Poll

What is your favorite Mango from this list?

Kent
Maha Chanok
Edward
Nam Doc Mai
Okrung
Glenn
Julie
Carrie
Neelam
Cushman
Dot
Spirit of 76
Fairchild
Keitt
Alphonso
Manilla
Pickering
Graham
Mallika
Cogshall
Ice Cream
Valencia Pride
Kensington Pride
Southern Blush
Bombay
Lemon Zest
Coconut Cream
Angie
PPK(Lemon Meringue)
Bizcochuelo
Imperial
Pina Colada
Baileys Marvel
Baptiste
Peggy

Author Topic: Poll on favorite Mango  (Read 12212 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on favorite Mango
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »
Whoo hoo! finally someone else who has tried the PC. The PC is tied with Lemon Zest for me. That is one heck of a rich mango. I prefer it at the chalky/creamy slightly green stage. In that stage, it tastes just like digging into a bowl of the finest flavored ice cream. Extraordinarily sweet with a nice tart and a creamy texture. Doesn't get better than that!

My current favorite is Pina Colada, but its not on the list so I voted for its parent Dot.

I was in awe after first eating the PC. Incredible flavor.

I don't find it tastes like a Pina Colada until it gets almost over-ripe. I think I'm like you though and prefer it at the slightly less ripe stage. Its been good either way though. Hoping its productive.
I find it very similar in taste to Gary and I do detect the pina colada flavor however I do not like it less ripe.  I prefer it good and yellow/gold from the exterior with the flesh just at its peak ripeness very close to the far side of ripeness where it becomes intensely sweet without that tartness (you must be careful here as if it goes too far past peak ripeness it turns mushy like a Carrie or an overripe Gary...see the trend here???).  I find if it is too far underripe it has almost a sour flavor with a chalky/pasty texture.

Damn.... Pina Colada is clearly not a mango for beginners.   I tried a couple last year that did not remind me of either pina or colada.  Guess I'll have to try them again.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »
Whoo hoo! finally someone else who has tried the PC. The PC is tied with Lemon Zest for me. That is one heck of a rich mango. I prefer it at the chalky/creamy slightly green stage. In that stage, it tastes just like digging into a bowl of the finest flavored ice cream. Extraordinarily sweet with a nice tart and a creamy texture. Doesn't get better than that!

My current favorite is Pina Colada, but its not on the list so I voted for its parent Dot.

I don't find it tastes like a Pina Colada until it gets almost over-ripe. I think I'm like you though and prefer it at the slightly less ripe stage. Its been good either way though. Hoping its productive.
I find it very similar in taste to Gary and I do detect the pina colada flavor however I do not like it less ripe.  I prefer it good and yellow/gold from the exterior with the flesh just at its peak ripeness very close to the far side of ripeness where it becomes intensely sweet without that tartness (you must be careful here as if it goes too far past peak ripeness it turns mushy like a Carrie or an overripe Gary...see the trend here???).  I find if it is too far underripe it has almost a sour flavor with a chalky/pasty texture.

Damn.... Pina Colada is clearly not a mango for beginners.   I tried a couple last year that did not remind me of either pina or colada.  Guess I'll have to try them again.

After reading Jeff's comment again I'm thinking he likes them even less ripe than I was thinking due to the mention of being 'green'. The ones I have eaten have enjoyed have all been yellow ripe, some just past 'ideal ripe'.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »
no mention of PPK? lemon meringue?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
Ok everyone, I added a few more varieties and want to keep this poll simple.  I do realize that this very simple poll will give skewed and possibly misleading information but it will give us some sense of what peoples favorites are.  There were lots of great suggestions and comments and I hope someone more enthused than I will start another and better thread or poll that will more accurately account for everyone's favorite mango.  For now, please select your one favorite mango from the list.  Thanks in advance!
Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
I think we're actually talking about the same stage of ripeness. I use green to mean under-ripe (not to mean the color of the fruit). In Spanish, one would say 'verde' (green) to mean under-ripe even though the color may be yellow, red, or otherwise. When it comes to idioms, my brain sometimes gets confused between the two languages :-).

After reading Jeff's comment again I'm thinking he likes them even less ripe than I was thinking due to the mention of being 'green'. The ones I have eaten have enjoyed have all been yellow ripe, some just past 'ideal ripe'.
Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 01:22:45 AM »
Hello everyone, with the end of the 2013 mango season in Florida and nearing the end of mango season in SoCal, I would like to see everyone's single favorite mango this season. I know it's difficult to just pick one, it's like having to pick your favorite child but just go with your gut. The more people that participate, the better. I know many members like myself have only tried several named varieties but please still vote for your favorite. Thanks in advance!
Simon

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcćo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 02:26:03 AM »
Well I am shamed to admite it but I've only tasted one mango in my life and i didn't like, it was a chewy and very fibrous, so it makes me think it was a tommy atkins but not sure since it was like 1-2 years ago
Joćo David Abreu Sousa

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 05:56:44 AM »
I would have voted to Bailey's Marvel if it was there, but instead I voted for Julie :D.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
I know it is not popular, perhaps because people don't like their ripe mangos so firm, but I adored the Baptiste mangos this year.  So much so that I planted a tree.  Since that wasn't on the list, I went with Neelam.  You can't go wrong with a perfectly ripe Neelam.  The only thing better than a perfectly ripe Neelam is 2 perfectly ripe Neelams.  If only they were bigger, they would be perfection.  Perhaps they are so great because they live up to the old adage "always leave them wanting more". 
George

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »
Hello everyone, with the end of the 2013 mango season in Florida and nearing the end of mango season in SoCal, I would like to see everyone's single favorite mango this season. I know it's difficult to just pick one, it's like having to pick your favorite child but just go with your gut. The more people that participate, the better. I know many members like myself have only tried several named varieties but please still vote for your favorite. Thanks in advance!
Simon

I was fortunate and had over 30 varieties this year and Malika won easily. Here is a list of the top 5 mangos I had this year.

Malika
Edward
Lemon Zest
Peggy
Spirit of 76

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »
I would have voted to Bailey's Marvel if it was there, but instead I voted for Julie :D.

Whoops, forgot about Baileys Marvel, I'll add that variety. I plan on zeroing this pole out every year to see what everyone's favorite are for that particular year.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »
I know it is not popular, perhaps because people don't like their ripe mangos so firm, but I adored the Baptiste mangos this year.  So much so that I planted a tree.  Since that wasn't on the list, I went with Neelam.  You can't go wrong with a perfectly ripe Neelam.  The only thing better than a perfectly ripe Neelam is 2 perfectly ripe Neelams.  If only they were bigger, they would be perfection.  Perhaps they are so great because they live up to the old adage "always leave them wanting more".

Ill add Baptiste to the list as well, thanks.
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »

Ill add Baptiste to the list as well, thanks.
Simon

Here is EM#3 an Edward seedling just as good shares the excellent qualities of his daddy but larger next to Lisa and EM#2.....add these two to your list

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Malika (this year!)

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk