Author Topic: Tell me what is wrong with my Meyer Lemon plant?  (Read 1214 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Tell me what is wrong with my Meyer Lemon plant?
« on: August 26, 2020, 03:59:38 PM »
Hey guys,
I bought this Meyer lemon plant from Lowes three years ago. I live in the Florida Keys and this plant is in a coral rocky soil that gets a full day of sun. I planted it in potting soil and keep it watered. I also keep it fertilized with Advocato/Citrus fertilizer.
As you can see..it is barely hanging on. It has never produced any fruit except for the first few months after I bought it. For perspective the mulched area is 3ft across and it's height is about 2 feet tall. It has went downhill from there. The main trunk has died but a little life is left on smaller trunk. Any ideas what to do? Maybe move it to a pot on the porch? Just dig it up and throw away?
Thanks

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:17:25 PM by Homeby5 »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me what is wrong with my Meyer Lemon plant?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
When dried dead leaves are hanging on like that I am pretty sure it means that it ran out of water.  It looks small enough you could probably dig it up and have a look at the root area to see if it is all dried out

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 03:04:48 AM »
Have you tested your soil for sodium chloride levels? If there's excess salt in your soil it plants become very vulnerable when stressed for water.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:58:58 AM by kumin »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »
What is the history of this tree?  How often do you water?  Do you fertilize, and if you do, how often and with what formula?  When you planted the tree did you only use the soil from digging the hole, to refill, or did you add foreign ingredients?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »
Have you tested your soil for sodium chloride levels? If there's excess salt in your soil, plants become very vulnerable when stressed for water.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
Thanks guys,
I haven't tested the soil for sodium chloride.
As far as watering....yes...as I said I keep it watered. I even had an AC condensation line running to it full time for about 6 months and it still didn't do well.
As far as soil...I used planting soil that the plant came in and added some more store bought planting soil. I live in The Keys and we basically don't have soil but coral rock. Literally have to use pic ax to dig a hole.
As far as fertilizer....i throw some Miracle grow on it as well as some Advacato/Citris fertilizer. Not sure of the numbers....

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
I understand about the soils in he Keys.  However, with the added ingredients, what happens when doing so is that you actually forum a lake that the tree's root set in.  Generally is the ground around your tree free draining? 

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 09:39:07 AM »
Yes...it's free draining.
Thanks

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »
Coral rocky soil is too high a pH to grow citrus. Grow it in a pot. The growing mix should not have any of you native soil. You can always do a litmus test on your soil.  Phone up your local agriculture agent about your citrus problems.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 05:46:50 PM »
Sure looks like a pretty significant soil issue. Does it drain ok or repel water so the tree is not getting water? Is it saline, have a crazy pH or planted in a way that creates a pan/well? Have you fertilised it a bit too generously or watered from a source of water with unhelpful 'additives'?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk