Author Topic: What fruit do you hate the most?  (Read 18194 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: What fruit do you hate the most?
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
I love most fruits but there are some bad ones out there. Surinam Cherry is at the top of my bad fruit list. Nance is also nasty in my opinion.

I also have a boring fruit list, that is fruits that while not bad, bore me to death!
These are:
Apples
Pears
Cantaloupe
Banana

I would totally disagree with Pancrazio as loquats are at the top of my list, even the bad ones.

Jaime

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
I know some people hate the word "hate", so:  What fruit do you like the least or dislike the most?

I think that among fruits that don't physically hurt my mouth, I dislike velvet apple (Diospyros blancoi) the most.

My wife hates ripe papayas (though she likes to cook them unripe).

Here we go again , another one that doesn't like Mabolo , all the Mexicans who tasted my fruits loved it , I planted all the seeds and as soon as they came up people were at the door to buy them ...HA...

Also my Eugenia uniflora are really good . Must be my soil ....lol

I really did not like the Eugenia myrcianthes , giving it one more fruiting to see if it improves ..or the axe..

Over the years I removed several that I didn't like : Orange berry , Trifasia trifolia , Blackberry jam fruit and some more minor astringent fruits .

Another that is on my black list is Eugenia neonitida , I kept it because it is such a pretty bush and cute fruit...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Another fruit on the hate list for me would be Dwarf Hog Plum. I dont find them edible at all. The Ultra Dwarf Hog Plum is a very different story - the fruit are big and delicious. Full sized ambarella is not bad. For some strange reason I find the regular dwarf disgusting.

what's the difference in taste?

never heard of ultra dwarf?

thanks for posting!!

I really wonder what's the difference?

I've only eaten them from Mike's tree, so I hope he doesnt mind me mentioning it. I was apprehensive because all of the dwarves I've eaten (Im a monster) have been terrible. When I munched into his 'ultra dwarf' it was a bit crunchy (little under ripe) but still had a great sweet - tart balance and a good pinapple flavour. There were subtle hints of other things (feijoa, a little nuttiness) that all contributed to an outstanding flavour, even though they were a bit under ripe and still had a way to go to full flavour in Mike's estimation. The otehr big difference is that many dwarf hog plums here are small fruited. The UD is at least 50% bigger than the others. His was roughly everbearing if I recall correctly, but thats probably symptomatic of it growing in Cairns.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
BMc,

How long from seed to fruit??
the utra dwarf sounds like a real winner!!

I wonder if its true to seed?

I heard the seeds don't usually sprout that well?

thanks for the great info! 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
Unfortunately my 2 regular size ambarella died , the dwarf ( never heard of an ' ultra dwarf ' ) produces almost year round . I like the fruit when it is still a little crunchy and starting to yellow so you can peel it , for me : I wouldn't think of removing it .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »
i eat the leaves as well! they are amazing..with miracle fruit...like mango spinach.

but back to the subject of what we hate!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
Unfortunately my 2 regular size ambarella died , the dwarf ( never heard of an ' ultra dwarf ' ) produces almost year round . I like the fruit when it is still a little crunchy and starting to yellow so you can peel it , for me : I wouldn't think of removing it .

Not a fan at all of the ambarella. I had a dwarf and the fruit flavor was rather bland. Yanked it and put a peach in its place.

Jaime

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 01:05:13 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only weirdo here who eats ambarella leaves.

Adam -  what's wrong with the taste of it without miracle fruits?  I like it that sour ;D
Tim

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »

Over the years I removed several that I didn't like : Orange berry , Trifasia trifolia , Blackberry jam fruit and some more minor astringent fruits .

Another that is on my black list is Eugenia neonitida , I kept it because it is such a pretty bush and cute fruit...

I have been so excited about Blackberry jam fruit ever since I saw a nice photo of it.  I guess I will have to lower my expectations.
I think trifasia trifolia is just for hedges and children to steal at your property edge.  They're not for you to eat.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:37 AM »
Nance is also nasty in my opinion.

