Author Topic: Nam doc never producing  (Read 1102 times)

popnull

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
Nam doc never producing
« on: June 20, 2021, 08:51:53 AM »
I have a Nam doc tree that I have had for 7 years and I bought it as a 3 gallon from Fairchild years ago. I live in Broward County Florida. Do you think I should just remove the tree? It never flowered either. I saw this piece of fruit at the bottom of the tree today that is very hard. The tree is near a Carrie tree but this does not look like a Carrie fruit.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Nam doc never producing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
Dude, wtf is that.

😂 lol but seriously I have the same non-producing and non-flowering  issue with my NDM and many have told me they have had the same bad luck with NDM. I would say all things considered, including that wrinkly stinky thing, cut that abomination down! You got some kinda hudu-vudu on that thing! Also May have been a seedling and not grafted I think lots of nursery’s try to get away with that with NDMs because they grow true to seed usually. If that’s the case it could take 7-10 years to fruit. I’m about to top-work mine to a better variety I mean it’s a nice girthy root stock usually.
Just my opinion.

popnull

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »
Lmao that must be what happened. It's ridiculous waiting this long 😂 I guess I could continue to wait or just cut it down and give up on it

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »
Lmao that must be what happened. It's ridiculous waiting this long 😂 I guess I could continue to wait or just cut it down and give up on it

At this point just keep it because it will fruit soon, in the meantime you can cut off a branch and graft some varieties onto it.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 03:20:11 PM »
If it was purchased at a reputable nursery, its grafted.  I have never heard of a real nursery selling seedling trees as named varieties, whether NDM or any other.
- Rob

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 06:14:02 PM »
You win the ugly mango contest for the century.Fugly, I have to wash my eyes.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »
If you show a picture of the tree it is usually pretty easy to tell a seedling by looking at the tree habit. Seedling trees are almost always more tall and erect compared to grafted. There could be many reasons why your tree hasn't flowered. Try posting a photo, it may help.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 07:02:12 PM »
I agree with Tommyng, find 2 or 3 branches and graft something you want onto it.
... and watch the NDM fruit heavily next year (fear of being replaced :) )

.. but seriously, that way it is like removing it and not removing it, you keep your options.  If at some time in the future you decide to remove the NDM completely, take the none grafted branches off (and graft even more onto them) you will already have another variety fruiting or close to fruiting.  If you graft a scion from a mature fruiting tree onto a mature rootstock like yours, you can have fruits in two years. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 07:08:34 PM »
I agree with Tommyng, find 2 or 3 branches and graft something you want onto it.
... and watch the NDM fruit heavily next year (fear of being replaced :) )

.. but seriously, that way it is like removing it and not removing it, you keep your options.  If at some time in the future you decide to remove the NDM completely, take the none grafted branches off (and graft even more onto them) you will already have another variety fruiting or close to fruiting.  If you graft a scion from a mature fruiting tree onto a mature rootstock like yours, you can have fruits in two years.

If the NDM truly produced the wart covered thing above, I would be very cautious grafting anything on it.  Removing and safely disposing of the tree may be your best bet.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »
Was the nam doc mai#4 we have today really better than the original nam doc mai trees you could buy at nurseries? #4 was presented as an improved version. I have seen the old version NDM trees and they were loaded. Someone should start grafting the old version. Perhaps Alex-Squam. Anyways, for Thai/SE Asian mangoes sector, the taste of the Pim Seng Mun is superior. Has a floral element to it. PSM is elongated like the NDM.

While The SE-Asian/Vietnamese mango called Cac or Coc is their round mound of rebound.....

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 07:38:52 PM »
I am not sure the picture if of a mango.
If it were though, I will suggest someone went a little too far in trying to get pineapple flavor in a mango and ended up with a cross between a pineapple and a mango  :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 06:42:48 PM »
OP, can you try to smell the mystery fruit? The smell should positively identify either mango or ET's poop.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 08:56:14 PM »
It’s a fruit off a vine.
Nothing exotic.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »