Author Topic: The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!  (Read 11905 times)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:05 PM »
Pickering with still some green on them. No they are not going back on the tree. Yes they will ripen just fine.

This is advice, not criticism...they will taste much better if you wait till golden yellow, with no green, before harvesting and then let them sit and ripen for a few days.

Thanks for the advice... I've had them picked even later with full color in previous years and still had the same great taste but understand that is subjective. I know you don't agree with everybody here on taste of fruits

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »
Its not as much as I dont agree that as you said, tastes are subjective.    For instance with Carrie, i may joke that Carrie is not a good mango and people who like it have no tatse (that is part of me joking and people who know me know what I am saying) when its me that personally do not like the taste.  I alsi know many do and there is nothing wrong with that.  Thats why there are so many varieties available to choose from.

I do question and try and advise some as some do not know what specific varieties taste like, when to harvest and when to eat them.  Itry and correct, inform and advise where necessary  (assuming people want to know when a variety is at its peak of perfection.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
The Pickering Mangos where Delicious!  I went back fir more,  I hope that the LZ will ripen properly for me waited 2 years too taste this dam Mango! , I better be good 😄.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 11:15:38 PM »
Rob they are small,  Steve planted 26 Maha he said they are 3 years Old.,  Today i picked up some LZ Mangos!!

Ed

Thise LZ need to be put back on the tree.  They werent ready to be picked.

Rob,

This is the first year I let our lemon zest set a corp. The tree is 12 foot and is holding about 21/2 dozen mango's. Do you have a picture of what they look like when ready to pick. They are just starting to get alittle yellow to them.

Thanks for the help. Joe.

The following is a picture of one of the LZs I picked today.  I will commonly wait for even more yellow to show but this was for someone.   The picture below is what it ripens into when ready to eat.

- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »
Pickering with still some green on them. No they are not going back on the tree. Yes they will ripen just fine.

Looks good!  You guys ever measure brix?  I'd love to know what a ripe LZ comes in at.

Here's some of my Pickering. Delish!

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
Rob they are small,  Steve planted 26 Maha he said they are 3 years Old.,  Today i picked up some LZ Mangos!!

Ed

Rob,

This is the first year I let our lemon zest set a corp. The tree is 12 foot and is holding about 21/2 dozen mango's. Do you have a picture of what they look like when ready to pick. They are just starting to get alittle yellow to them.

The following is a picture of one of the LZs I picked today.  I will commonly wait for even more yellow to show but this was for someone.   The picture below is what it ripens into when ready to eat.

Nice picture sequence and damn that looks yummy!
- Marley

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »

Ed

Rob,

Okay Rob, Thanks.  Ours are still a little more green yet just turning yellow on the top, but the same shape and size. Looking forward to trying one.

Joe.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »
Joe - just make sure it is the fruit coloring yelloe and not sunburn.   You will also be able to see a filling out of the shoulders.
- Rob

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »
Joe - just make sure it is the fruit coloring yelloe and not sunburn.   You will also be able to see a filling out of the shoulders.

So Rob. Would you say this is a mid season Mango?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
Yah, July / Aug typically for me.

Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »

Looks good!  You guys ever measure brix?  I'd love to know what a ripe LZ comes in at.

Mark, I've taken Brix readings from Lemon Zests and the normal, fully formed fruit can get to 26% Brix but it depends a lot on the size of the tree and wether it is early fruit or later season fruit. The early fruit tend to be a bit more bland and lower in Brix, I've seen as low as 17%.

A LZ nubbin I grew had a Brix above 32%. It was too sweet.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »

Yup, as Jeff said, mid July to early August is the main window (with of course outlier fluctuations on both sides of the window).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »

Mark, I've taken Brix readings from Lemon Zests and the normal, fully formed fruit can get to 26% Brix but it depends a lot on the size of the tree and wether it is early fruit or later season fruit. The early fruit tend to be a bit more bland and lower in Brix, I've seen as low as 17%.

Simon

Plant nutrition and supplements will also have an efdect on brix.  As will growing locations, medium and climate.

Its really very similar to Scoville units with hot peppers.  They test numerous pelpers from numerous plants till they come to the extreme level every year.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:47:49 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 03:53:37 PM »

Simon

Huh?  32 brix.  Yeah, that is ridiculous. Would think you lose all acid/sugar balance.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »

Plant nutrition and supplements will also have an efdect on brix.  As will growing locations, medium and climate.

Its really very similar to Scoville units with hot peppers.  They test numerous pelpers from numerous plants till they come to the extreme level every year.

Many pros including Jack Peters himself believe high K levels and lower N induce a bearing tree or plant to kick out of a vegetative state into flowering/fruiting. Any studies on this you guys know of?

I've sometimes supplemented my fruiting faves with potassium sulphate and cut out the other foods.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:10:38 AM by Mark in Texas »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 06:59:59 PM »
I haven't researched the use of K or withholding of N for inducing blooms but the K should help with stronger and perhaps more blooms and perhaps fruit. I have read that drought stress can be a stimulus for bloom and the mechanism of action appears to be the induced resting period and maturation of the previous growth flush along with the accompanying inhibition of a new vegetative growth flush from the lack of water.

In Mango, high Nitrogen levels swing the balance of Auxin, Cytokinins and downstream hormones to favor flowering. This has also been observed in Lychee. I'm pulling this from memory so please don't quote me on this, it's been a very long time wife botany class. It seems to reason that suppression of Nitrogen may favor bloom induction by inhibiting vegetative growth.

For Avocado, inverted root grafts or inverted bark grafts may increase precocity.

Simon

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 08:13:54 AM »
In Mango, high Nitrogen levels swing the balance of Auxin, Cytokinins and downstream hormones to favor flowering.

Simon

You meant low levels of N, right?  I have quite a few mangos with a yellow blossom end, like 1" long.  Some have dropped. I assume that off coloring is not a good thing?  What causes that, stress?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 10:22:08 PM »
Rob,  Your LZ Pics look Prime!  , My LZ where on the green side when we eat them, That explains the lack of Lemon taste,  They where good,  But we enjoyed the Pickering more.

Will go back tomorrow and pick up more LZ,  We will let them turn yellow before eating them.

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 11:48:05 PM »
Rob,  Your LZ Pics look Prime!  , My LZ where on the green side when we eat them, That explains the lack of Lemon taste,  They where good,  But we enjoyed the Pickering more.

Will go back tomorrow and pick up more LZ,  We will let them turn yellow before eating them.

Thanks Ed

If they are not colored with some yellow, I wouldnt waste your money as the chances are not good that they will ripen properly.
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »
Will be in Florida Sunday, the 24th.  Think there will be some good mangoes still around?  Haven't had a Florida mango this year and it's killing me.  All we have up here are the tasteless and/or fiber filled mangoes from Mexico...and that includes their Ataulfos.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:23 AM »
Should be plenty if Florida Mangos to choose from!
Enjoy!
Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
Will be in Florida Sunday, the 24th.  Think there will be some good mangoes still around?  Haven't had a Florida mango this year and it's killing me.  All we have up here are the tasteless and/or fiber filled mangoes from Mexico...and that includes their Ataulfos.

I am sure we can find you some beautiful Tommy Atkins  and maybe an East Indian or 2.  Will also try and put aside some of those classic Florida Turpentine for you...
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
Thanks Rob!  I heard those were the top of the top tier mangoes!  Nothing beats that turpentine flavor in my book.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks Rob!  I heard those were the top of the top tier mangoes!  Nothing beats that turpentine flavor in my book.

I don't know if you and Rob are joking with each other. But a lot of the bigger mango stands ship mango's out of state to friends. We do, and I know Zill's ships also.

Hope this helps,

Joe.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »
What a disappointment. I wasted my time reading through every one of these posts, but not a single one save for the OP was actually about Mahas. I wanted to hear about MAHAs, not everything BUT Mahas... it would be nice if people stayed on topic, but since this thread turned out to be something else, perhaps the title could be changed?

I would love to hear more about people's experience eating Maha Chanok, and also see more photos, etc., as I continue to wait what seems like forever for mine to actually fruit (at least it seems happy, and put out a big flush of new leaves this summer). Also, I would love if anyone had recommendations of any fruit stand that sells the fruit in Miami-Dade/Monroe/Broward FL, if there ever are any. I have been trying for several years but still never found an opportunity to taste them. Had high hopes for last year's Mangofest, but not there either. :(