Author Topic: wanted mango seedS  (Read 1751 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
wanted mango seedS
« on: June 03, 2021, 11:21:27 AM »
Hi all I am looking for a source for a bunch of mango seeds, I teach  give Propagation and grafting classes for crfg members so I can show how to grow the seed then later how to graft the seedling root-stalk these classes are Free so I am hoping for the same on the seeds  and I will pay the shipping.   thanks in advance   Patrick

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: wanted mango seedS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »
If I lived closer, I'd buy you a box of Ataulfo mangos!
Shane

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:32:06 PM »
Hi Shane and think you I was going to do that but everything I have been reading of late is telling me that those seeds are irradiated and will not sprout, and I am also looking for a lot of seeds 1 or 2 hundred would be great.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »
Patrick,

When I was grafting a lot of mangos, I went to the Indian supermarkets and purchased their Kent mangos when they were on sale for about $4.99-5.99/box. This was many years ago. The Kent’s made great rootstocks. I brought in the fruit to work and gave them out for free and asked everyone to bring me back the seeds.

Simon

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 11:09:44 AM »
Hi Shane and think you I was going to do that but everything I have been reading of late is telling me that those seeds are irradiated and will not sprout, and I am also looking for a lot of seeds 1 or 2 hundred would be great.

I asked my local diner to save seeds. He estimates ~25/week. Will let you know when i have a hundred :)
Shane

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
Patrick,

When I was grafting a lot of mangos, I went to the Indian supermarkets and purchased their Kent mangos when they were on sale for about $4.99-5.99/box. This was many years ago. The Kent’s made great rootstocks. I brought in the fruit to work and gave them out for free and asked everyone to bring me back the seeds.

Simon
Thanks Simon, when do the Kent mango come in?  BTW I sent you a e-mail about a week ago

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »

I asked my local diner to save seeds. He estimates ~25/week. Will let you know when i have a hundred :)
Thank You Shane that would be great, have you had luck sprouting them?

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
Never tried those seeds in particular. But in general, sure. Some batches get moldy and that usually doesn't work out. I don't know if that's connected to handling or the source or type of mango.
Shane

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »
How long do seeds keep before you have to plant them? Assuming they are cleaned of all pulp.
- Val

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
I sometimes leave them in the husk for weeks. But have done any serious testing.
Shane

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 07:32:26 AM »
Patrick, I planted boxes of mango seeds (Ataulfo fruits) a few years ago from H-mart. Out of 120 seeds, I only got 20 to grow and out of the 20 only 3 survived for me. I peeled each seed shell and planted them in a large container. Not a good experience for me growing seeds from the market.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »
Patrick, I planted boxes of mango seeds (Ataulfo fruits) a few years ago from H-mart. Out of 120 seeds, I only got 20 to grow and out of the 20 only 3 survived for me. I peeled each seed shell and planted them in a large container. Not a good experience for me growing seeds from the market.
Hi Kaz that seems to be most peoples luck with the store bought fruit now days I was really hoping  someone from Florida would help out

Gryph

• 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »
I have some seeds in FL, but I thought you guys got plant stuff confiscated through the post office

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »
17 so far Patrick.

Btw, might ask again later in the season. My first mangos will probably ripen in September.
Shane

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 09:05:32 PM »

I've had a high success rate with planting Ataulfo/Manila seeds

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 10:26:14 PM »
I have some seeds in FL, but I thought you guys got plant stuff confiscated through the post office

Definitely not the case.
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Patrick,

Simon
Thanks Simon, when do the Kent mango come in?  BTW I sent you a e-mail about a week ago

Hey Patrick,

I never received an email or message from you. Can you please re send. I believe you have my cell number so you can also call or text me.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 11:29:22 AM »
Hi all I am looking for a source for a bunch of mango seeds, I teach  give Propagation and grafting classes for crfg members so I can show how to grow the seed then later how to graft the seedling root-stalk these classes are Free so I am hoping for the same on the seeds  and I will pay the shipping.   thanks in advance   Patrick

Still want seeds? I sent you PM
zzzzzz

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 09:37:20 PM »

Still want seeds? I sent you PM
zzzzzz
Sorry Zands I did not see the pm, but yes I still want seeds and think you

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »

skhan

United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
View Profile Yard as of Jan 2019: Email Personal Message (Offline)

Selling Mango seeds
« on: June 18, 2021, 02:17:37 PM »
I have been shucking mango seeds out of their pits for the last week.

$2.00 a seed
Minimum of 10 seeds per order, minimum of 2 per variety (unless i only have 1)

3x Cac (I'm having trouble shucking this without damaging the embryo, I'll send clean seeds with husk the 3 are done)
1x Coconut Cream
4x Dot
6x Edward
4x Juicy Peach (I'm having trouble shucking this without damaging the embryo, I'll send clean seeds with husk the 4 are done)
7x Fruit Punch
1x Guava
2x Harvest moon
5x Pickering
2x Orange Sherbet
1x Sweet Tart
6x Zinc

Please claim them on this post so other members have an idea of what's in stock.
I'll contact via PM for whoever is interested

US orders only

Shipping priority mail 2-3 days shipping $8.5
Paying via the goods and service is fine

I'll plant whatever remains, hoping to get some land within the year for agriculture research
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 04:54:28 PM by skhan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk