Author Topic: Visiting Orlando FL  (Read 7922 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Visiting Orlando FL
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
I will be in Orlando the week of June 6 for a convention. What are some neat places to visit? I'm interested in nurseries and top notch restaurants.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Orlando FL
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »
I'll be there the following week speaking at a convention. Last year around the same time there was a LOT of local lychees and longan at an Asian market in Orlando. We gorged ourselves on that and Dragon fruit - plan to do the same this year. Need to look up the name of the market again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2014.0

Our Kids Tropicals Nursery, owned by Larry Shatzer in Winter Garden, FL...is well worth a visit!!

Larry is a great friend, who has one of the most impressive collections of Jaboticabas in the state.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Our-Kids-Tropicals-Nursery/154713141231076

also if you can make it...check out Green's nursery in Zellwood/Apopka area...he's a little bit out of the way, but I can assure you his selection, and prices will be worth the drive...this guy is probably the biggest, best nursery in Orlando area....The owner, Ray Green, is a good friend of mine.  We are fortunate to have him in our area...he brings back truckloads of beautiful plants from the best nurseries in South FL, almost on a weekly basis. (has all the Zill mangoes, and stuff from hopkins and PIN...just ask for it, and he can get it...no he will not ship to CA)

http://www.greensnursery.com/

and then of course, there is my nursery! but only the most afflicted souls end up here...in search of a rare fruit fix, that can't be found anywhere else!  Not a place for the average fruit grower to shop!  ;D

we are open by appointment only....(I say "we", like I've got a crew here, but it's just me and my multiple personalities that run the show)  :P

www.flyingfoxfruits.com
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »
Lukas nursery is a pretty big place and interesting to walk through. Leu Gardens is pretty cool as well for a walk through. Should be pretty this season. If you make it to Disney, Epcot is having its Flower and Garden festival. While there go to the Land and take the "Meet the Seeds" tour. Its pretty cool.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »
thanks guys! I'm focus on nurseries and restaurants we have more than our share of those annoying theme parks in Southern California. So I'll go visit Adam and the Greens.....maybe Leu Garden? 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
thanks guys! I'm focus on nurseries and restaurants we have more than our share of those annoying theme parks in Southern California. So I'll go visit Adam and the Greens.....maybe Leu Garden?

Would love to have you visit.

Just email to set it up.

There is also a private collection that is amazing...near Orlando....not sure if I can take you there it depends on my schedule...but maybe I can help get you in... ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »

Would love to have you visit.

Just email to set it up.

There is also a private collection that is amazing...near Orlando....not sure if I can take you there it depends on my schedule...but maybe I can help get you in... ;)

Thanks Adam. I'll contact you a week before I'm coming from Miami.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
i had actually planned on going to the fruit and spice park for June 20th
(also my birthday)
someone had mentioend to try and make this

(Gunnar maybe ?)

REDLAND SUMMER FRUIT FESTIVAL
http://www.fruitandspicepark.org/index.php?option=com_rsevents&view=events&layout=show&cid=350:redland-summer-fruit-festival&Itemid=65

is this the right fest  for this time of year ?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
adam, looking like I'm being dragged on a Disney cruise in October. 
May arrive 6am in the morning in Orlando from Honolulu.  Boat leaves 5pm. 

Is that enough time to grab a rental car, drive to your place and check out your farm? 

Lance

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »

Is that enough time to grab a rental car, drive to your place and check out your farm? 

Lance

What port does your ship sail from?
- Rob

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 04:49:46 AM »
If its leaving from Canaveral then yes. About an hour drive one way from there maybe slightly more and he isnt far off the 417 making it easy to find. Lucas which is also a neat big nursery is also up there and right off the 417 a couple exits away.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »

Lance

That was the highlight of my trip to Orlando last year going to Adam's nursery.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 12:25:55 PM »

Lance

Lance,
if your boat is at Port Canaveral, it should be real easy, I'm close to the 417 and I4

(thanks for the kind words JF, it was great to have you over...glad we could visit my friend's house...he always breaks out the wine/beer...and has one of the most amazing fruit collections in town!)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
Yup, it's Canaveral.  Not sure about pulling it off, but have to check out the logistics.  So maybe 4 hrs total including travel time is more than enough? 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
Yup, it's Canaveral.  Not sure about pulling it off, but have to check out the logistics.  So maybe 4 hrs total including travel time is more than enough?

should be just enough..you'd have about 30-45min at least to spend here...but if you have a flat tire or something, you'd be in trouble!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
well, we'll have to see what happens! i'll have to check out the logistics and see what happens.  it's a pretty quick in and out deal.  arrive Friday morning, board in the afternoon, return in morning, head out that night kind of deal.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »
If you can't make Adam's place, then you can visit Merritt Island, which is just across the Banana River (5 minutes from CC).  There are collections in both North and South M.I.........

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
If you can't make Adam's place, then you can visit Merritt Island, which is just across the Banana River (5 minutes from CC).  There are collections in both North and South M.I.........

anything closer to Orland Int'l Airport?

Just wondering.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
Everything east and south of the airport used to be cow pasture.  Now you got neighborhoods everywhere, but most are under ten years old.  You would probably have to get west or north of the airport, and Adam would probably know if any exists, but they would be personal collections.  The only public gardens are just north of downtown Orlando, which is only 30 minutes or so in traffic from Orlando International.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
okay.  sounds like as far as without the personal introductions, adam's place and the other one are the viable places to visit.  when things get firmed up, i'll have to see if I can set something up!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
Lance

Florida people "might" take a vacation to Hawaii if all that Florida sub-tropicalness bores them or makes them stupid. But it's never the the other way around, where Hawaiians come to Florida for a vacation cruise. You have been Shanghaied. Not to worry we have many tiki-hut establishments to make you feel right at home and some right in Orlando

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 04:47:16 AM »
 Do floridians take coconuts as forms of payment?  Hahaha.  Jk.   Unfortunately one thing Hawaii doesn't have is Disney cruises。。。。。

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
If you are going to Adam's from the Orlando Airport then that trip would only be 45 minutes or less, all highway until the last 5 minutes or so. I thought you were going from the Cape to Adam's. That will give you plenty of time.

As to Floridians on vaca, never been to Hawaii but was deployed to Puerto Rico and it was like a vaca for me with all the tropical fruit trees and jungles. I was sad to return to drab Central Florida and am trying to figure out ways to bring some of the bright jungle to my yard.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
I would go straight from the airport to Adam's he's a great host and will have everything waiting when you arrive.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
Do floridians take coconuts as forms of payment?  Hahaha.  Jk.   Unfortunately one thing Hawaii doesn't have is Disney cruises。。。。。

I'd love to visit Hawaii some day. In the movies it looks so much more "lush" than Florida.
Maybe it's all those gorgeous mountain waterfalls.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
I would go straight from the airport to Adam's he's a great host and will have everything waiting when you arrive.

^This. So much this.
Dom

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »

I'd love to visit Hawaii some day. In the movies it looks so much more "lush" than Florida.
Maybe it's all those gorgeous mountain waterfalls.

if you do come to Hawaii, aside from maybe visiting frankies, spend as little time as you can on Oahu. go big island or as a matter of fact any of the other islands.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
Larry is located in my hometown of Winter Garden.   We are ten miles north of Disney and not far from most of the convention centers. 

Our historic downtown has some great places to dine.   The Chef's Table has been rated tops in the area.  It has a Prix Fixe menu that is hard to beat.  Its separate bar is set up like it was in the speakeasy days with gins and whiskeys as their ambiance. 

Crooked Can Brewery is our craft beer location and next to it may be the best burger in the area with a coal fired pizza place next to that.    You can grab a beer and sit at the pizza place if you want.  Open to get a beer and wonder around the other craft locations.   

Our farmers market is open on Saturday mornings.   Great time to people watch, there will be live music.  Our downtown has speakers in the shrubs so sometimes I have to hang out until a song is over, before I continue my walk.  The market is well attended and we are having to build a parking garage to park everyone.

We were once the citrus capital of the world.  The late citrus hall of famer Bert Roper built a place with aquaculture on the roof.  You can eat the veggies and tilapia downstairs at the cafe there. So we have a lot of history including a just enlarged museum of local history.  You can find old citrus labels and citrus history of the area if you wish.   

If you like kicking around a small downtown, you will love us.

To the west of us just north of Clermont is Lakeridge winery.  It has a nice looking vineyard for Florida standards.   Muscadine grapes of course. 

Toppys on Merritt Island would be a great place to visit as he has Lychee and Longan there and if something is ripe will have some for sale.

If you go up to Adam's, save some time to do the Air Boat ride at Black Hammock on the other side of the lake.  More Gators per acre than any lake in Florida.  Better than any theme park.   

enjoy and if you need directions, I am a native of the area. 

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 08:20:15 PM »
Okay.  Unless I get delayed, I arrive in Orlando Airport on a Friday October 7 @922am.  Hoping to not have checkin luggage.  Then, I have to be back at Orland Airport by 2pm. 

Is it doable Adam to check out your spread?

Or should I go with WGPhil's suggestions and pig out until wife and son arrive at the airport @2?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 11:54:58 PM »
Okay.  Unless I get delayed, I arrive in Orlando Airport on a Friday October 7 @922am.  Hoping to not have checkin luggage.  Then, I have to be back at Orland Airport by 2pm. 

Is it doable Adam to check out your spread?

Or should I go with WGPhil's suggestions and pig out until wife and son arrive at the airport @2?

traffic could be heinous, you would be cutting it close...but you'd probably have about 30-45 min to spend here.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 02:43:11 AM »
Lance

Florida people "might" take a vacation to Hawaii if all that Florida sub-tropicalness bores them or makes them stupid. But it's never the the other way around, where Hawaiians come to Florida for a vacation cruise. You have been Shanghaied. Not to worry we have many tiki-hut establishments to make you feel right at home and some right in Orlando

Going to florida for a vacation in October (not a cruise). The .... evil ... mouse.... is calllllling me.....

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 03:31:19 AM »
@flyingfoxfruits.

still heading to florida on Thursday. If i miss the boat cruise/or is cancelled, can i visit?   ;D

if not, may end up just getting stuck in ATL.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
@flyingfoxfruits.

still heading to florida on Thursday. If i miss the boat cruise/or is cancelled, can i visit?   ;D

if not, may end up just getting stuck in ATL.

Your cruise hasn't been canceled yet? There is zero chance it's happening this weekend. I'm surprised the cruise line hasn't already tried to reschedule with you.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
Brevard is in evacuation mode.. The bridges will be  shut down and the ship has no place to go but into a Hurricane

I would plan accordingly

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »
I land in Orlando Sunday night. Storm should be cleared out by then. I am sure this week is gonna stink weather wise.  Batten down the hatches!

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
yup. no word yet.  my wife, son, and her parents are leaving tonight from honolulu to florida. i leave tomorrow. i ain't gonna get stuck if i don't have to.  maybe i'll just fly to Hilo or something for the day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk