Poll

What name of the Luc's Garcinia sp. find do you like the most?

Mexican Garcinia
11 (22.4%)
Lucangosteen
3 (6.1%)
Lucosteen
10 (20.4%)
Limoncillo
15 (30.6%)
Other?
7 (14.3%)
Langosteen
3 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: May 05, 2015, 06:45:04 PM

Author Topic: Poll for the name of Luc's Garcinia sp.  (Read 18391 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Poll for the name of Luc's Garcinia sp.
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
Lucocillo.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 12:18:08 AM »
Luc's Garcinia, or Lucsia for short.
Shane

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »
As others have said, the problem with Limoncillo is that the term is more in use for guinep/Spanish Lime and also has no semantic association with garcinia/mangosteen but rather with lemon and lime. Too many unique fruit names for consumers to keep track of, it is not in its own genus!  As for 'Lucosteen' that sounds like medication or a sports drink.

Anything with 'mangosteen' in it will probably end up with too many syllables, and from a taxonomy point of view, really only the purple mangosteen should be associated with that name (garcinia mangostana).

I'm all for Luc getting credit in the scientific sense (G. vleerackeii) but extending that to the common name is a bit unrealistic from the perspective of marketing and relate-ability to an international market. Had he bred it as a cultivar then it is a different story.

Luc, have you asked any indigenous people what they call it? Limoncillo sounds 100% Spanish in etymology. I believe they speak Nahuatl in Puerto Vallarta? I thought to propose the neologism 'cozticotl' = yellow fruit, but it is a bit of a mouthful.

My suggestions would be to adapt the name 'garcinia' with a Mexican(Spanish) or Nahuatl suffix:
Garcinillo
Garcinilla
Garcinoro
(the 'oro' here means gold)
Garcinotl

Yes, I know letter 'L' is silent in Spanish, but in English it is pronounced, right? Maybe Garcinillo is the best of these options.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:15:11 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
As others have said, the problem with Limoncillo is that the term is more in use for guinep/Spanish Lime and also has no semantic association with garcinia/mangosteen but rather with lemon and lime. Too many unique fruit names for consumers to keep track of, it is not in its own genus!  As for 'Lucosteen' that sounds like medication or a sports drink.

Anything with 'mangosteen' in it will probably end up with too many syllables, and from a taxonomy point of view, really only the purple mangosteen should be associated with that name (garcinia mangostana).

I'm all for Luc getting credit in the scientific sense (G. vleerackeii) but extending that to the common name is a bit unrealistic from the perspective of marketing and relate-ability to an international market. Had he bred it as a cultivar then it is a different story.

Luc, have you asked any indigenous people what they call it? Limoncillo sounds 100% Spanish in etymology. I believe they speak Nahuatl in Puerto Vallarta? I thought to propose the neologism 'cozticotl' = yellow fruit, but it is a bit of a mouthful.

My suggestions would be to adapt the name 'garcinia' with a Mexican(Spanish) or Nahuatl suffix:
Garcinillo
Garcinilla
Garcinoro
(the 'oro' here means gold)
Garcinotl

Yes, I know letter 'L' is silent in Spanish, but in English it is pronounced, right? Maybe Garcinillo is the best of these options.
Hi mango Stein,  I'm not Luc, but live on the area, the fruits are call by few people that tactually knows them, the ones that live in the town close to the wild trees,. "Limoncillo" maybe in resemblance to the size, form and color of a lime of course, the nahuatl l name doesn't exist cause in this area there's no nahuatl speaking people and probably never has been around this area, they were more about the center of Mexico in the Aztec territories, here in Mexico the guinep(Meliccocus  B) is known as Guayas, by the way yes here we pronounce the L the one at the end like in"quetzalcoatl", in my case I like to goby the original name or popular name, but I do agree for scientific name would be great G. Vleerackeii, that reminds me season is about to start I'm determinated to look for the rare tree of Bronze color limoncillo I saw 2 years ago while riding on a Burra !!!
El verde es vida!

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »
Thank you for your input Raul. I still don't favor this name "limoncillo" - perhaps some locals adopted it but it remains a Spanish pidgin term.

Just recently, I discovered a Mexican online encyclopedia which helps with indigenous names. http://enciclovida.mx/especies/192604-garcinia-intermedia. The thing is, this resource considers Garcinia intermedia lumped together with Luc's, but anyway the epithets are clearly shared. There exists both Nahuatl and Mayan names for this, although they are quite strange.

Funnily, one prominent name is "Chichi de mono." Well, this is listed under Spanish, but it is actually a hybrid term. The word "chichi" is adopted from the indigenous, and means "to suckle" so that this name translates to "monkey suckle". Yes, I am aware that this word "chichi" was adapted to have multiple meanings, including referring to babies, breasts and even more vulgar terms. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chichi#Spanish

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:10:09 AM by Mango Stein »
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »
Limoncillo is the name in which this tree is found and this is what it should be called.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »
Limoncillo is the name in which this tree is found and this is what it should be called.

Cop, that was a rather laconic assertion. You do not live in an English-speaking country, and this is an English speaking forum discussing name possibilities. If this is a forum that wants to promote globalism, fair enough, but actually names like "lemon drop mangosteen" for Garcinia intermedia are already firmly established in the English-speaking world and that was not my decision.

I doubt you know every single epithet in every single locality of Mexico. Maybe it is also found in Guatemala? You haven't provided any academic resource, while I provided one showing 14 different names, of which Limoncillo was listed 4th.

By the way, here is another academic resource: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=XALRl1qzcLMC&pg=PA261&dq=pungara&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiriM6w-p7pAhVaU30KHb70B7gQ6AEINjAC#v=snippet&q=Limoncillo&f=false
The epithet "limoncillo" is also used for the following species: Agonandra excelsa, Agonandra peruviana, Swartzia simplex var. continentalis, Ximenia americana and others. Why should English-speaking countries honor the Spanish name, when the modern Mexican population does not honor the indigenous? I think it should take more than yellow rind and some acidity to start comparing to a lemon...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:57:20 PM by Mango Stein »