Author Topic: The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!  (Read 12032 times)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »
What a disappointment. I wasted my time reading through every one of these posts, but not a single one save for the OP was actually about Mahas. I wanted to hear about MAHAs, not everything BUT Mahas... it would be nice if people stayed on topic, but since this thread turned out to be something else, perhaps the title could be changed?

I would love to hear more about people's experience eating Maha Chanok, and also see more photos, etc., as I continue to wait what seems like forever for mine to actually fruit (at least it seems happy, and put out a big flush of new leaves this summer). Also, I would love if anyone had recommendations of any fruit stand that sells the fruit in Miami-Dade/Monroe/Broward FL, if there ever are any. I have been trying for several years but still never found an opportunity to taste them. Had high hopes for last year's Mangofest, but not there either. :(

Squam shipped me some of his Maha Chanok a week or so back. He isn't too far from you... and he created a thread announcing it on the for sale forum.

Regarding the Maha Chanok from Fruitscapes, I got some from them too and they were on the small side but still delicious. Have you searched the forum? Lots of people have posted about Maha Chanok

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
What a disappointment. I wasted my time reading through every one of these posts, but not a single one save for the OP was actually about Mahas. I wanted to hear about MAHAs, not everything BUT Mahas... it would be nice if people stayed on topic, but since this thread turned out to be something else, perhaps the title could be changed?

I would love to hear more about people's experience eating Maha Chanok, and also see more photos, etc., as I continue to wait what seems like forever for mine to actually fruit (at least it seems happy, and put out a big flush of new leaves this summer). Also, I would love if anyone had recommendations of any fruit stand that sells the fruit in Miami-Dade/Monroe/Broward FL, if there ever are any. I have been trying for several years but still never found an opportunity to taste them. Had high hopes for last year's Mangofest, but not there either. :(

Squam shipped me some of his Maha Chanok a week or so back. He isn't too far from you... and he created a thread announcing it on the for sale forum.

Regarding the Maha Chanok from Fruitscapes, I got some from them too and they were on the small side but still delicious. Have you searched the forum? Lots of people have posted about Maha Chanok

Thanks. I'll take a look - I don't care about size, I just wanted a fair representation of taste so I know what's ahead of me.

I wasn't really looking around for info about Mahas, but when I saw this new thread, I clicked on it because I definitely wanted to read recent info on people's experiences if they're out there. I think it's fair to be disappointed that the thread turned out not to be about anything related to the title. I didn't see earlier threads from this year because I have been away from the site for a while. I think I've read most of the archived threads regarding Maha Chanok before, but I was interested to see a new one that relates to this season specifically. They've been around longer now, so now that they're not such a novelty, I'm interested to see if perspectives on owning one have changed as more and more people have experience both tasting and growing the fruit. I could have put a different variety in the same place as this one that would have produced fruit for me by now, so this had better be worth the long wait! :)

*To be clear though, I am looking for a market where I can buy one in person. I value my privacy, and don't want to give my name and address to a stranger on the internet to sample a fruit. I live in an area where mangoes grow readily, and I am looking for a place I can just show up anonymously and buy a fruit, which in my mind should be possible somewhere, even if it's at a nursery on a back road West of Krome Ave. in Homestead.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:26:14 AM by LivingParadise »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
Here is the thread Squam started in the for sale section:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20339.0

He has his address/phone/email posted for you. He may still have some Maha Chanok left...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »
There have been umteen threads/posts about the Mahachanok, from tree to fruit.  Use the search feature to find the info.

As far as tasting and/or buying, there are a limited number of places to purchase the fruit, none of which I can think of would be located in Miami-Dade County.  Besides Fruitscapes, the only other places I know who sell the fruit are in Palm Beach County.

You are "worried" about anonymity...many people on this forum are friends/acquaintances and openly show their trees and share their fruit.  Many of us even have local tastings and done on a regular basis.  Opening up and meeting people is not always a bad thing...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
Yes, MC is hard to find from the commercial fruit orchards, as it's relatively new to FL. And, even if you can get your hands on one, obtaining one that is at the right stage of ripeness may be a challenge. Even though I had access to the fruit (from Harry Monster's orchard), it wasn't until I grafted a tree for myself and harvested fruit from my own tree that I finally understood what all the excitement was about.

Unlike a carrie or any of the other mangoes that can have offensive characteristics to the a mainstream consumer (eg, soft flesh, strong resin flavor, etc), the MC is one that seems to have broad appeal -- to both the connoisseur and the novice.

You may want to attempt a visit to Harry's orchard in southern broward for a testing.
Jeff  :-)

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »

Thanks. I'll take a look - I don't care about size, I just wanted a fair representation of taste so I know what's ahead of me.

I wasn't really looking around for info about Mahas, but when I saw this new thread, I clicked on it because I definitely wanted to read recent info on people's experiences if they're out there. I think it's fair to be disappointed that the thread turned out not to be about anything related to the title. I didn't see earlier threads from this year because I have been away from the site for a while. I think I've read most of the archived threads regarding Maha Chanok before, but I was interested to see a new one that relates to this season specifically. They've been around longer now, so now that they're not such a novelty, I'm interested to see if perspectives on owning one have changed as more and more people have experience both tasting and growing the fruit. I could have put a different variety in the same place as this one that would have produced fruit for me by now, so this had better be worth the long wait! :)

*To be clear though, I am looking for a market where I can buy one in person. I value my privacy, and don't want to give my name and address to a stranger on the internet to sample a fruit. I live in an area where mangoes grow readily, and I am looking for a place I can just show up anonymously and buy a fruit, which in my mind should be possible somewhere, even if it's at a nursery on a back road West of Krome Ave. in Homestead.

If you would like to P.M. me with your mail address, I'd be glad to send you a couple. Joe
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:31:37 PM by MangoMan2 »

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
$4 per LBS I hope they taste ok.
Ed

Seriously? I got a couple of Maha's from Fruitscapes this weekend and they only charged $2/lb. I did have over 30 lbs all together, so maybe they cut me a break.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
$4 per LBS I hope they taste ok.
Ed

Seriously? I got a couple of Maha's from Fruitscapes this weekend and they only charged $2/lb. I did have over 30 lbs all together, so maybe they cut me a break.

I think that price applied to the Lemon Zest.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »
I ha e a decent amount of Mahas right now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk