Author Topic: passiflora quadrangularis pollinate each other?  (Read 1109 times)

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
passiflora quadrangularis pollinate each other?
« on: December 29, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
Hi all growers!
i m planning to plant two plants of passiflora quadrangularis, and i have a little hesitation because it is generally described as not self fertile. But what if i plant two of them close to each other? will they pollinate each other? Since this is said to be very common a plant in the tropics, what is your experience?
By the way, if i plant two passiflora ligularis next to each other, will they pollinate each other?
Thank you!

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: passiflora quadrangularis pollinate each other?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:23:07 AM »
If the 2 plants you have are propagated from cuttings... then your 2 plants would more than likely be the clones of the original vine... and planting 2 plants would be the same as growing a single plant... pollen wise.
I would think you would need another species.
I got my "Ruby Glows" to set fruit by hand pollinating with Edulis and Incarnata.

Kevin

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
I planted single quadrangularis vine, set fruit, but I have other passionfruit vines on the property that could have cross pollinated it.

Hi all growers!
i m planning to plant two plants of passiflora quadrangularis, and i have a little hesitation because it is generally described as not self fertile. But what if i plant two of them close to each other? will they pollinate each other? Since this is said to be very common a plant in the tropics, what is your experience?
By the way, if i plant two passiflora ligularis next to each other, will they pollinate each other?
Thank you!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:59:36 PM »
Single vines can fruit but I they seem to prefer to outcross. Passiflora alata can pollinate them and even hybridize but I doubt other species can.

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »
i read the answers today, thank you all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk