Author Topic: what variety is this dragonfruit?  (Read 5117 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
what variety is this dragonfruit?
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:35:47 AM »

I can't remember where I got one of my dragonfruit from.It is small and sweet tasting and I presume a yellow x red.It is fairly distinctive and does the variety or look ring any bells with anyone?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: what variety is this dragonfruit?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:51:18 AM »

I can't remember where I got one of my dragonfruit from.It is small and sweet tasting and I presume a yellow x red.It is fairly distinctive and does the variety or look ring any bells with anyone?

If it had  thinner tendrils and was less vibrant I'd say it was Frankie's red. In fact it might even be Frankie's red--certainly the thorns are the same. Definitely a mega hybrid of some description.

Hard to say without seeing the skin.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:54:01 AM by starling1 »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:20:21 AM »

Hi Mike, looks exactly like my Aztec Gem that I picked up from Red fox at Nanango. I have my first 4 fruit on now. Does it have spines on the base of the fruit?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:38:28 AM »
Is this it??

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:10:22 AM »

Thanks guys the skin is dull orange when ripe.Rannman that one does look similar and mine has no spines.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:25:47 AM »

Thanks guys the skin is dull orange when ripe.Rannman that one does look similar and mine has no spines.
I didn't realise it had spines but they were there towards the base of the fruit. About 1cm long, very fine and hard to see unless you are looking for them(on young fruit). Pretty fragile and easy to accidentally knock off. Plant growth looks almost identical. Haven't seen a ripe fruit yet but will soon so will post a pic when it happens. Supposed to be a small but tasty fruit.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 04:38:14 AM »

I didn't realise it had spines but they were there towards the base of the fruit. About 1cm long, very fine and hard to see unless you are looking for them(on young fruit). Pretty fragile and easy to accidentally knock off. Plant growth looks almost identical. Haven't seen a ripe fruit yet but will soon so will post a pic when it happens. Supposed to be a small but tasty fruit.

you might be right Anthony. Here's a pic of Aztec Gem fruit--does look similar.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:07:45 AM »
Did I ever send any up? Looks just like the one I have from red fox. They didn't label it Aztec gem back when I got it, but it looks the same. Rixford has just had its first flowering. Hope it sets.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:26:29 AM »
Did I ever send any up? Looks just like the one I have from red fox. They didn't label it Aztec gem back when I got it, but it looks the same. Rixford has just had its first flowering. Hope it sets.

well done getting it that far. Mine keeps rotting at the base. The only one I've ever had any drama with.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
Mystery solved.A South Australian benefactor sent it to me as Red Fox Pink which I am told is Pink Panther.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
The only picture I could find of Pink Panther was on Leo Manuel' s yard tour 10/26/12, on this forum. Only shows the outside of the fruit and a little bit of plant growth attached to the fruit. The fruit is covered by numerous thorns. Very hard to find pictures of this particular variety. Maybe the Aztec Gem and the Red Fox Pink are the seedlings of Pink Panther rather than cutting grown plants from the original Pink Panther, since I assume they are both from Red Fox in Nanango and have similar but not identical features. As far as I am aware the Pink Diamond variety grown by Tamborine dragonfruit farm is a seedling from an original Pink Panther fruit. I haven't seen any spines on it but the fruits are pretty impressive in size and colour.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
The only picture I could find of Pink Panther was on Leo Manuel' s yard tour 10/26/12, on this forum. Only shows the outside of the fruit and a little bit of plant growth attached to the fruit. The fruit is covered by numerous thorns. Very hard to find pictures of this particular variety. Maybe the Aztec Gem and the Red Fox Pink are the seedlings of Pink Panther rather than cutting grown plants from the original Pink Panther, since I assume they are both from Red Fox in Nanango and have similar but not identical features. As far as I am aware the Pink Diamond variety grown by Tamborine dragonfruit farm is a seedling from an original Pink Panther fruit. I haven't seen any spines on it but the fruits are pretty impressive in size and colour.

I doubt it is pink panther. I am currently growing pink panther and it's pretty easy to ID from the new growth. New growth is one dimensional--single sided, like an epiphyllum. If it doesn't do that, it isn't pink panther.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:18:05 PM by starling1 »

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »

I doubt it is pink panther. I am currently growing pink panther and it's pretty easy to ID from the new growth. New growth is one dimensional--single sided, like an epiphyllum. If it doesn't do that, it isn't pink panther.
[/quote]

Starling,
My Pink Panther has three-sided stems as other dragon fruit varieties. Sometimes it has single-sided stems.  I cut all the single-sided stems off. My plant haven't produced fruit yet but the stem from Mike's photo looks like that of my Pink Panther.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
This is where stuff gets confusing. I have 4 different varieties that exhibit flat, Epi style growth but my Pink Panther is all thick, three sided growth. Flat growth on Sugardragon, Purple Haze, Cosmic Charlie and Halleys Comet. All visibly different plants and all purchased from a very reliable grower . 

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 08:51:55 PM »
This is where stuff gets confusing. I have 4 different varieties that exhibit flat, Epi style growth but my Pink Panther is all thick, three sided growth. Flat growth on Sugardragon, Purple Haze, Cosmic Charlie and Halleys Comet. All visibly different plants and all purchased from a very reliable grower .

Rann those things are posted btw.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »

Rann those things are posted btw.
Thanks for that. Hope you have a great Xmas.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
I shared some cuttings with a friend who has all of Matt Landscapes originals from cuttings and he matched it to pink panther and apparently the red fox original came in as a cutting from California.I am not sold on any identity yet but Aztec gem sure looks close and I found the spines at the base.
I got some orange megalanthus seeds from Oscar just over a year and passed them on to my DF chum.They already have flowers in record time for seedlings.Condor remains my favourite for taste but the humble colombian red is on par and I have tried plenty of varieties by now.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 04:29:56 AM »

Just thought I'd put up a pic of the self sterile white variety that grows along the rocks at our local beach. 28 days from pollination, 660gm and brix of 13. Not super sweet but very refreshing. Strong lemon flavour. The white was pollinated at the same time as the Pink Diamond beside it, with each other's pollen.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 04:42:32 AM »
Looking good with perfect skin like a girl I used to know but that is another story.I picked a whopping Colombian red today that was sweet but the featherless vultures consumed it before it was pictured.
Anthony are you hand pollinating all of yours? I just leave mine to the forces of nature.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
Hand pollinating all flowers at the moment and crossing if there is available pollen. This is more to ensure that I get fruit set than anything else as they were all cuttings last year and I want to make sure that they are what they say they are. The big columbian is one of my favourites and mine has just started to flower. Good things to come. Merry Christmas.