Author Topic: seedling 7months old durian  (Read 1728 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
seedling 7months old durian
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »
so far so good. planted the seed in late Nov. 2015. Got seed from sister who was in kaui.  Don't know the variety. Since I've never seen what durian tree looks like, this is as close as I can get to seeing one. At least , I know what a durian tree looks like.  heeheee

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Re: seedling 7months old durian
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
I'm jealous I want a greenhouse too. :)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »
I haven't even been successful in sprouting durian seeds. 12 attempts and all failures.

Someone gave me a 4 foot tall tree 4 years ago, and I hesitated to plant it in the ground and it died. It wasn't until a couple years after that I fell in love with durians. I wish I had planted it because I would have been that much closer to getting one to fruit.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:23:44 PM »
the farmer market lady in hawaii told my sis that it's so easy to sprout. You just plant it into the ground and it will grow.  One thing you need to do is protect it from the chickens as hawaii has lots of free roaming chickens that will dig and destroy your planting.  I have 3 chickens and they destroy everything unless you protect the plants.  I started the seed in my bedroom windown in the winter. day temp was 65F in the house. Night time, I turn on heater in my bedroom as it can get then to 40F.   It's till not too late to start one as I think it's rewarding to just have a durian tree on your property.     My sister did throw the seeds into her yard the same time she gave me hers, all from the same durian she bought.  Nothing grew since she was not there to take care of it.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:31:49 PM »
Durian seeds will sprout easily but you should plant them directly, not too deep,  and never let them dry out, even a little.
Peter

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
come to think about it, I did water it everyday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk