Author Topic: Visit to Malaysia.  (Read 1673 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Visit to Malaysia.
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:14:00 AM »
I just returned from a short visit to Bentong in Pahang, Malaysia, to attend the wedding of my nephew. The durian season is just starting. But I was lucky enough to try many durian. I ate Musang King, D101, D24, D18, Black Thorn, Tekka and Kampung. Musang King is too sweet for my liking, I prefer D101 or D24.  Black Thorn and Tekka are both very good. D18 is like D101 but is orange coloured. I found Kampung to my liking. I could not find Monthong durians. I was also lucky to find 3 Mesta mangosteen fruits. These are sweeter than ordinary mangosteen, but there were no viable seeds in the fruits.
I managed to bring grafted plants of D101, BlackThorn, Tekka, Monthong, AFSA 50, Manggis Mesta, Anak Sekola Rambutan, Garcinia atroviridis and a seedling of Kampung.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Malaysia.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:29:29 AM »

Great job, Chandramohan :). I hope the trees you brought back home do well so that there will be budwood available for others in the future.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »
Could you please share name of the nursery where you got grafted durians? Did they survive bare rooting?
Manggis Mesta has viable seeds, but you need to eat like 1 kg to find 1-3 good seeds.
That's the only mangosteen I'm growing. All from seeds. Don't have regular mangosteen.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
Sounds like you got your durian fix for a while! ;)And you came home with grafted plants nice that way you can remember your Nephew when you attend to your plants. 8)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »

Great job, Chandramohan :). I hope the trees you brought back home do well so that there will be budwood available for others in the future.
Four years ago I brought grafted Musang King and they are doing well, except they suffered a setback in this year's heavy rains. they are fine now. So I am sure the plants this time should be okay.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »
Could you please share name of the nursery where you got grafted durians? Did they survive bare rooting?
Manggis Mesta has viable seeds, but you need to eat like 1 kg to find 1-3 good seeds.
That's the only mangosteen I'm growing. All from seeds. Don't have regular mangosteen.
I got the grafted durians from 'Karak Tong's Nursery'. I have one 4 year old Mesta seedling and now one grafted one.
25 years ago when I went to Malaysia, I ate only Kampung durian, because that was the only one available then. 5 years ago when I went to Malaysia,I ate only Musang king. But this time, thanks to TFF, I knew which all durians to ask for!!! Similarly during all my visits, my sister stopped me from buying 'Cempedak' saying it was no good. But this time, thanks to TFF, I bought and ate Cempedak, and believe me it is far better than any Jackfruit I have eaten in my life!!

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
Sounds like you got your durian fix for a while! ;)And you came home with grafted plants nice that way you can remember your Nephew when you attend to your plants. 8)
No way! If I didnot have my return ticket already booked and pending work in my farm, I would have continued eating durian!!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »
I ate mesta mangosteens but the taste is the same as round one...flavour is maybe even less strong.

They have big seeds..2 in a fruit.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »
I got the grafted durians from 'Karak Tong's Nursery'. I have one 4 year old Mesta seedling and now one grafted one.
25 years ago when I went to Malaysia, I ate only Kampung durian, because that was the only one available then. 5 years ago when I went to Malaysia,I ate only Musang king. But this time, thanks to TFF, I knew which all durians to ask for!!! Similarly during all my visits, my sister stopped me from buying 'Cempedak' saying it was no good. But this time, thanks to TFF, I bought and ate Cempedak, and believe me it is far better than any Jackfruit I have eaten in my life!!

Thank you for letting us know.

You can come to SL, it's durian season now. $2-4 for seedling fruits. If lucky, can get quality as good as D24 sometimes.