Author Topic: Donkey Killer Mango Strikes Again - A Sad and Rainy Day at F & S Park  (Read 10899 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: Donkey Killer Mango Strikes Again - A Sad and Rainy Day at F & S Park
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
I visited the Fruit & Spice Park today and found some Donkey Killer on the ground to sample.  The exterior was green.  The flesh was a very faint light yellow.  It tasted a little like pineapple; except without much sweetness.  It tasted bad.  I happened to run into Chris Rollins and mentioned the Donkey Killer.  He asked how it tasted and I described the pineapple flavor.  He said when mangos have a pineapple flavor, the fruit often is not ripe yet.  So there is still some hope for Donkey Killer, although it is fading. 

The Julie tree apparently like me.  When I was looking for a Julie mango on the ground, one fell from the tree and rolled to my feet.  The Julie had a nice flavor, although I prefer less fiber.  The Rapoza mango was a big beautiful red mango, but I couldn't find any fruit on the ground to try.  I noticed Rapozo had splitting issues on the tree.

I tried a Tommy Akins for the first time; it was very attractive on the outside and tasted OK.  Kensington was also OK too. 

The Spirit of 76, Carrie, Dot were among my top picks.  However, it was hard to tell because after a few mangos, they start to taste the same.  I happened to see a tram tour in the park and asked if I could join; which they let me.  The tour included a miracle fruit / lime tasting; after that my ability to distinguish mango flavors diminished even further. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »
Went to the Fruit & Spice Park on Saturday.  There was a festival there, with lots of people, so mangos on the ground were slim pickings.  Tried about 8 varieties, Siam Pong was one of the better ones.  Tried a Mesk, but didn't like it.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:50:09 AM »
Went to the Fruit & Spice Park on Saturday.  There was a festival there, with lots of people, so mangoes on the ground were slim pickings.  Tried about 8 varieties, Siam Pong was one of the better ones.  Tried a Mesk, but didn't like it.

You sure it wasn't Sia Tong? A large, yellow, Nam Doc Mai looking mango?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
Went to the Fruit & Spice Park on Saturday.  There was a festival there, with lots of people, so mangoes on the ground were slim pickings.  Tried about 8 varieties, Siam Pong was one of the better ones.  Tried a Mesk, but didn't like it.

You sure it wasn't Sia Tong? A large, yellow, Nam Doc Mai looking mango?

Yes, that was it.
www.FLMangos.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk