Author Topic: Visit Grimal Grove on Jan 17-20, 2014  (Read 21871 times)

TuttiFrutti

• Obsessed with Nepheliums!
    • NW Florida, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Visit Grimal Grove on Jan 17-20, 2014
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
This afternoon I had a wonderful discussion with Patrick Garvey, who is the coordinator of the Growing Hope Initiative in charge of the project to restore the Grimal Grove located on Big Pine Key in Monroe County, Florida.  I mentioned to him that I was interested in visiting the grove, and moreover that possibly there were other members of the forum who might also be interested in visiting and willing to assist with the cleanup and restoration of this beautiful property.

Right now, I'd like to know if there are other members of the forum who might be interested in participating in this opportunity before formalizing anything specific.  Partick offered two potential visitation months:  November 2013, when kids from Americorps would be there and also in January 2014 when we could also plan to do our own visit/cleanup project.  Those who can help with cleanup of the grove and/or identification of the specific plants would be a huge help.  Patrick hasn't specifically asked for any monetary donation, but whatever we wanted to contribute either individually or collectively would be deeply appreciated as GHI is a 501 (c) 3 non profit organization.

This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.  The property is home to hundreds of tropical and exotic fruit trees and plant species, many of which are unidentified and remain so as no examples exist elsewhere in the US for comparison.  Grimal built this place mostly alone by dynamiting and then hauling in topsoil.  When he died, the property fell into ruin until Patrick and his group happened upon it.

So if you are interested in participating, please shoot me a message with your preferred month to visit.  Once I have a general idea of when people would like to go, I will coordinate with Patrick and prepare a specific plan.  You'll need to provide your own transportation to the grove, but very low cost accommodations will be available 30 minutes away in Key West if you are interested in partaking of them.

Sorry this is so verbose.  And I know you'll have lots of questions (hopefully) but I'll answer as best I can and as timely as possible.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Grimal Grove, you can find out the history of Adolf Grimal and what Patrick and GHI are all about here:  http://growinghopeinitiative.org/grimal-grove/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:41:32 AM by murahilin »
Tamara

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Visit Grimal Grove on Jan 17-20, 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »
This is a great idea. Either month sounds good to me.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
Yes...I'd love to make the trip, and identify some of his plants.

Ive never met Grimal, but I think of him almost every day.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:11:08 AM »
I'd love to see the grove! Put me down
- David Antonio Garcia

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »
I'm in..I was actually e-mailing Patrick about the same info...good idea to get the forum involved.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »
Mr. Grimal actually fruited Rambutans down there but I doubt the trees have survived
FloridaGreenMan

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
Count me in, this would be cool!

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
Count me in, and my preference would be the January trip.

Jaime

TuttiFrutti

• NW Florida, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
Mr. Grimal actually fruited Rambutans down there but I doubt the trees have survived

I know!  It's amazing to think that he's one of only a few who fruited nepheliums in the US (no disrespect Oscar!) and they've just been left to languish.  Patrick said when he first came to the grove it was mostly overgrown with Brazilian peppers, but that has all since been cleared.  There are a surprising number of mature fruit trees that have survived and thrived, most of which they don't even know what they are.  I am so hoping that I can find at least a few that I can identify.  Sure am glad some of you true gurus are coming along.  I intend to learn a lot from you all!
Tamara

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
I would be interested.
Chris Rollins says the rambutan are gone. Key deer have done a lot of damage to the plants.
Richard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »
if the original Grimal Jaboticaba (Myrciaria spirito-santensis) is gone,  I have a bearing size tree I can donate. 

it's a direct descendant of his original tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TuttiFrutti

• NW Florida, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
if the original Grimal Jaboticaba (Myrciaria spirito-santensis) is gone,  I have a bearing size tree I can donate. 

What a delightfully fruitful idea.  I'll ask Patrick when I speak to him again tomorrow if he happens to know.  This would be a great human interest story IMHO, perhaps generate a bit of interest in the local paper, don't you think?
Tamara

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that after Grimal died some drug addicts moved in. They would leave the gate open and some deer browsed on many of the plants. I think the same article also said all the real rare ones, like rambutan, durian, and ? are gone. But i can't remember where i read this? Maybe it was a bad dream?  ???
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
You might be right Oscar... I've heard the same story...I think there's some truth to that...so it's not just your imagination
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
Well maybe we could all donate some rare seedlings to the grove, I'm sure between all the forumnites we could replace the lost things. I have a couple Durian seedlings that I know I will never fruit in Miami and would be happy to donate them to a happy home in the Grimal Grove.
- David Antonio Garcia

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
Count me in for a nice breadfruit I would be happy to donate.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »
Tamara,

it sounds like a good news story, but I would personally want to remain somewhat anonymous as a donor..

It would be nice  to see this forum get some credit in a news story...because all of the members seem to be pulling together to revitalize Grimals legacy.

I hope we can all visit, and donate plants (if they're needed)

What a delightfully fruitful idea.  I'll ask Patrick when I speak to him again tomorrow if he happens to know.  This would be a great human interest story IMHO, perhaps generate a bit of interest in the local paper, don't you think?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:48:12 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
How about a plan of what will be done?  For example:

8:00AM Arrival
9:00AM Analysis of site
9:30AM Preparation for repairs
10:00AM New plant introduction into garden from members (Break into groups of people)
etc.

This could all be on-going right on the forum.  Of course this would have to be with Owner's permission correct?

Adiel

TuttiFrutti

• NW Florida, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
How about a plan of what will be done?  For example:

8:00AM Arrival
9:00AM Analysis of site
9:30AM Preparation for repairs
10:00AM New plant introduction into garden from members (Break into groups of people)
etc.

This could all be on-going right on the forum.  Of course this would have to be with Owner's permission correct?

These things will certainly be forthcoming, however I only spoke with Patrick on Friday, July 19, and then briefly again this morning.  It was per his request that I not make things too formalized until we knew whether or not anyone was even interested in visiting the grove other than myself.  The next step will be to secure a date and to coordinate the accommodations for those who require them.

Also, as this is GHI's project and we are going as their guests, I would like to abide by whatever plan or program Patrick and his people propose for us.  Please let us remember this is an amazing opportunity, but it's not necessarily our "game," if you will.

Once I have additional information, which I expect to have later this evening, I will post it ASAP.  Thank you for your patience and your enthusiasm.

Tamara

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
This sounds great. I am in too.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
Well, I just gave away all my guanabana seedlings at the last RFC meeting.
Richard

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
I visited Adolf Grimal a couple of times in the early 1990's--- very interesting person and place.  I heard that after his death many of the trees with their shallow soil were entirely blown away by hurricanes.

Later I heard that the property had been acquired (?) or taken on as a project by Larry Shatzer of OUR KIDS' ORCHIDS nursery.
Har

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 01:11:33 AM »
Wow that would have been a cool place to visit. Wished I would have known about it in the early 90's (till '93) when we lived in Key West.
Put me on the list.

TuttiFrutti

• NW Florida, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »
OK, so I know you all thought I died, but I have been waiting for a date and other information.  So our date to visit the Grimal Grove will be January 17-20, 2014, which for many is a 3 day weekend as it's the MLK holiday.  As a national day of service, Patrick was kind of interested in doing something on this weekend.  Also, it seems the November date didn't work so well for him, despite his willingness, as apparently his wife is due to give birth that month.  (I'm sure we can give him a pass for this one, no?!) 

Anyway, now we need to know how many of you want or will require accommodations?  As stated, there is a church in Big Pine Key that offers something akin to a "youth hostel" experience, but it will be really, really inexpensive (+/- $30 per night).  It's no frills, but very clean and of course it's CHEAP.  Patrick is also working on a group rate at a local hotel for those who'd like something a little more "hotel like."  I do not have more information on this yet, but it will be forthcoming.  If you want, you also have the option of managing your own accommodations in the lower keys, i.e. Key West (30 mins. south) if you so choose.

In addition, there will be a small fee that we each will be asked to pay (not very much according to Patrick because we are coming to help out) that goes toward the purchase of the grove and the sponsorship of its program.  Apparently, the current owner had amassed some terrible fines for allowing the property to fall into such disrepair and Patrick and his non-profit are trying to clear up the mess so that they can get clear title to the grove for ownership.  It'll be nice to see the grove saved from disaster and Monroe County wants that to happen.  I will pin him down on this amount this week.

Also, if any of you are flying in, you can fly to either Key West or Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, the 17th and Patrick is willing to assist you with transport to the Keys.

So save your nickels folks.  We're going to the grove!  Questions?  Comments?  PM me!
Tamara

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »
thanks for the info!

do they have a kickstarter page for this??  Maybe it would be a good idea?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com