Author Topic: "Sapote" seeds in Aus?  (Read 2169 times)

Jasyan

• Brisbane, QLD, Aus
    • View Profile
"Sapote" seeds in Aus?
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:44:47 AM »
I currently have a teeny little 10-12" sapodilla, an abiu, a 'Bernicker' black sapote, and a 'Dade' white sapote.  They're all quite young, none have fruited, and only the white sapote has flowered.

I was wondering if anyone in Australia had any seeds from any of the "sapote" varieties?  I'm particularly interested in the mamey sapote, ross sapote and green sapote, but I'd prefer to grow my own.  I don't currently have the room for anymore trees, so I was hoping to grow the seedlings and then plant them once I've moved or have more room. 

I'd love to grow any of the "sapote" varieties, even ones I already have.  I love fruit that tastes like dessert, and you can never have too many delicious varieties!

Please let me know if you may have any seeds available now, or possibly in the future.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Jaz

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: "Sapote" seeds in Aus?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »
Hi Jaz,
I shave some seedlings laying about of mamey and maybe green sapote. You can get white sapote and canistel easily from the garden club and you can get Ross Sapote seeds from the Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens (tree along the back fence that is just about everbearing). Im just picking black sapotes now, so the season is starting here.

Jasyan

• Brisbane, QLD, Aus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:54 AM »
Hi BMc,

I would love a mamey and green sapote seedling if you have them.  Would you have any black sapote seeds available too?  I'd be happy to pay for them both, if you let me know the cost.

Which garden club do you mean that has the white sapote and canistel? 

If I have time this Friday, I'll check out the botanical gardens and see if there are any Ross sapote seeds there.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Cheers,
Jaz

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:06 AM »
I'll have seeds over the next few weeks for black sapotes.

Here is the link for the fruit club. http://stfc.org.au/meetings
If you attend a meeting you will see a big table with a hundred or so plants on it. There is a raffle for them. Black sapote, canistel and white sapote are seasonal staples on the table and occasionally you can score some real nice plants.

I only have a few mamey left, no green. I also have small fruit on my panting mammy, so should have my own seeds, relevant deity willing, in about 8-10 months.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:41:16 AM by BMc »

Jasyan

• Brisbane, QLD, Aus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »
I've just started back at university and am fairly busy with study at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to come pick anything up for a while.

I might be able to pick them up at the end of the month, or sometime next month, if that's okay.  Otherwise, I would be happy to pay for postage if you wanted to do it that way.

On my other topic, you mentioned possibly having some passiflora seeds now/in the near future, I would love some of those if you have them, too.  I really appreciate you helping me expand my fruit tree collection!

Cheers,
Jaz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk