Author Topic: Fruit fly in loquats  (Read 812 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Fruit fly in loquats
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:25:09 AM »
This year I had my first nice loquat crop and every fruit had larvae in it. My neighbors across the street had a nice crop and not one fruit was infected.

The only possible difference I observed in them is my tree is semi shaded and the neighbors tree is in full sin. Has anyone seen a correlation regarding amount of sunlight in fruitfly infestation?
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
Re: Fruit fly in loquats
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »
Nobody? Wow. Today I found ONE single fruit from my louat tree that was not infested with larvae. Such a shame it was the best loquat I have had.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:37:16 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:25:32 PM »
Have you been able to identify which kind of fruit fly it is? I assume in South FL it's the Caribbean fruit fly, not SWD or oriental, but it looks like the only solution is to bag the fruit before they ripen. I have never heard of correlations with sunny locations, maybe someone else knows more about that.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »
Have you been able to identify which kind of fruit fly it is? I assume in South FL it's the Caribbean fruit fly, not SWD or oriental, but it looks like the only solution is to bag the fruit before they ripen. I have never heard of correlations with sunny locations, maybe someone else knows more about that.

No I'm not an insectologist, but I suspect they're the same ones that made me give up and pull out all of my guava.  :-)
Regards,

Gary

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:19:29 PM »
I have a friend with a very large loquat tree , in full sun and it gets infested. It’s around a lot of other fruit trees though, which may induce cross infestation. Is your neighbors tree isolated? Maybe it’s varietal resistance. I have a ruby quava that is always larva free but other varieties get infested. The same with some of my papayas.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »
I have a friend with a very large loquat tree , in full sun and it gets infested. It’s around a lot of other fruit trees though, which may induce cross infestation. Is your neighbors tree isolated? Maybe it’s varietal resistance. I have a ruby quava that is always larva free but other varieties get infested. The same with some of my papayas.

The loquat trees are about 50 yards apart, funny my Ruby guava was the first I pulled from fruit fly. My lemon guava are next to a strawberry that had been infested and the lemon never had them.

Regards,

Gary

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »
Gary’s, they told me when I bought the ruby that this one used a different rootstock or something or other,  that helped with fruit flies, and it is resistant. I had another ruby before this that we had to alway bag, it’s a nuisance.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk