Author Topic: Choc-Anon/Miracle Mango Flavor - Fair, Good, Very Good?  (Read 6410 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Choc-Anon/Miracle Mango Flavor - Fair, Good, Very Good?
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »
Hey All

I realize beggars can't be choosers when it comes to winter mango varieties, but among those who have had it how would you rate it for flavor?  Same question for Rosigold & Thai everbearing

Thanks!!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:28:50 AM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Choc-Anon/Miracle Mango - Flavor rating. Rosigold or Choc Anon for an early?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 11:40:57 PM »
Can anyone provide info or a link for Thai Everbearing Mangos?  Tks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:30:34 AM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Choc-Anon/Miracle Mango Flavor - Fair, Good, Very Good?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »
Choc Anon sucks.  Dont bother with trying to get a winter bearing variety.   A winter bearing mango in Florida is more of a misnomer than fact.  Also, in your zone, you would encounter more problems in the winter than trying to find something to give you quality fruit.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
Choc Anon sucks.  Dont bother with trying to get a winter bearing variety.   A winter bearing mango in Florida is more of a misnomer than fact.  Also, in your zone, you would encounter more problems in the winter than trying to find something to give you quality fruit.

Rob
We've had good success with choc anon's winter crop. It hangs in the tree until February and records high brix (26 last January) in the heart of winter.....

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »
So far the comments on Choc-Anon seem to usually run about 50-50 on whether it does fruit in Winter or not.  Some say it never does for them, while others say it works for them.  I will assume that at least "some" people have had success with it.

So assuming that it actually does fruit in winter for "some" people is it a good tasting enough fruit to justify a spot in the yard, factoring in that in that it appears to have no other winter competition.............or is it the Mango version of "kissing your sister"and you're better being satisfied eating tangerines and just waiting for the first early season mangos?

Rob
We've had good success with choc anon's winter crop. It hangs in the tree until February and records high brix (26 last January) in the heart of winter.....

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »

So far the comments on Choc-Anon seem to usually run about 50-50 on whether it does fruit in Winter or not.  Some say it never does for them, while others say it works for them.  I will assume that at least "some" people have had success with it.

So assuming that it actually does fruit in winter for "some" people is it a good tasting enough fruit to justify a spot in the yard, factoring in that in that it appears to have no other winter competition.............or is it the Mango version of "kissing your sister"and you're better being satisfied eating tangerines and just waiting for the first early season mangos?

Rob

I find it okay, nothing special if you get it in the summer but if its the only mango around I'd be more than happy to eat it.
Keep in mind that mango season in Florida and California is different. Florida's mangos season is primarily June-July, but with the right varieties you can go from March to November.
I think SoCal season starts after Florida, but I don't know the exact window.

With that said, i planted one in the ground around 5 yrs ago, its 15ft tall but hasn't produce a great crop yet.
Hopefully this year it produce as it wasn't in the most ideal conditions.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
I tried Choc Anon for the first time this season and it was nothing special by any means.  It was however a fresh mango so I enjoyed it :)  There were no blooms/small fruit for a "winter crop" on the tree just gobs of mangoes.  A Prahm Kai Meu (spelling?) planted next to the Choc anon was light years better tasting and it actually had blooms all over it along with ripe fruit.
- Marley

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »
It has some winter or 'off-season' fruit every other year or so. It's an average mango but some people seem to enjoy it.

Hey All

I realize beggars can't be choosers when it comes to winter mango varieties, but among those who have had it how would you rate it for flavor?  Same question for Rosigold & Thai everbearing

Thanks!!

I think Rosigold and Thai Everbearing are both superior tasting. Thai Everbearing in particular.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »
@Squam

1. Is Thai Everbearing truly "everbearing" as in it can fruit off-season anytime conditions are right or does it truly hold fruit "most" of the year round usually?  It sounds like the best possible solution for off-season fruit of decent quality.

2. I have heard people discuss TE, but despite repeatedly looking I have never seen any nurseries that are propagating it, listing it or selling it.  Do you know of anybody that is?

3. Being apparently Asian, is TE a "Poly" that will reliably grow true from seed?

Thanks you are my new favorite Mango guru : ) 

It has some winter or 'off-season' fruit every other year or so. It's an average mango but some people seem to enjoy it.

Hey All

Thanks!!

I think Rosigold and Thai Everbearing are both superior tasting. Thai Everbearing in particular.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »

1. Is Thai Everbearing truly "everbearing" as in it can fruit off-season anytime conditions are right or does it truly hold fruit "most" of the year round usually?  It sounds like the best possible solution for off-season fruit of decent quality.

Its like Chokanon. It will fruit in the off-season some years, but it is not truly "everbearing". It definitely doesn't hold fruit year round.

2. I have heard people discuss TE, but despite repeatedly looking I have never seen any nurseries that are propagating it, listing it or selling it.  Do you know of anybody that is?

Lara Farms has a tree and could graft one for you. I also have a tree that budwood could be obtained from. I don't believe any of the other nurseries propagate it.

Being apparently Asian, is TE a "Poly" that will reliably grow true from seed?

It is polyembryonic, but that doesn't guarantee it will reliably come true from seed.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
My choc anon is now holding fruits. It flowered last month it looks like they will ripen by January and February for the third year.

In00683

• Bo Rosario Bajo, San Germán, Puerto Rico, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 12:37:13 AM »
Has anyone reading this tried growing it in Puerto Rico?  I am awaiting two small trees.  Perhaps I jumped the gun before doing some more research like reading the comments on this forum.  Was just hoping and prayng for some off-season mangoes.  I'm in Zone 12b.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
I have one out of 25 varieties and would definitely keep it in the mix. It isn't a strong flavored mango but while eating many others I found the difference refreshing. The best stage I liked was fully tree ripe but picked a little early before softening. At that stage it is more pear like than peach like. Eating a Carrie, then eating a Choc Anon is such a difference the two flavors play a flavor game that was very pleasant to me. I never got out of season yet, that may take some floral manipulation maybe timed pruning smoke or KNO3.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »
To me, choc anon is just an average mango. Good but nothing special.  But  my wife really likes it. Reminds her of carabao. I like rosigold more. But choc anon is a reliable bearer and the fruit can be refrigerated for months and still be enjoyable. Still waiting for some off season fruit, has not happened in my yard 9b for about 7 years.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »

In 2017,  Cho-Anon  flowered in late August/September  for me and I got four mangoes in December, one on Christmas day.  It flowered during the normal mango season last year and did not give me any flowers or fruit in the off-season. The tree is yet to flower this year.

The flavor is good, but it tends to get overlooked because it ripens at the same time as some of the really good ones.  Not a must-have variety, in my opinion.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
Mine is just beginning to flower.  A few at this time but I expect more to follow.

... and yes, I love the taste and so do several people I share with. 
Taste is completely subjective though, there are those who don't like the Choc Anon.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:09:02 PM by Orkine »

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
I love the flavor of my Miracle Mango !!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
I tried Choc Anon for the first time this season and it was nothing special by any means.  It was however a fresh mango so I enjoyed it :)  There were no blooms/small fruit for a "winter crop" on the tree just gobs of mangoes.  A Prahm Kai Meu (spelling?) planted next to the Choc anon was light years better tasting and it actually had blooms all over it along with ripe fruit.

Did you eat the prahm kai meu when still green and hard? Is it really sweet and crunchy? I have this one too but it never blooms...can't wait to try it.