Author Topic: Collecting Eugenias,have I gone too far?  (Read 11678 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting Eugenias,have I gone too far?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
Hi Mike,

That's a decent collection you have acquired. But never say never when it comes to Eugenias. You may hear about some great tasting Eugenia in the years to come that will change you mind - I have a few in mind actually. I will get back to you in few years...

Tomas

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »
I'll stay tuned Tomas. As I have said before I am a genuine student of fitting things in and finding room when needed. That is why my friends say I am a real space cadet.

Coconut I see those pots being used by people and I would rather not have a collection of trees in pots just seedlings that are being sprouted. Extra maintenance and holidays away could cause problems.I actually do have room that is allocated for a platonia, durians and some jaboticabas and can't violate those spots.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
Ok I think I'm done with planting Eugenias now. Multiples of neonitida, pyriformis x lutescens, cherry of rio, observa,E.itaguanhiensis lutescens, and pyriformis were planted in with dysenterica, cereja,matosii, E.pitanga, black uniflora and pitomba being support acts where single ones were planted. Those that missed out are E.victoriana, copacabensis, leitoni, florida, stipitata and myrcianthes which will never be part of the back yard team. I have some spares of most good ones in case of casualties or being struck by the cerrado curse and have need for reinforcements.

Most Eugenia enthusiasts will no doubt be saying it is a weak collection without E.calycina but I'll have to live without it and I should pull through ok. It must be the hardest of all to acquire.

Thanks for all the helpful advice from everyone. I would have caught with my trousers down without the advice.

You still have detective work to do...don't give up collecting yet.  There is always going to be just one more thing, that you ought to consider growing.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
Ok I think I'm done with planting Eugenias now. Multiples of neonitida, pyriformis x lutescens, cherry of rio, observa,E.itaguanhiensis lutescens, and pyriformis were planted in with dysenterica, cereja,matosii, E.pitanga, black uniflora and pitomba being support acts where single ones were planted. Those that missed out are E.victoriana, copacabensis, leitoni, florida, stipitata and myrcianthes which will never be part of the back yard team. I have some spares of most good ones in case of casualties or being struck by the cerrado curse and have need for reinforcements.

Most Eugenia enthusiasts will no doubt be saying it is a weak collection without E.calycina but I'll have to live without it and I should pull through ok. It must be the hardest of all to acquire.

Thanks for all the helpful advice from everyone. I would have caught with my trousers down without the advice.

Weak collection?  :-[ Well over 1000 species and you call that merely weak? I would call it wimpy! HAHA
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
I forgot about pitangatuba and E.candolleana that I have the most repeats of with 4 each in the ground.

If my yard was a world arboretum, yes Oscar it would be a weak effort and Saff yes there will always be another one to get.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 02:01:33 AM »
I forgot about pitangatuba and E.candolleana that I have the most repeats of with 4 each in the ground.

If my yard was a world arboretum, yes Oscar it would be a weak effort and Saff yes there will always be another one to get.

Ok, now that you added 2 more species i guess you begin to qualify in the category "mildly addicted".  ;)
Oscar

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 02:52:22 AM »

No, it's not!... you are just not looking properly.... maybe I can help you on this one.

Only yesterday I've made 300 km just to get another 3 "hard to get" eugenias sp... so now I'm the proud owner of:

Eugenia multicostata -"sapiranga", Yellow grumixama, and another one that was labelled as Eugenia velloziana «Yellow cambui" but I'm not sure yet of the correct ID as the name Eugenia velloziana should be a synonym for Eugenia crenata that is a bushy Eugenia sp. with red fruits, and this one is a taller species who is supposed to have yellow fruits... let's just wait and see what comes out of here someday...
I also brought a small "yellow fruit pitanga" but I've had another yellow pitangas on the past that ended up being just normal red ones so I won't count on this one as a novelty on my collection until it proves to be the real deal.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:02:14 AM by Miguel.pt »

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 03:22:22 AM »
Mike I am happy to buy any extras you may have, this hobby of yours can get a bit expensive, You have been so generous so far and I fell I owe you big time. but if you need to make room, I'm keen let me pay you for them and I'll give them a good home, I know your not worried about that but. 
Russell

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 03:51:26 AM »
Russell I never sell anything.

I forgot also that I have a fine yellow grumichama which I have posted pix of before and an orange fruiting pitanga I am tempted to plant. Miguel I too have covered territory in the hunt for the next 'must have' and we would all have some tales to tell of our adventures.

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 04:48:28 AM »
Hey Mike... does your "orange fruiting pitanga" is the real deal ???... I've read somewhere the fruits are very good... better than average at least... do you know if they came true from seed?

I would exchange some seeds of yours "Orange pitanga" for some Eugenia calycina seeds... My E. calycina fruiting season is about to start... please contact me privately if you're interested

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »
Miguel the seeds came from a Brazilian collector who was picking out good varieties of each species to send and he said they were good. I only have small seedlings, bearing trees. I do have E.calycina lined up for next season.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
How do eugenias do (in general--I know there are so many) in part sun (full sun until 1 or 2pm)?  Trying to map out my remaining spots.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »
Mike: congrats! that's a very good tasty collection for sure!

Miguel: I am so happy you haunted sapiranga! I was reading about it some months ago and it's very endangered species

Jeff, I dont know in general, but I know that e. repanda can fruit in much shade (at least, that's what they say and that's what did one of ours)
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »

Miguel: I am so happy you haunted sapiranga! I was reading about it some months ago and it's very endangered species

Jeff, I dont know in general, but I know that e. repanda can fruit in much shade (at least, that's what they say and that's what did one of ours)

I been looking for Eugenia multicostata for some time too, likely to bag it this year.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 06:25:58 AM »

I been looking for Eugenia multicostata for some time too, likely to bag it this year.
Hi everyone! We buy the sapirangas in a nursery from Braga: http://www.sitiodasfrutasraras.com/

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
Mike , reading that you are considering pulling the Pitomba depressed me , I have been pampering my single now over 1 meter tree and still no fruit , I had big expectations for this one .....somebody tell me they have one that is good eating ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
As an update my 75cm (2ft 6inch) black pitanga is just over a year old and has its first flower buds.It inspired me to plant my large leaf orange pitanga in the yard.My 5 inch,6 leaf Eugenia pitanga is less than a year old but I see 2 flower buds.Now these must true dwarfs if flowering begins at such a tender age and size.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »

These are the first obtained by swapping here to start flowering

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

I forgot the dark pitanga as well as the pitangatuba and E pitanga below

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »
Mike, you have a wonderful collection please don't stop until you run out of room, then of course you can start multi-grafting  ::) ;) 8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 03:13:00 AM »
Scott I have only a modest collection and I keep finding spots for new ones.I am wondering if it is worth planting out a Eugenia dysenterica considering their reputation.I also have a couple of small Eugenia longiracemosa and I have no information about them at all.I assume they are not known for fabulous fruit,are large trees and of more interest to hard core Eugenia enthusiasts.Any info from anyone.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
Scott I have only a modest collection and I keep finding spots for new ones.I am wondering if it is worth planting out a Eugenia dysenterica considering their reputation.I also have a couple of small Eugenia longiracemosa and I have no information about them at all.I assume they are not known for fabulous fruit,are large trees and of more interest to hard core Eugenia enthusiasts.Any info from anyone.

Mike- I gave the dysenterica a top score and I stand by that; honestly - taste beats every other eugenia I have put my teeth into.! Not sure on the amount of toilet paper required though
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:58:52 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
I was lucky enough to get 1 Eugenia dysenterica seed  to germinate out of four from a dodgy EBay site several months ago.
Thanks to Soren's favourable liking to them, this small seedling will now be treated like royalty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk