Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Anyone grow Dioscorea alata (purple yam/ube)?

(1/8) > >>

chirpis:
I grew it last year in a large container here in Atlanta. It seemed to be doing great on top, but at the end of the season I dug it out, and there were no new tubers, and all the original tubers had rotted.

I have some tubers coming in the mail now, and I hope to do better this year. Do you think it did poorly because it was in a container? Since the tubers rotted, I also wonder if maybe it was watered too much. I mostly grow succulents, so I'm not used to watering plants with "normal" water needs. Maybe I overdid it.

If anyone else has tried growing these and has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

BajaJohn:
I've been trying to grow them in fairly sandy ground with plenty of compost. I had the same problem with few and small tubers. Someone who has farmed them in the past told me that the runners shouldn't be allowed to form new roots, so move them around. An alternative is to provide support for the runners to grow up so they stay away from the ground. I tried that this year and have had a much better yield.
You can also propagate them by simply cutting off and planting new shoots. No need for the tubers.

pineislander:
The dioscorea is adapted to growing up. It is tropical so northern growers can't expect as much. If well grown in tropical conditions they can make some aerial bulbils which greatly enhances the rate of multiplication. To get bulbils you might try leaving some tubers in-ground for the best earliest start. I was able to buy tubers to start at the larger Asian/Caribbean food markets for very reasnable prices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIByH-lpzU

Caesar:
I couldn't resist and ended up buying a bulbil from eBay. A variety sold as Dark Night St. Vincent. The seller has good reviews and the photos seem legit, so I doubt it's a scam (and we all know seed scams abound on eBay). It looked insanely purple on the inside, and even the stem looked thoroughly purple in the pics. It was overpriced, but I couldn't resist. I think it's supposed to arrive next week.

Luisport:

--- Quote from: Caesar on June 27, 2018, 08:02:02 PM ---I couldn't resist and ended up buying a bulbil from eBay. A variety sold as Dark Night St. Vincent. The seller has good reviews and the photos seem legit, so I doubt it's a scam (and we all know seed scams abound on eBay). It looked insanely purple on the inside, and even the stem looker thorough purple in the pics. It was overpriced, but I couldn't resist. I think it's supposed to arrive next week.

--- End quote ---
Hi! Please can you post the link of this seller please? Thank's!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version