Author Topic: Lemon Zest vs Orange Sherbet -- flavorwise  (Read 4979 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Lemon Zest vs Orange Sherbet -- flavorwise
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
For those who have had multiple opportunities to taste these, how would you compare/contrast the flavors?

This was my first year to taste OS, from two sources. To me it did not seem as richly flavored as the Lemon Zest mangos from my tree in the good old days, e.g. last year.  Seemed to lack sparkle.

Could be sampling error, or an off season I guess.  My LZ has leprosy, and I'm wondering whether to replace it with OS.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Lemon Zest vs Orange Sherbet -- flavorwise
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:06 AM »
OS is good but Lemon Zest is definitely a little better imo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:54:20 AM by Squam256 »

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
Although they are both excellent I prefer Lemon Zest flavorwise. If your tree is having trouble beyond repair Id replace it now during the growing season. Id opt for slightly inferior fruit to no fruit at all.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
I do believe LZ is better.  I also think for some reason all OS I have had this have not been up to its potential and usual quality.  One issue I would attribute is that I have seen a lot, too much really, fruit being picked green and at a point where it was not truly ready to be picked.
- Rob

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
Had fruit for first time on my lemon zest this season as well as my O-2

Also have tried several Orange Sherbet this year from Zills and mango men.   Only a couple OS came anywhere near the other two.

A perfect lemon zest is amazing

I bought an Os tree just the same

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
I completely agree on LZ being superior.  I cant speak for production on OS but taste, color, and flavor of orange is more pronounced in LZ compared to OS. On another note, put a peach cobbler (perfect ripe) on the table and that would blow all if you are after orange flavored mango.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
LZ is better tasting if it gets enough calcium.
Jeff  :-)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »
2018 OS’s potential only seen in Cookie Monster’s crop. I haven’t seen any mango, ever, consistently superior to LZ.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
I enjoyed eating LZ over OS.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »
I took your advice and been using gypsum

Despite the rain the fruit taste great

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »

Have you found this the caae with OS?  Wont calcium (in the right amounts) improve all mangoes?
- Rob

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
I think the OS is very similar to PPK, the only difference being the orange flavor vs the lemon flavor, and that the lemon flavor is more pronounced in the PPK than the orange is in the OS.  I'm using PPK as a reference rather than LZ because I've had poor experiences with LZ and feel its not fair for me to compare it, but I've heard that the flavor profiles between PPK and LZ are similar.  I had two OS today in different stages of ripeness and while they are sweet and there is a definite orange taste especially near the skin, I feel there are better mangos to plant out.  I actually picked up a few more cotton candy trees today, as they have a unique, sweet flavor and have the late season thing going for them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
I only have OS in one spot -- in mostly calcareous soil. Haven't tried it on the non-mulched lot yet. OS on my calcareous, mostly unmulched soil presumably gets plenty of calcium, but it still lacks the orangey punch of the LZ.

I'm still learning the effects of Ca, but LZ is one of the few that I have in both lots (mulched with low ca and unmulched with higher ca). The LZ in the mulched / low ca lot is mild in flavor, like the OS, unless I load it up with gypsum.

I think a lot of the FL mangoes require lots of Ca to get the flavor profile that we appreciate here. So, shipping LZ budwood to a region with acid soil and low Ca would probably result in bland fruits. My family has an LZ tree in El Salvador that I haven't tried fruits from yet, but the tree's owner didn't seem all that impressed with the flavor, same with Carrie, which I believe needs a lot of Ca to get its characteristically delicious flavor.

Have you found this the caae with OS?  Wont calcium (in the right amounts) improve all mangoes?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:29:52 PM by Cookie Monster »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 03:32:35 PM »
Thanks, gentle folks.

I'll probably go ahead and replace the LZ (unless a miracle cure comes along).

Meanwhile this will be the first year I have more than a fruit or two on Peach Cobbler. They are seemingly stuck at half-size, but I'm looking forward to tasting them and freezing for the long cool winter.

Dan

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 05:04:41 PM »
as unproductive as LZ may be, it is holding two big mangoes on a stick for me! LOL  Last year I got two mangoes on another graft. for a small branch with 2 mangoes, I believe once I get bigger tree, more branches will mean more mangoes. I have not seen problem of drops as of yet on LZ if fruit set happened earlier. last fruit sets got fried and dropped in the brutal heat wave.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
I don't know if I would agree that LZ is a poor producer.  I am located in Brevard County and have 2 LZ trees about 15' tall that are producing very nice and had good production last year.  I have 3 other LZ trees that are in 7-8' range and did not produce this year but in prior years gave me about half a dozen mangoes.  The flavor this year and last is superior!  So far I am experiencing that the larger and older the tree, the more dependable and precocious the tree become.  Remove a healthy, growing one at your own detriment,  I say. :P

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »
Doc Campbell said similar things. It took about 12 years for the tree really came into its own.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »
if LZ doesnt drop, flavor profile in CA grown LZ is very strong orange flavor with high brix, we hit 32 twice in two years now. I agree, we need to give our trees 5-7 years for better production, that is the reason instead of giving up on LZ like some, I am actually planting more.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 06:23:09 PM »
I don't know if I would agree that LZ is a poor producer.  I am located in Brevard County and have 2 LZ trees about 15' tall that are producing very nice and had good production last year.  I have 3 other LZ trees that are in 7-8' range and did not produce this year but in prior years gave me about half a dozen mangoes.  The flavor this year and last is superior!  So far I am experiencing that the larger and older the tree, the more dependable and precocious the tree become.  Remove a healthy, growing one at your own detriment,  I say. :P

That sratemenr does not make sense...it is the opposite of what precocious is...
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 06:32:44 PM »
LZ takes a while to establish in SoCal. The first several years, it makes lots of nubbins with no pollinated embryo. Once it gets established, it slowly produces more and better quality fruit. We do have issues with Powdery Mildew but that also has a lot to do with temp/humidity. My LZ flowered twice this year and unfortunately droppped most it’s Fruit but I’m predicting it will become more fruitful in the coming years.

Gary in Palm Springs has a very productive LZ. It took a few years to get established but he’s getting some of the sweetest full flavored fruit I’ve tasted. Because of our drier weather the Mangos will not be washed out in flavor unless you overwater which is a big mistake I see from growers here in SoCal.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
They both taste like orange sherbet LZ is sweeter and more intense. You can't go wrong w neither one of them but flavorwise LZ wins. 

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 09:42:18 PM »
How do you tell when a LZ is ready/ripe?

I stopped by Zill's on Friday and bought a bunch of OS. They were down to about 5 LZ and 5 PPK in the bins. The fruit did not look all that great but I had not tasted these 2 varieties before and I have read so much about them here that I bought a couple each of both varieties.
I have eaten a few of the OS so far and I really like them. The PPK were okay, nothing to write home about. My husband was not a big fan. Then I snagged a PPK at Truly Tropical on Saturday and it was fantastic. Husband said he loved it and was very surprised when I told him that it was the same variety he had turned his nose up at the previous day.

As for the LZ, I don't know what was going on with the fruit I bought but they were pretty disgusting. The only way to describe it was puke flavored. I have had some not so great mangoes before but have never felt like throwing up after the first bite! The fruit looked perfectly fine on the inside. They did not look overripe or like they were damaged in any way. I was so disappointed because I was really looking forward to tasting something special.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »

I stopped by Zill's on Friday and bought a bunch of OS. They were down to about 5 LZ and 5 PPK in the bins. The fruit did not look all that great but I had not tasted these 2 varieties before and I have read so much about them here that I bought a couple each of both varieties.
I have eaten a few of the OS so far and I really like them. The PPK were okay, nothing to write home about. My husband was not a big fan. Then I snagged a PPK at Truly Tropical on Saturday and it was fantastic. Husband said he loved it and was very surprised when I told him that it was the same variety he had turned his nose up at the previous day.

As for the LZ, I don't know what was going on with the fruit I bought but they were pretty disgusting. The only way to describe it was puke flavored. I have had some not so great mangoes before but have never felt like throwing up after the first bite! The fruit looked perfectly fine on the inside. They did not look overripe or like they were damaged in any way. I was so disappointed because I was really looking forward to tasting something special.

Three words...picked too early/green (ok, thats four).
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:35 AM »
That funky / musky flavor is generally an indication that it's overripe. The fruit will still look fine on the outside, but it's overripe.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
That funky / musky flavor is generally an indication that it's overripe. The fruit will still look fine on the outside, but it's overripe.

Again, most likely from being picked too soon in the fruit's development (which caused improper ripening).
- Rob