Author Topic: Visiting Brisbane  (Read 4879 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Visiting Brisbane
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:05 PM »
I arrived today after a whirlwind of fruithunting and seed swapping in Los Angeles.  No hassles on entry, thankfully.  I called http://www.tropicalfruitworld.com.au/events/ per BMc's suggestion to see what they have at their fruit market for sale.

Off hand Warren mentioned custard apple, jackfruit, babacao?, black sapote, various perisimmons, rollinia, dragon fruit...I asked about abiu no he said, o yea, looked right past them...we have heaps of them.

I'll be there tomorrow and will see if there is anything other than fruit I will be eating this week.

Pictures coming soon...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Visiting Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00:55 AM »
Babaco:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babaco
Don't look for seeds as it has none. Started from cuttings.
Oscar

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:17:25 AM »
Sounds like a great trip so far. Have a great time there.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »
Babaco:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babaco
Don't look for seeds as it has none. Started from cuttings.

Aha.  Never heard of it before.  Thanks.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »
Sounds like a great trip so far. Have a great time there.

Indeed.  Thanks. 

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:26:40 AM »
Try to get some Tropic Sun atemoyas and let us know if it is really up to all the hypes.
Thera

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:28:34 AM »
Tropical Fruit World was great today.  175 acres of land, most of which is planted with fruit trees.  500 types and in total over a thousand varieties.  I learned a few things at the fruit tasting about qualities associated wit various fruit which I will get back to later.  The tour was great as we went through various collections spanning what seemed like most of the planet.  I arrived early and was able to get my choice of fruit.  I didn't play as you can see here:

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 04:53:24 AM »
Heya future, you are at 28 latitude and no doubt feel a chill in the air.It should be an eye opener as to what can be grown in the sub tropics. If those atemoyas are Paxton Prolific and if the abiu are z4 then a report on how they stack up by an independent observer would be good.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »
Apologies for the delay Mike.  I have not been able to get access to the forum for a few days due to some error.  The atemoyas appear to be African pride (very ripe in the picture) and Booth (green and unripe in the picture).  The folks at TFW did not know the name of the abiu selection.  I do note two distinct shapes, one shaped like an American football and the other round.  So far the taste has been ok although I suspect because I have to work through the most ripe ones first and they are slightly over ripe.  I enjoyed the African Pride sweet and spicy taste.  Mind you I ate it directly after eating a rollinia which it made seen tame I comparison.  I just now ate the first Booth and was also very pleased with how it tasted.  Per the advice from TFW it had MUCH less seeds.  I may have found 8 viable seeds in a large fruit (about 6 soft seeds). 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Perfectly Ripe Chocolate Sapote
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

Perfectly Ripe Black Sapote

This was great.  No it wasn't sweet but the rich texture and taste were perfect.  I've left these go to get as ripe as they can get.  Once I finished eating, just the skin is left.  I dropped one by mistake a few days ago and it went splat.  Stayed together though so managed to salvage it.  Overhead one of the guys at Tropical Fruit World advising a customer not to put them on the front seat of the car like he did.  He jammed brakes and had a chocolate sapote mess to clean up off the floor.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Right now I am eating Santol for the first time.  I have been warned it requires "all day to eat".   

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »
Lucky you! Looks like your having lots of fun on your trip, really good to hear  ;D. Keep those photos and taste descriptions coming!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
Santol is a great fruit if you dont mind sucking flesh off the seed and a litte bit of that vegetative taste that ingas also have...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »
I visited the Brisbane City Farmers market yesterday.  A good market with lots of variety.  For the exotics it was mostly custard apple with several varieties of passion fruit and some heirloom tomatoes.  Lots and lots to. See though.  Was most impressed by a vendor growing and selling several types of mushrooms and also selling kits for people to do it themselves. 

More feedback:

Have been devouring fruit daily.  The abiu have improved as I have worked my way through them.  All the firm ones have an off white flesh rather than translucent and a very good taste.  I am presuming the round vs. pointed ones are different ones or do individual trees have different shaped fruit?

I am in a race now to process all I have and courier my short viability seeds home before moving on to Perth tomorrow.   

Rambutan degraded faster than I expected, some spoiled.   The last of the mangosteens and abiu and one half a large rollinia to be gastronomically appreciated.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »
Connected with BMc today and secured some fresh and ripe peanut butter fruit from.  Just ate them and I must say I enjoyed these a lot.  Thank you sir.  Good deal.

Forgot to take a picture of them....

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »
No problems!
Next time you are in town I should have less on (busiest time of my life right now, unfortunately) and will try better to show you around some local collections.
Thanks for the seeds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk