Author Topic: Burmese Red Sugar Apple  (Read 8323 times)

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
Burmese Red Sugar Apple
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »
This past Friday I was lucky and fortunate to get my hands on this beauty from Coconut to sample.  This is Coconut's Burmese Red sugar apple. As you can see it has an intense red color and large size. This 1lb fruit had a total of 51 seeds. The flesh had a sweet creamy melt in your mouth custard like texture. Zero grit smooth as silk and a slight berry taste to it no aftertaste.  I would almost describe the taste similar to a berry flavored sugar apple yogurt. Definitely another amazing must have in anyone's fruit collection. The tree is growing in the shade and set lots of beautiful fruits without hand pollination. Too bad Coconut has lost most of them to the squirrels. There was one that he lost that was almost twice this ones size. Enjoy the pics.
Ron

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Burmese Red Sugar Apple
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
nice!!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
That looks nothing short of divine.

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
It sure was. It was amazing!

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:14 AM »
Very beautiful impressive fruit!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:48 AM »
Impressive! The fruit looks similar to Noel's Big Red except for the whiter colored flesh. Maybe it's the direct flash.
Thera

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
What a great time of year for sugar apples, looks great!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »
This fruit was heavy & weight down to the ground in the shade, in a sea of thick shaded greenery that I did not see to bag until too late.  Seed count was 94 so I estimate it close to 2lbs.  I figure fruit was eaten over a period of three days from starchy hard to ant soft.  If Ron Did not show up to check i wouldnt even know the bush buglar hit me again, & again. My next generation US selected Burmese Red & breed to a 3lbs pure A. Squamosa will be called a Pink Floyd in Honor of Ron's shirt; And I promise its flavor will be a stairway to taste heaven.

The Season for Burmese Red in Florida is in October, here is green (actually red purple) hard fruit that will ripe in october but as you can see attack by our Phantom Squirrel Ninjas again; I guess they are not color blind like I originally thought with my Boca Giant Chewy.

I have decided to grab the one lb hard as a rock undeveloped fruit over Ron objection to give him a chance to taste a real Burmese Red before squirrels destroy, I know it is not optimal but squirrels destruction merit it after discovering an unripe 2lbs fruit destroy before its prime.; I am only growing it for best seeds selection to send it back to northern Burma & Taitung for commercial trial.

I have twenty two strains of red/purple pure Annona Squamosa from all over the planet.  I have selected this Burmese Red for its dwarf, self fertile & ability to fruit in closed proximity literally shade for its homeland in the Golden Triangle of Northern Burma.

Taitung Annona Mafias have planted 50 hectares.  They & I hope it will be a top dollar fruit in Japan at 200.00 dollar per 2lbs fruit over the current Taiwanese Purple which are a smaller fruit for annual corporate bonus beside the Bluefin Tuna Sashimi Dinner for lower management.

This is the bloodline we have selected for developing the red chewy sugar apple.  My friend in Vietnam just outside of Hue have developed some very interesting red Chewy independ of mine; wonder what other Annona squamosa he has on his 1,000 hectares farm for export?  Some of you have ask me why not hybridize it with  a red flesh Annona Reticulata.  The simple fact is in Asia; many people nickname it the shit fruit; you grow it it fall into ground & you curse it after step on it by accident & it stick to your shoes like shit.  Many Asian eat annona reticulata & complain its quite laxative. 

I have hybridized it with annona squamosa boca chewy x annona reticulata san pablo in past hoping a fast pace to a 3 kg fruit but the only character I have gotten from the offsprings were a rubbery blob of a fruit unfit for a pond apple a. Glabra fancier like me; which does not say much! ;D. Also its a new improve shit fruit, when you step on its five lbs fruit it kind if fight back unlike its parent san pablo which definely feel like shit on shoes.  Also the fruits gave my Framily (friend & Family) gas so I quit going down that hybridize path & stuck with just improving with in A. Squamosa bloodline.  Why not with Cherimoya? Because I cant get any to flower in S. florida & why should I when The Boca Giant Chewy taste better than any Cherimoya; the Taitung Annona Mafias agreed & that is why they planted about 200 hectares now of Giant Boca Chewy Strain F3; AB = F2,a x F2,b (you can read it in Giant Boca Chewy & ron taste test for the three f2; a, b, c strains.

[/ur]
Ah yes, I am in process of breeding a 2 kilogram Burmese Red Dwarf with pink flesh and will name it Pink Floyd just like the shirt Ron accidentally worn to my fruit raid.  I hope this Burmese Boca Chewy will be a stairway to heaven of taste we will call Pink Floyd in seven years or so bare of any hurricane when it stabilizes enough for commercial production in Asia. 8)

Ok why purple or red is not as popular as green or white sugar apple; & why chewy is gaining traction over the old thai lessard & why Noel's big Red he got from broward rare fruit sale or my broward rare fruit 208 Whitman Fiberless are not commercially grown since they are excellent fruit and deserve to be in the most flatulence of fruit addict wills?

Its hard to answer no different than the Cuban & Puerto Rican & Carribean folks swear by Heaven that A. Reticulata is the best Annona, the Cuban even dare to the challenge us Annona Snobs by calling it Chirimoya to pissed off and insulted the California Cherimoya elites; which I wont mention any name being a Sith Breeder & all! ;D  :-X

Ok why red & purple not popular since it has been around since the Toltec built the first Temple in the Yucatan and select it from the dominance green; well its like a human sacrifice heart pull out of a conquer warrior which the Aztec moving from Oklahoma conquer Mexico & copy the practice of ripping out the heart & eating red sugar apples like how you eat hotdogs at a football game.  Yes U can only imagine like me while telling you this slightly tall tale they were quite popular back then; until those bible whore european priests arrived and burn all the Aztec Mayan Inca books; and the red fruit was smear from history & the green was allow because it is green & white flesh stand for European Purity & something God would grow in the Garden if Eden. When red these fruit are harvest green to ripe or tree ripen they tend to fall apart quickly and hence a fruit for the backyard purists and fancy squirrels epicurean like me for domestic tranquility.

They could not gain traction from a commercial aesthetic point if view, red/purple turn from a beautiful rouge to a blacken noir in no time.  I was at Foodtown last year & saw some low quality thai lessard and kampong Mauve ( the biggest fruit I have ever see); all green was bought out the mauve have degenerated into ebony & I had bought it to improve my new & improved kampong line. The Taitung purple when ripe the purple coloration tend to stay vibrant so it has become quite a popular commercial variety in Taiwan.
Burmese Red is a two cycle selections from seeds acquired seven years ago by a ruby trader on behalf of the wife.

Some of you ask what is stabilization? Well when you cross lets us say a. Squamosa to cherimoya and the fruit take, does it mean you created a new hybrid.  Yes & no, most first cross bear  nothing substantial yet, its the offsprings & the selection process you select to find a tree with fruiting quality your Market prefer or you can bred it to your preferences.  Than to stabilize you need to cross back a couple generation to get a seeds that bear close to the original parents quality, this is a life long process to keep thing pure as you can.  I usually find out if 100 seedlings from my bloodline, only 10% first generation kill all 90 other seedling, than you select the best out and recross & select only 10% of the next; around the ten years or  four three year cycle you will see something.  The nice thing about a. Squamosa selection is the bloodline I select are gear toward early bearing.  Seedling must flowers in 18 months here in south florida or it will be destroy. Once you have established a line that does that, it give you a little immortality to your breeding hobby and make your breeding goal attainable within your lifetime.  Once you develop a strain the Taitung Mafia pay you for your trouble, dont rest on your asses; keep improving along the way you get to try new fruit that no one have try; its is what keep me going & a Guinea Pig like Ron; an outsider keep you honest in your breeding taste! Hope that help answer some of your questions.  Where to start, find the best selection, stay away from the Kampong Mauve Line, widely known by serious commercial breeder as insipid, tree prone to white scale; all thought this backyard & front porch breeder has a new improve kampong selection in development more for personal line development than commercial.  Stick with the local red like Noel's red, Thai red, Indian Red, Thai purple and any local selected strains that can be identify as not Kampong Mauve ( which produce small insipid fruit ).  Start with good stuff & when you are successful you can degenerate to my level & play with trying to improve almost hopeless Kampong mauve.

Next Month we will highlight Taitung Purple ( Taiwanese Purple Strain F2; A, B, C, & D provide weather, squirrels & Ron's volunteerism.

Correction 100 dollar for large Taitung Purple & 200 dollar for giant Burmese red; to much work trying write & post on my 5s, if you are reading double me too, welcome to my club when you are 54! :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:27:28 AM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »
Great post!
Very informative and encouraging  for newbies with big aspirations  ;D
The hardest part is having to destroy so many bit it's the only way. I have seen the koi breeders kill the inferior colours at a young age by putting ice in the water least cruel apparently but seems so harsh!
 Darwinism survival of the fittest where the fittest means the best fruit possible so it seems vital to have less emotional attached to the plants.
Breading for early bearing first makes a hell of a lot of sense I would not have even thought of that!

I can't wait to see the taitung purple!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
That's a pretty sugar apple. Very nice, coconut.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »
That's a pretty sugar apple. Very nice, coconut.

Thank Phil, does the Pinoy have any quality Atis?  My Santol did not set fruit so I know I need to have a second one for cross. I got some top of the line sweet santol from Ayathoya four seedlings; hopefully they will fruit in three years & pollinate Oscar's seedling that flower this year.
With this heat wave you might be in the tropic zone.  If we nuke Russia today into oblivion that should till the axis a few degree & put me in the Mangosteen belt and you in Maryland the new subtropic great for red sugar apple. ;)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 12:57:30 AM »
Great post!
The hardest part is having to destroy so many bit it's the only way. I have seen the koi breeders kill the inferior colours at a young age by putting ice in the water least cruel apparently but seems so harsh!
 Darwinism survival of the fittest where the fittest means the best fruit possible so it seems vital to have less emotional attached to the plants.
Breading for early bearing first makes a hell of a lot of sense I would not have even thought of that!

I forgot to tell you, only select seeds from the top ten percent of the largest fruit on your tree, the rest of the seeds destroy. For example we have 100 fruit ten of them is the 3lbs class, no problem go ahead & collect only seeds from the ten 3lbs fruit and destroy the rest of seeds from the 90 fruits.  This way it insures you do not pollute the Annona world with your mediocre talent.  Select all the sinkers from the seed of the 10 3lbs fruit from that first crop; sinker test dump all fresh seeds in water, what float throw away! Fertilize heavily with organic after first crop, trim aggressively so new flower flush out.  Again take seeds from top 10% for field trial & breeding.  Keep choosing the finest breeding zoo & you should breed a few winners once every decade and a haft.  If you kill the past you be able to develop the present much more quickly, so always look for a reason to cull the herds.  Do a water dunk test, drought test, thriw the plant in a fire ants hill & see what scale & aphid they bring to farm on your tree, if tree survive kill all the ants and do a walk in freezer or chiller test for 10 minutes, see what survive.  When transplanting just rip the seedling out of nursery pot & plant them in individual pot, the survival that face this Spartan discipline will be the 5% you will used exclusively for your breeding zoo & kill the rest stragglers.  This way insure your breeding & grow out is in synchronize with life & death; a balance use of space! Also run over to the Koi breeder & get all his/her fish cull, put them in a seal jar & ferment them about a month.  If you dilute this fish emulsifier & spray diluted on your fruit tree trunk.  Guaranteed an excellent organic feed. :D

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »
Great post!

I forgot to tell you, only select seeds from the top ten percent of the largest fruit on your tree, the rest of the seeds destroy. For example we have 100 fruit ten of them is the 3lbs class, no problem go ahead & collect only seeds from the ten 3lbs fruit and destroy the rest of seeds from the 90 fruits.  This way it insures you do not pollute the Annona world with your mediocre talent.  Select all the sinkers from the seed of the 10 3lbs fruit from that first crop; sinker test dump all fresh seeds in water, what float throw away! Fertilize heavily with organic after first crop, trim aggressively so new flower flush out.  Again take seeds from top 10% for field trial & breeding.  Keep choosing the finest breeding zoo & you should breed a few winners once every decade and a haft.  If you kill the past you be able to develop the present much more quickly, so always look for a reason to cull the herds.  Do a water dunk test, drought test, thriw the plant in a fire ants hill & see what scale & aphid they bring to farm on your tree, if tree survive kill all the ants and do a walk in freezer or chiller test for 10 minutes, see what survive.  When transplanting just rip the seedling out of nursery pot & plant them in individual pot, the survival that face this Spartan discipline will be the 5% you will used exclusively for your breeding zoo & kill the rest stragglers.  This way insure your breeding & grow out is in synchronize with life & death; a balance use of space! Also run over to the Koi breeder & get all his/her fish cull, put them in a seal jar & ferment them about a month.  If you dilute this fish emulsifier & spray diluted on your fruit tree trunk.  Guaranteed an excellent organic feed. :D
I will grow a hard heart and be ruthless to my seedlings! Many different micro climate conditions on the property to help find the strongest specimens and completely different climate on a family coastal home and a friend who.owns a farm far north:)

Hahahaha I love fish emulsion but if I make my own I might have family disputes! They already kick a literal shitfit when I use smelly chicken dropping pellets on the daylilies and roses! When we still had rabbits they made the best scentless ready to use fertiliser got the biggest roses ever
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
While the idea of turning my "slice" of the tropics into an acual slice of the tropics sounds tempting, I think I prefer to just move somewhere warmer ... :) lol That sucks about the Santol ... but it sounds like you've obtained a nice variety.

I had a good commercial variety of Atis back in 2008, and planted the seeds when I got home to the US, tossed the seeds in one pot, and 9 or so sprouted. They eventually flowered in the pot, and I never got around to repotting, they crapped out in 2013. Oh well, maybe you will have some extra seeds at some point?
Here's a photo from then.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »
Made sure to bookmark this post. Lots of good information and ideas on selecting seedlings and culling them to get superior selections. Thanks for the post Coconut, not sure how long viable cherimoya pollen last.

I can ask around and see if someone could help you out with your breeding efforts (Perhaps you would want to seek the top ranked cherimoya selections from past Cherimoya tasting). I would highly recommend Behl cherimoya pollen, if you were looking to introduce an amazing Cherimoya to your breeding.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8550.0
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 09:26:03 PM »
This afternoon I beat my eternal bush nemesis to another Burmese red and what a relief.

I took it over to Frank in Boca aka Franciscu and I watch him & his wife stuff the Boca Chewy & the Burmese Red in deep meditation like it was their last supper and I was the grim reaper soon to end their fruit lust. The room was so quiet all I heard was the space in the silent leading into a unison wow by these Gringo from New Jersey.  I never knew that in my breeding hobby it has brought this couple closer to a common thread; a sith garden in their backyard.  Soon I will take over the world and evict the banana from its tropical produce throne, I just need time! And some help! :'(

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »
Jack, your Burmese looks so good!  The pics put me in squamosa exctasy!!
Life is good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
Jack, your Burmese looks so good!  The pics put me in squamosa exctasy!!

u mean xtc like Tim Curry in this video from 55 sec - 1min 4 sec??  :P

because that's how i feel too!  thanks for sharing pics of this treat Coconut, your driving the annona community crazy with your posts!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMf8ltkCgM
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
When you open up your Burmese Red Nursery, be sure to let us know.  :)

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »
Thanks,  Jack, for that opportunity yesterday to taste your Boca Chewy and Burmese Red. We're still in the deep meditation :-)). The experience of seeing your place with all those health-giving plants is going to change our world here. I was out looking around this morning. For some of my trees now I am going to have to become a grim reaper. Taking space but not giving us good taste, or food, or anything. You're the MAN!
- Frank

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks,  Jack, for that opportunity yesterday to taste your Boca Chewy and Burmese Red. We're still in the deep meditation :-)). The experience of seeing your place with all those health-giving plants is going to change our world here. I was out looking around this morning. For some of my trees now I am going to have to become a grim reaper. Taking space but not giving us good taste, or food, or anything. You're the MAN!
- Frank

Well thankyou for allowing me to field trial Big Eyes SUgar apples & whitman fiberless selection on your property.  It s nice to find some one with a darwinism attitude toward breeding, and yes Frank its all
About taste & how much to fill the belly.  Nice to meet kindred in your wife Cherokee background! I am sure we Choctaw have argument with our Cherokee brother, but after they all march us in the Cherokee Trail of tears to Oklahoma we are more bonded now than just a few gambling Casinos!  You think They allow us to sneak in a few bison to graze your backyard, no one would notice in your sleepy section of the beach? ;)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
What a crazy day today, wife Porsche arrive from Germany & I had to ditch her Mercedes at carmax this morning cause she forget to get her title from DMV last Friday, so we been running around Sunday for nothing to unload her old car. Got home now and found my sick Maltese girl with diarrhea on her ass, so I had to give her a butt bath clean up her cancer biopsy wound from the incompetence Vet.  I let her run back swimming pool to dry air  and saw the Bushytail Ninja strike me again.

My Burmese Red annona were hit with vengeance like ISIS in Iraq;
Here is senseless beheading of my fruits;

As you can see these new batch of squirrel terrorist have snuck under the wrap bag fruits & commit such heinous act of war. Two giant fruit in their bags were smash in this foto & left to an ant party;

They are nearly 42 ounces for the two unripe destroy fruit;

I manage to save two fruits to be send to Sedeation & sleepdoc to do a tasting.

All is not lost as the squirrels left the seeds this time.

The Largest fruit I was able to discover mutation or seed cross with the highest chance of being a dual new cultivar;

These seeds will be closest to it parent Burmese Red

this one seed from the fruit has the Giant Boca Chewy marker, the brown dot on the black seed

Here is what all Giant Boca Chewy line seeds look like, black with brown dot center; you only see it when seeds are fresh;

Here is what the cross look like f2,B royal palm

Ron Sedeation were kind enough to let us know its taste was excellent like Boca Giant Chewy in the Giant Boca Chewy thread. Now this fruit Father is Boca Chewy F3 & Mother is Burmese red F1, A.

So The Largest Burmese attack by squirrels today with the single seed Boca Chewy can turn out to be like this

in two-three years we will have this, we are very close like one cycle.  My Friend in Vietnam already has a red flesh chewy it look good but it taste like a blob of bad jello. I dont think he is going to produce this jello Vietnamese Chewy, he said my Chewy is the best Chewy in its class and has a golden huge. His was impatient breeding to market with reticulate blood in it. I dont think he is growing it commercially on his 1,000 hectares farm for export. 

The second burmese destroy by the ISIS Squirrel Terrorist;

two mutation or unique seed from this Red Fruit with a slight Giant Boca Chewy Marker.
And this has the greatest chance of becoming this

Its that simple, look at your seeds to see what you can discover the hidden story bellow that ebony gem.  So when you have a statistical aberration from the normal cross, whether side cross, front criss or back cross to itself.  The normal crowd from the pack become uninteresting crosses. So used seed observations, breed a seed line with unique marker only to that line, than that as another tool in your bag to learn how to bred & select the best quality for your fruit.  Always start with the best line. The Giant Boca Vietnamese Chewy I the best selection in the planet after almost two decades of work.  The Burmese Red is a second generation that has a develop a chewy ness that no other red or purple in my 24 strains have.  So went you work this methodically without all the Botanical bullshit genetic sticking up your ass; you will have no
Problem backyard breeding like this novice sith! Next year hopefully we will see the world first 24k Golden Annamese Chewy if my Friend dont already beat me to it; ah the misery of being a sith breeder.  ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
nice pics coconut...what type is that red fleshed reticulata?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
nice pics coconut...what type is that red fleshed reticulata?

Yes it is an annona reticulata  from a Cuban Sith buddy breeder in Miami I coined it Mayan Blood( red skin this creamy strawberry rhubard pie flavor, and fruit in Miami heavily and quite small with large fruit around 2lbs.  But the tasty fruit make San Pablo & Fernadez look like  they are a blob of bad diarrhea. Its the Only custard apple I can eat without giving me a Pelee Eruption in the land under and gagging to death.  I have a small tree but has not fruited yet.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
thanks for info coconut

i have one reticulata i named after my friend who gave me the seedling from Belize...called Kimber Red.

its a real winner...and taste much different than San Pablo...with a different texture.

i wonder if you'd like the taste of this one?  it was extra soft, taste like strawberry cream i guess.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk