate, or generally any food which has a 'savory'/'umami' taste you should be prepared to forego all of them for the normally non-toxic monoamines in the foods become potentially quite toxic when Harmal alkaloids are consumed.

The main worry is a hypertensive crisis, splitting migraine, and a trip to the ER.

The compound is in no way innocuous, so bear that in mind when pursuing a regimen.

FWIIW, the native tribes who used the Passiflora for its effects did not consume aged protein as a staple of their diet.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
Oolie, Can you share sources for this information?

pemmican, a Native American food, I would consider an aged protein.
From Wikipedia: “Traditionally, pemmican was prepared from the lean meat of large game such as bison, elk, deer, or moose. The meat was cut in thin slices and dried, either over a slow fire or in the hot sun until it was hard and brittle. . . The resulting mixture was then packed into rawhide bags for storage. It can be stored for a maximum of 10 years.“

Certainly caution should always be exercised when taking any medicinal substance, herbal or Otherwise