Author Topic: Anyone getting terrible tasting Kents this year?  (Read 12074 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Anyone getting terrible tasting Kents this year?
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »
Not sure if it's too early or if I did something to offend my Kent tree, but have had two mangoes ripen thus far and both have been atrocious - ok maybe an exaggeration, but a Tommy Atkins/Haden type flavor experience. Kent usually delivers consistently for us, so I'm hoping maybe these are just early and not indicative of the remaining fruits.

Anyone else experiencing the same with their Kents?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone getting terrible tasting Kents this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I think you've just had some of the new Zill varieties that weren't Kents so your taste buds have readjusted and will no longer allow you to eat such mediocre mangos. It happens to us all.

I would top work the entire Kent tree to LZ.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »
My early T/A's had a chemical taste which carried over when dehydrated. Its all good now(?).

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
Yes, as Sheehan said, pick and sell those Kents and top work the tree to something of quality.   The funny think, you said they provide a Haden taste experience. ..that would actually be a good thing as a Haden is much better than a Kent, flavor wise.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
I think you've just had some of the new Zill varieties that weren't Kents so your taste buds have readjusted and will no longer allow you to eat such mediocre mangos. It happens to us all.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »
Kent can be pretty good late in the season.

Haven't had any this year.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:40:55 PM »
Purchased about a dozen Kent  at our mango expo down here couple weeks ago,  they were top notch.  I looked forward to my Kent everyday when I got back from work. 

The Hadens I purchased, were not as good as they could have been,  but not bad. only a couple were watered down.  Palmer this year were very good, compared to previous two years

If I knew those Kents were going to be that good, I would have gotten the growers number,  I would drive a couple hours if I had to for a box of those.

Remember I am not as lucky as you folks in Fla with back yard growers of all the neat Zill creations,  only thing readily available to me are some commercial varieties, and as those go, Kents are the best. I much prefer them over Keitt, not that their is anything wring with them, but prefer the texture of the Kent.

and on special occasion I may get my hands on one or two rare ones from someones private variety orchard.   eventually my trees will start giving fruit, and I will have more selection, but do not think I will say no to a Kent.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »
Even with no newer Zill varieties I would still not recommend a Kent.   I would much rather have the following non new Zill varieties over a Kent: Spirit of 76,  Southern Blush,  Mallika,  Cushman,  Fairchild,  Beverly,  Dupius,  Coc,  PPK,  Dot, Okrung, Mahachanok, hell, even a Zill,  to name a few in no particular order.
- Rob

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »
Picked up a box from the Asian market, hot dipped from Mexico.   So hardly a valid test.
A tiny bit chalky, and some jelly seed.  Probably picked too early.   Good, but not as good as memory says. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:29 AM »
We get bad Kents every year in Australia and it has nothing to do with jelly seed.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 05:14:53 AM »
A couple weeks back I was actually thinking about writing an "underrated mango" thread based largely off some lovely Kents I had. Actually  scooped a few more yesterday...not the most complex tasting (which isn't necessarily always a bad thing), but lovely mango.

Also honestly, to each their own, but several of these new Zill varieties, while good and in some cases very good, to me at least are quite overrated in relation to the hype they get. I get the feeling others may feel the similar to me, but feel as though well the experts say they are the greatest, and Zill is steeped in lore, so....

The "mediocre" Kents I've eaten this season have been more enjoyable than several of the new varieties I've tasted (including the alleged GOAT), some of which have been good some of which have been entirely forgettable, or memorable for the wrong reasons.

always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:49 AM »

Didn't happen to me, maybe I'm the exception. Eating these newer varieties over the last few years hasn't diminished my appreciation for several of the more traditional mangos..to the contrary it's increased my appreciation for them.

Good stuff, but way overhyped in many cases. I have a hunch that the nomenclature  (which I find a bit silly) for many of these newer varieties has a lot to do with the buzz and hype.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:23:01 AM by Jani »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »
A couple weeks back I was actually thinking about writing an "underrated mango" thread based largely off some lovely Kents I had. Actually  scooped a few more yesterday...not the most complex tasting (which isn't necessarily always a bad thing), but lovely mango.

Also honestly, to each their own, but several of these new Zill varieties, while good and in some cases very good, to me at least are quite overrated in relation to the hype they get. I get the feeling others may feel the similar to me, but feel as though well the experts say they are the greatest, and Zill is steeped in lore, so....

The "mediocre" Kents I've eaten this season have been more enjoyable than several of the new varieties I've tasted (including the alleged GOAT), some of which have been good some of which have been entirely forgettable, or memorable for the wrong reasons.

yeah but you feel the Julie is the GOAT so not sure your taste buds know what they're doing.   Hahahahahaha   ;) 8) :P
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »
We have admitted  mango snobs, mango modernists, I guess I'm more a mango traditionalist   ;D there's room for all of us in the mango lovers club.

Julie the queen of fruit  ;D

Anyway on a more serious note, I was thinking about the Julies we got maybe a month ago up there, and others I've gotten over the years here in FL, and I can totally get it why people ask what's the fascination with these ...

they are just nothing like the real Caribbean Julies, def not in taste, not texture, size, outward appearance and so on an so forth ..it's almost  like a completely different variety.

Luckily there are a few trees here locally I know of that have somewhat close to a legit Julie experience..maybe the right coming together of conditions or something..

A perfectly ripe in season Julie on the islands (esp Jamaica ), may not change all doubts (def not Rob! ;D ) But I think people will at least say wow this is way better than the florida julie experience ...

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 07:45:42 AM »
Kents are coming in too early this year. They are a late July into August mango so are not ripening correctly. The tree has not processed enough sunlight and high temperatures. The second half of your Kent crop should improve and might be normal. Keep your fingers crossed. I have a high opinion of Kents. Mine are rock hard. Pulled off the best looking one yesterday and doubt it will ripen well inside.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
I chopped my Julie tree down in disgust after 5 seasons of exceptionally ordinary fruit.I may be a bit hot and wet for their finest development but I never had a good one.Compared to honeygold, okrung, KP or Sam ru du both kent and Julie don't cut it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
Kent can be an excellent mango, but possibly they don't reach their full flavor potential in Florida.  There's a Kent tree in the neighborhood, and the fruit reminds me of washed-out Glenns.  However, it sits in the middle of the St. Augustine lawn, which gets watered every day.  That would probably ruin any mango!  Mexican Kents (hot and dry climate) can be outstanding.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:25:19 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
Kent can be an excellent mango, but possibly they don't reach their full flavor potential in Florida.  There's a Kent tree in the neighborhood, and the fruit reminds me of washed-out Glenns.  However, it sits in the middle of the St. Augustine lawn, which gets watered every day.  That would probably ruin any mango!  Mexican Kents (hot and dry climate) can be outstanding.

I hate to ask...where have you had these Mexican Kents?  Also, are you sure they water their lawn every day?
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
Even with no newer Zill varieties I would still not recommend a Kent.   I would much rather have the following non new Zill varieties over a Kent: Spirit of 76,  Southern Blush,  Mallika,  Cushman,  Fairchild,  Beverly,  Dupius,  Coc,  PPK,  Dot, Okrung, Mahachanok, hell, even a Zill,  to name a few in no particular order.

Never heard of the hell mango before...  :P  :D
Alexi

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »

I have never tasted a Florida grown Kent,  So I cannot compare.  all I can say if the locally grown Kents I tried from 1 grower, were superior to all the other mangoes I tried locally this year.

Over all, I can say without a doubt that most mangoes grown here ,  have been better than the previous 2 years.  I suspect its because of the drought.  fruits are sweeter, less incidence of Jellyseed if any,   even a Pascual I had last night  which is usually just a mediocre variety, that I usually only use for smoothies,  was so good, I could not stop eating it,  luckily it was over 2 lb mango so daughter got some too :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
Kents are fantastic...taste is truly subjective

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
Kents are fantastic...taste is truly subjective

+1
Michael

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »
Most of the Kents on my tree are just beginning to develop shoulders.
Michael

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »

I hate to ask...where have you had these Mexican Kents?  Also, are you sure they water their lawn every day?

That was while living in California between like 1971 and 1988.  We would buy boxes of Mexican mangos at the Central Wholesale Market.  And yeah, I'm sure the neighbor has the sprinklers going on his lawn every day--it's a beautiful lawn.  HONESTLY, ROB!
John

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »

Never heard of the hell mango before..:P  :D

Me neither....now I want 2  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk