Author Topic: When to pick Mallika mango?  (Read 4486 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
When to pick Mallika mango?
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:53:40 PM »

My Mallika is loaded with fruit and I am not sure when to pick them. In the 3 years that I have had fruit on the tree, I have never gotten it quite right. I wish I did, because earlier this year, I tasted one that was good enough to compete with any of the new Zills varieties.

Mango experts, please advise.

Michael G

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: When to pick Mallika mango?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »
Let it ripen on tree!!!
Soft to touch!

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »
I recently picked all mine. They're larger than what I thought (see pics) and definitely mature green. This is the first year that my tree set fruits, so I only have a few of them and I don't want the squirrels to eat them. Next year I'll let some of them ripen on the tree to compare the flavor. Can you post some pictures of yours?

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
In the first picture are nine Mallika mangoes that I picked green with a slight shade of yellow, I then wrapped them in paper bags, placed them in a basket and set them on a shelve in a closet for 10 days. I probably should have checked them before the 10 days as a few were ready a few days before.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
In the first picture are nine Mallika mangoes that I picked green with a slight shade of yellow, I then wrapped them in paper bags, placed them in a basket and set them on a shelve in a closet for 10 days. I probably should have checked them before the 10 days as a few were ready a few days before.

What was the taste like? Was there any off-taste? 

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 12:28:16 AM »
I just tasted one of them for the first time and it was beyond my expectation. Wow, what a great mango, is all I can say. It's very juicy, but has a compact, fiber-less flesh. It's very sweet, but has a complex spectrum of flavors that I cannot describe since I'm not a mango expert.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:25:12 AM »
When my Mallikas start to show some yellow, I start testing them on the tree. Lift the mango slightly bending the stem. If it is ready, it will pop off in your hand. With Mallika, they will probably need a few more days in a warm spot after that. If you eat them before they turn completely yellow, when they still have a hint of green, you should get a flavor that is a mix of melon and tangerine sherbet. Most of the ones I've tried from anywhere but my own tree have been a bit too ripe. They are still good, but they lose that tangerine sherbet quality that I really like. Despite previous claims that you can pick them green and let them ripen for weeks, I've found if picked too soon, they have a bit of a vegetable taste when ripened.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
One minute video will tell you what you need to know 
Dr. Jonathan Crane UF/IFAS/TREC describes 'Maillika' mango from the TREC Mango Collection in Homestead, FL 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rl4okh0AfQ
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:01:32 PM by zands »

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
It is tough to tell when to pick.  I usually harvest mine in early July.  They are better when picked at the right time.  It can be an excellent fruit.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
I like to pick them when they just start to show a tiny bit of yellow.  Then I table ripen them until they show only a tiny bit of green.  PHENOMENAL!!!!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
Some Mallika picked to day had absolutely no sap flow when picked. Now you don't know the result till you do the deed but has anyone found that result to be indicitive of ripeness?

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
Best ones I've had were ripe off the tree.
Quentin

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »
Some Mallika picked to day had absolutely no sap flow when picked. Now you don't know the result till you do the deed but has anyone found that result to be indicitive of ripeness?

Ripeness on the tree yes but the key if picking green is mature green where the fruit is not necessarily tree ripe but at a stage that will optimally ripen off the tree.

I have had many Mallika picked at all stages over the years, from mature green to dead ripe yellow on the tree.  The fruit picked at a mature green stage just prior to showing yellow to fruit just showing a hint of color change bave been the stages that the flavors shine the strongest...an intense creamsicle custard mixed with sweet cantaloupe.

Picked too early of a green, it can be from a wrinkled textured of unripe mango to a sweet mango with vegetal nuances.  Picked tree ripe/mostly to fully yellow, its orangey sweet with a nuance of honeyed carrots and strong musk.
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 09:51:44 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Mallika can't just be picked "ripe green" and ripened on the kitchen counter like a lot of other varieties.  I can see where newspaper or dromedary dung might ripen them faster, but is it really essential for proper ripening? The Mallika's I got from  Alex last year were 9+, but it's not a Mango for wimps.  It's a strong flavored mango lovers mango.  Like a Carrie on steroids.   

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:53:25 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Mallika can't just be picked "ripe green" and ripened on the kitchen counter like a lot of other varieties.  I can see where newspaper or dromedary dung might ripen them faster, but is it really essential for proper ripening? The Mallika's I got from  Alex last year were 9+, but it's not a Mango for wimps.  It's a strong flavored mango lovers mango.  Like a Carrie on steroids.   

I agree 100%.  I tasted only a couple of them at the perfect stage. Most of them went to garbage after a bite.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 10:14:20 PM »
Is the problem with Mallika primarily inconsistency with the variety or human error?  If you pick Mallika a couple 2-3 weeks early & ripen them in the recommended fashion will most taste as they should? I wonder if a lot of the people who have had bad luck with Mallika are picking them green enough.  I doubt if most people are actually picking them 2-3 weeks early as recommended. 
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.