Author Topic: When to Pick Wurtz Avocados  (Read 3720 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
When to Pick Wurtz Avocados
« on: October 02, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »
I have five avocados on my tree, my first "crop" of Wurtz avocados.  When should I start to pick them?  They are larger than a Hass avocado.
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: When to Pick Wurtz Avocados
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
I have five avocados on my tree, my first "crop" of Wurtz avocados.  When should I start to pick them?  They are larger than a Hass avocado.

Is the tree in a pot or in the ground? Can it be grown in a pot? Thinking of getting one.. I got fruits for the first time of my Day avocado this year. Really nice tase, but some parts of the fruit were soft and the other hard... wonder why?

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
I was told the Wurtz we have in Florida is semi dwaf, so I wouldn't grow in the pot if I were you. The fruit will be ready to pick Oct to November, but was told it's best to pick mid November. You can try pick one, and let it ripe, and if it's not good enough, wait for a week and pick another one.

Here is my Wurtz grow progress:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27007.msg333607#msg333607

I will be tasting it for the first time this year as well!

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
In California I have a 'Wurtz' tree and I try to leave the fruit on the tree as long as possible.  The pictures of the tree and fruit look different than from what kc_moses has posted.  I still have fruit on the tree from the Spring bloom of 2017 plus fruit from the bloom this spring.  The fruit taste much better at the end of the season than the beginning.  I do not know if the fruit would hold well on the trees in Florida.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
So I'll wait a few more weeks and try one, and then go from there.  I'll let y'all how it tastes!
John

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
In California I have a 'Wurtz' tree and I try to leave the fruit on the tree as long as possible.  The pictures of the tree and fruit look different than from what kc_moses has posted.  I still have fruit on the tree from the Spring bloom of 2017 plus fruit from the bloom this spring.  The fruit taste much better at the end of the season than the beginning.  I do not know if the fruit would hold well on the trees in Florida.

The Wurtz we have on Florida is different than those in California. Those in California is more like "Little Cado".

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:59:11 PM »
A Wurtz I planted in the summer of 2015 bore 18 avocados this year -- plucked the last two today (they were pretty well hidden in the tree, so I missed them earlier).
Have been eating them the last month. Give them 7-10 days to ripen after plucking them off the tree, and they're fine.
My Wurtz isn't as fast-growing as someone on this thread mentioned. It's about 8 feet tall now.
A Day avocado planted at the same time is a bit taller than the Wurtz, and a Lula is much taller and wider.
But they all take well to pruning. I took a couple of arm-sized branches off the Lula a month ago, and it's putting out new growth in several spots - not just near the cut, but all along the branches. The Lula carried 60 or so full-sized fruit; have already eaten some, and letting others stay on the tree longer to see if there are changes in flavor if I harvest them later.
The Day had just one this year, but it was delicious. Nothing like the Hass, more "watery," but tasty nevertheless.
All the avos are planted in the ground.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 03:39:09 AM »
My tree has such a long season that I just wait for the fruit to fall.  The tree is so low to the ground that the fruit isn't damaged when they fall and it still takes a couple days for them to ripen inside once they have fallen.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
A Wurtz I planted in the summer of 2015 bore 18 avocados this year -- plucked the last two today (they were pretty well hidden in the tree, so I missed them earlier).
Have been eating them the last month. Give them 7-10 days to ripen after plucking them off the tree, and they're fine.
My Wurtz isn't as fast-growing as someone on this thread mentioned. It's about 8 feet tall now.
A Day avocado planted at the same time is a bit taller than the Wurtz, and a Lula is much taller and wider.
But they all take well to pruning. I took a couple of arm-sized branches off the Lula a month ago, and it's putting out new growth in several spots - not just near the cut, but all along the branches. The Lula carried 60 or so full-sized fruit; have already eaten some, and letting others stay on the tree longer to see if there are changes in flavor if I harvest them later.
The Day had just one this year, but it was delicious. Nothing like the Hass, more "watery," but tasty nevertheless.
All the avos are planted in the ground.

You are picking too early.  Lula is a couple  months away from being ready (season is usually later into Decemband through January (sometimes into February).

Wurtz is just coming into season in a few weeks.
- Rob

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »

Seriously?  How does the two year old fruit taste?  Dry at all? 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
Im still picking lamb hass and justnfinished thenreeds from winter 2017 blooms.  Not dry, super ripe.
Brad Spaugh

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »

Seriously?  How does the two year old fruit taste?  Dry at all?

The oil content is really high.  The only issues that I have with leaving fruit on the tree for a long time is that the seeds germinate inside the fruit or the critters eat them before I do.  This may also lead to alternate bearing.  I am going to try to hold some fruit from this tree and another tree that I grew from seed for as long as possible.