Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

tanglefoot direct application experiment

(1/7) > >>

brian:
I finally got around to doing this.  I just applied tanglefoot directly to the bark of a healthy 6ft-tall tree.  I applied it to a major limb (>1in diameter) and a small twig nearby.  I will see if there is any deterioration over time.   

If there is none... tanglefoot becomes much more useful to me.  It is a pain to put tape or some other backing for it to prevent it from touching the bark.  If it is harmless I can slap it all over.

Tlaloc:

--- Quote from: brian on February 25, 2021, 01:43:38 PM ---I finally got around to doing this.  I just applied tanglefoot directly to the bark of a healthy 6ft-tall tree.  I applied it to a major limb (>1in diameter) and a small twig nearby.  I will see if there is any deterioration over time.   

If there is none... tanglefoot becomes much more useful to me.  It is a pain to put tape or some other backing for it to prevent it from touching the bark.  If it is harmless I can slap it all over.

--- End quote ---

It will take longer to grow from the area you applied than to apply a wrapping of simple duct tape. But thats just me. I value my trees too much to do this to them, especially the productive ones.
I have to reapply to my Inga this spring. It shouldnt take more than 5 minutes. BTW, good luck with your trees.

brian:
duct tape would almost certainly constrict the trees growth if not removed after some time, it is very strong.  Even when I used painters tape I had this issue. 

poncirsguy:
Tanglefoot against citrus bark will likely cause bark rot.  Keep us informed.

brian:
Yup, this tree is expendable - I am going to dig it up soon anyway.  I wanted to see for myself just how it worked out. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version