Author Topic: Thin my Mangos?  (Read 1527 times)

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
Thin my Mangos?
« on: May 26, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
My Gold Coast mango tree has been in the ground for three years and is about 4 - 5 feet tall. The trunk diameter is about 2" below the graft line, slightly smaller above the graft line. Last year I removed all the fruit. This year it is setting quite a bit of fruit, for the size of the tree. I'd like to get some fruit this year. Do I need to thin out the fruit? Or should I just wait and see how much of the fruit it drops without my help? The fruits are about 1 inch now.

Clay

<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

Clay

• View Profile
Re: Thin my Mangos?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »
Anybody have a clue about whether (or when) I should cull some of the fruit? Will it hurt it to just let them go and see what happens?

Clay
<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »
Can't tell you to thin or not as I don't have enough experience, but I do see people propping up their branches that fruit on them to help the tree take off some of the weight that gravity is adding from the fruit.

Just a thought.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
I dont think you need to rush to think anything yet...the fruit are small and not weighing down the tree at this point, and the tree will likely drop what it cant hold..and given this is obviously a very young tree..if you end up with handful after it drops naturally, that's good.
always longing for a JA Julie

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »
as we warm up and santa ana kicks in you may see lots of mango and avocado drops. mother nature takes care of business. If you see mangoes are sizing u say late June, simply remove from branches leaving what you want it to hold, but limit holds on less branches as other branches should be put towards growth for this year. otherwise you will end up with no growth on branches holding fruit.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 04:40:21 PM »

I'd wait for the tree to do its thing. It will hold what it is comfortable holding. If you thin the fruits now, you might end up with not many mangoes.

Clay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:17:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is my first year to (hopefully) get some fruit and I'm not sure what to expect. I'll leave it alone and see how the fruit develops. If the limbs start looking too heavy with fruit, I may devise some crutches under them to give some support.

Clay
<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
The correct advice is thin.
But I cant give that advice because I cant bring myself to thinning mine.
It has cost me this year for the first time.
On the same tree three this year, I have had 2 branches break.  About 2 weeks apart.
Both branches were loaded with fruits.
The first was a complete snap off, the branch completely separated.
The second was a lean to the ground.  I will have to cut it off but will try to save it long enough to harvest the fruits.

So, make your call but be ok with the consequences.

PS I have some branches I plan on cutting after the season.  The leaning branch was one of them.  It is on an older three I am trying to resize by taking a third off this year.