Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

"Jakarta" Mango

(1/5) > >>

Jacob13:
Hello Friends,

Could those of you that have a "Jakarta" Mango tree comment on the fruit, size, taste, etc.... As well as the growth habit of the tree.

I read somewhere that the flavor has "Lychee" undertones or nuances.  Any thruth?

Thanks,

Jacob

murahilin:
I never got a lychee undertone. Then again, most people disregard my taste opinions.

It is one of my favorite mangos. It is a large fruit with a strong flavor. I think Harry described it as resinous. I think it's delicious. I'll look through my folders for a pic. I might have one.

The tree isn't too big. Harry has had problems with it not setting fruit and every bloom getting hit with powdery mildew.

Squam256:
Definitely a pronouned resinous flavor to it.  Its a very attractive fruit, develops a nice orange-sunset color when exposed to sun. medium-to-large.

Gonna disagree with with murahilin a little, Jakarta trees seem to be pretty vigorous, upright growers from what I've seen. Also fairly susceptible to internal breakdown due to late-season rain.

I think the flavor would appeal to anyone who has tried and liked Bombay. I do like Jakarta though it wouldn't crack my top-tier.

murahilin:

--- Quote from: Squam256 on February 17, 2012, 09:44:24 PM ---Definitely a pronouned resinous flavor to it.  Its a very attractive fruit, develops a nice orange-sunset color when exposed to sun. medium-to-large.

Gonna disagree with with murahilin a little, Jakarta trees seem to be pretty vigorous, upright growers from what I've seen. Also fairly susceptible to internal breakdown due to late-season rain.

I think the flavor would appeal to anyone who has tried and liked Bombay. I do like Jakarta though it wouldn't crack my top-tier.

--- End quote ---

Please don't insult the wonderful Jakarta and compare it to the lowly Bombay.

The reason I said it wasn't too big is because it isn't small like pickering and not big like a VP so I figured it's in the middle. I've only seen two Jakartas in the ground so they may not be indicative of how vigorous Jakarta's are actually supposed to be.

Squam256:

--- Quote from: murahilin on February 17, 2012, 09:47:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Squam256 on February 17, 2012, 09:44:24 PM ---Definitely a pronouned resinous flavor to it.  Its a very attractive fruit, develops a nice orange-sunset color when exposed to sun. medium-to-large.

--- End quote ---

Please don't insult the wonderful Jakarta and compare it to the lowly Bombay.

The reason I said it wasn't too big is because it isn't small like pickering and not big like a VP so I figured it's in the middle. I've only seen two Jakartas in the ground so they may not be indicative of how vigorous Jakarta's are actually supposed to be.

--- End quote ---

lol,I happen to love Bombay....like it better than Jakarta even. Its resin flavor isn't quite as strong as Jakarta's, imo. I ate a ton of Bombays last year, was a pretty good crop for them across the state.

I think the thing about Jakarta that I find disappointing more than anything is its production....which is fairly mediocre for a larger-sized tree. I think its comparable to Bailey's Marvel in that regard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version