Author Topic: Xie Shan Satsuma Trees  (Read 10643 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Xie Shan Satsuma Trees
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
It is very clear that puff disorder is a function of aging, changes in metabolism, and or hormones that are associated with the aging processes of fruit that are past maturity..  Although no plant growth regulator is used to control puff directly, since it is a disorder observed in fruit past maturity, GA3 treatments used commonly to delay peel senescence will reduce puff SIGNIFICANTLY..  Most satsumas are mature before the
peel has completely turned color.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:49:58 PM by Millet »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
I have 3 good sized Satsumas in the ground. I’ve lost track of the varieties and exact age. They are too big to be grafted on flying dragon but they are old enough that below their grafts are huge like an elephant foot. I have to trim them every year to keep them in the hoop house. This year I covered them with frost cloth for only two very cold periods. Once for 2 weeks of very cold weather and then about 3 days for cold weather. They have never had a really huge crop. I’m sure all the pruning hurts but it can’t be helped. My fruit it very puffy most of the time.

Some years are definitely better than others and they are about 10 years old , maybe more but not much more. I probably need to pick earlier in the fall too. I wish I’d put Satsumas in the ground that were grafted to flying dragon. Same with my nongrafted Meyer.

The Meyer is huge, often needs trimming but I’ve had over 300 lemons several times. Never had 300 Satsumas counting all three trees in one year. I’ve often trimmed to keep the citrus in the frame for winter but I’m not ever going to climb a citrus tree to pick fruit !

Bottom line, I think flying dragon rootstock would have been much better for me. Smaller trees, smaller fruit and better tasting fruit resulting from the flying dragon root stock !

All my Xie Shans are still in pots and I don’t know what their rootstock were when I bought them. Most of my Xie Shan plants came from Four Winds Nursery in California. At least 2 Xie Shans died on me in pots. Tough summers, not great potting soil, and  too much water sometimes probably killed them but they were both on flying dragon. Flying dragon might be harder to keep alive in pots. Especially if you are loving them too much, meaning I probably watered them too much and the potting soil didn’t drain fast enough.

I’ve been looking for where my Xie Shan trees came from. I don’t see any Xie Shan on the 4 Winds web site. I know I’ve bought Xie Shan whenever I could find them. Petals from the Past doesn’t list Xie Shan but they do have them sometimes in their store.

That’s my thinking right now . I hope that makes sense and helps somebody !

Tom
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:07:40 AM by Tom »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 11:01:55 PM »
What is the coldest temperature in Montgomery? Satsuma is pretty hardy to 18F.

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »
Wow! I'm glad I did bring this topic back to life. Tom, Millet, Mr. Texas and references to Monte Nesbitt. I'm glad all y'all are still posting. Millet I know Hershell gave you my number use it! LOL Tom glad you're still doing the hoop house. Last time we saw each other was in Clanton at the expo. Mr. Texas I sure was glad you chipped in with your experience. The piece from Monte was great. I think I'll follow his advice this year.

I sampled weekly last year but they never developed the acidity or sweetness. Might have something to do with the 91.3 inches of rain. I was sampling when they were still green. I might look into the GA3.

My trees have tight white buds right now and the tree is loaded with blooms. I realize I may still have some wait but y'all did give me some bope. Much appreciated!

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »
Hi Darkman ! Great to hear from you ! It’s been a while. I hope you are feeling better. Yes my hoop is hanging in there but you know I want something bigger and better !!

Mr. Texas I agree Satsumas do fine as low as 18* F. IF the sats are in a dormant state. Here and probably where you are it can be 80 degrees at Christmas and we can get hurt with a surge of cold air in less than 2 weeks. Also late freezes can be a real problem.

18 is about as cold as we get but I’ve had 14 degrees a few times and I can remember single digits twice in my life. I’m almost 66 years old and single digits are very rare here. 14 is not a common occurance every year at all but it happens way too much !

Darkman, Millet asked me for your number a while ago, maybe about  when you had a bad spell of health. I think maybe you had changed numbers or something. You might have felt so bad you didn’t want to be reached ! I remember Millet was trying to get in touch but I couldn’t help. I haven’t heard from you for a while !

On a little different note, I’m thrilled we are finally in March ! When we had cattle the old saying was February shakes em but March takes em. March can still have some brutal cold days !

Tom