I hated nance the first time I ate it, then disliked it for 2 years eating them reluctantly on and off.  Then suddenly I started to love them and for 2 years after leaving nance country, I was hungry for them.   I consider them to be a perfect tree fairly close one's home in a humid environment where you need air moving, as cutting off the lower limbs does not reduce your yield and it makes picking them up easier.

mrradtech

• Lakewood, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »
I hate white-fleshed dragon fruit. Taste like unripen melon without any flavor. But I like magenta flesh dragon fruit, it's very sweet. The taste are world apart between the two flesh color fruit.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »

How long from seed to fruit??
2-3 years, at under 1 ft. Flowering at 9 months from seed.

I wonder if its true to seed?
Quite.

I heard the seeds don't usually sprout that well?
I've not heard of that being a problem

great for pots.  ;)

digigarden

• digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:11 AM »
it seems i'm the only person that actually likes noni and genip out of hand :P
i find it "cleansing"...

the pitanga i tried tasted really good so idk what everyone is saying.

barbados cherry is used to make juice and you are not supposed to eat it like that  :P

how can you not like loquat,pears or melons  ??? ?  dragon fruit?? i almost had an orgasm when i first tasted dragon fruit.

the fruit that didn't really impress me too much was abiu but i still eat it.

now the worst fruit ever is probably mocambo

digigarden

• digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
the elephant apple"d.indica" is barely edible as well  ;D

maybe i ate it the wrong way  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:50:30 AM by digigarden »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »

It seems most people taste something horrible when they eat surinam cherry.  I think it's a genetic thing (just like how a sizeable fraction of people can't stand cilantro and taste something soapy/astringent with it) but it seems (unlike with cilantro) there are more people who dislike surinam cherry than like it.  There are also various groups, some dislike all surinam cherries, some dislike only the "more astringent"...  I'm one of those lucky people who is almost total immune to whatever chemical bothers people in surinam cherry.

Many people cannot eat broccoli. But if you drop them off on an island where only cilantro and broccoli grow (give them a Coleman stove too) they'll be eating both and loving it in short order. They'll be dreaming up new recipes in their sleep. And if that island is abundant with Surinam cherries. They'll be eating them too by the bushel load. Matter of fact some sour Surinam's would bring out broccoli flavor same as lemon does. Give me some cooking oil and I'm all set, I can get salt from the ocean.

My friend has the black Surinam cherry but the red one is very common hedge material in South East Florida. I see it outside a supermarket, a BBQ place, a condominium complex just for starters. The black Surinam cherry has a more pleasingly edible reputation but if people gave the more common red a chance they would like it more. But one has to make the effort to look for softer, darker red ones which means riper. These ones are sweet 90% of the time. With zero or little astringent to it
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:27:19 AM by zands »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
I have tasted noni, both hard or soft, really bad.  Recently I described a noni in my hand as smelling like really rank cheese, and the lady I was talking too said, "I really LOVE smelly cheeses."  Sure enough, she ate that noni, and said, "I don't find anything objectionable about it."

Some of the Asimina species in Florida are bad tasting.

The worst fruit that is claimed to be edible, which I have tried several times, is that of the Climbing Ylang-Ylang, Artabotrys odoratissima--- incredibly bitter.
The genus name means "Tree of Bread", and it is included in lists of edible fruits.  Maybe after soaking in salt brine for a year, then sun drying, then grinding into a powder....?

PS:  The fruit of the true Ylang-Ylang IS edible, when it is fully ripe and wrinkled like a raisin.
Har

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
99% of surinam cherries. I can stand the black ones, but the rest I spit out quicker than the speed of light. Acerola is not far behind. Other than that there is one non astringent persimmon that I dislike as its bland when firm and when left to soften (which is when persimmons should be eaten!) tastes like a mouthful of chalk x glue.

Many are sweet. The darker red ones tend to be the best. I like them. Over-ripe is best on them. The bright red very firm ones are sour which I avoid

It seems most people taste something horrible when they eat surinam cherry.  I think it's a genetic thing (just like how a sizeable fraction of people can't stand cilantro and taste something soapy/astringent with it) but it seems (unlike with cilantro) there are more people who dislike surinam cherry than like it.  There are also various groups, some dislike all surinam cherries, some dislike only the "more astringent"...  I'm one of those lucky people who is almost total immune to whatever chemical bothers people in surinam cherry.

We seem to only have the orange and bright reds here, with a few blacks and dark reds in a few collections. If it is genetic or a chemical then it is unselective, as no one eats the fruit here, and it is not found in any of its relatives. I love cedar bay cerry, but cant stand uniflora. Many truly taste like a mouthful of mineral turpentine mixed with decking resin. I like and often eat the 'punch in the face' sour fruits, but this is not sour - something else completely. If you ever come to Oz I'll be happy to give you a tour of the neighbourhood low lights.  :D

I have eaten Noni aka Starvation Fruit. There are nice trees in Darwin that seem to be the native type. I wouldnt reccommend them to anyone, nor would I go out of my way to eat it again. They are like a blue cheese crossed with clag paste. To be honest, my first experience with Durian was more unpleasant, but that was a terrible Durian. A bad Durian would probably top my worst food list. Conversely a great Durian would just about top my best foods list.

I've enjoyed a number of E. uniflora fruits, my wife (however) finds the vast majority of them unpalatable.
I'm pretty sure it is a genetic thing as people who don't like it describe it as having a horrible flavor which I never taste.
A local conservatory has a few trees and they find most people try the fruit and discard it partially eaten, I can eat the whole fruits (from the same shrub) and find them enjoyable....  There are plenty of stories along these lines which leads me to belive it is genetic variations in the taste buds.  It is similar to how some people (myself included) can't stand grapefruit.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
tabbydan,

Amla is grown to be used in Ayurvedic preparations. Usually dried and grounded to powder. It is never meant to be eaten fresh. Knowing how horrific those medicines taste where Amla is major ingredient, I passed on my chance to taste fresh Amla  :)

ps. I'm with you on bananas. To me it is almost starvation food. Only when hungry, and nothing else is around :) However, one banana variety I'm dying to taste. Borneo hairy banana. Suppose to taste like mix of banana and kiwi, and the flesh is juicy! Anyone had it?

The one and only time I ate amala I was at an Indian grocer in Toronto.  The guy who sold them said he ate around 5 fresh ones each day (he had several in his pocket ready to go)!  Some people do actually eat it fresh (and if you want the full phytochemical benifits you should eat it raw as the vitamin C content will rapidly decrease with time and processing) as incredibly disgusting as that seems.  The kicker is I actually like its close relative P. acidus (which most people don't seem to care for).  While amala might be a very healthy fruit I think I get all the phytochemicals in it from other sources which are (quite thankfully) not hideously disgusting.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »

I can't eat a raw amla, but I adore it as a pickle (particularly the brand in the photo) spread on toasted whole wheat bread under sliced tomato with a little cheddar.  In the pickled form, the fruit becomes soft enough that with a little effort, you can almost spread it like miso.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »
I used to hate avocadoes when I was little. I remember expecting it to be sweet like mango or mamey when I was little before having my first piece of avocado. I was very disappointed with the taste. To me it was bland and tasteless. lol  As I grew up, I developed a taste for them, especially after I add a pinch of salt.  ;D My favorite are the nutty flavored ones like hass, but I like high quality florida avocadoes too. The fruits that I still don't like are Pears. To me, it tastes like sand.  :P
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:13:45 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »
I used to hate avocadoes when I was little. I remember expecting it to be sweet like mango or mamey when I was little before having my first piece of avocado. I was very disappointed with the taste. To me it was bland and tasteless. lol  As I grew up, I developed a taste for them, especially after I add a pinch of salt.  ;D My favorite are the nutty flavored ones like hass, but I like high quality florida avocadoes too. The fruits that I still don't like are Pears. To me, it tastes like sand.  :P

I actually had a post regarding avocados here, but my IP went dead at the minute i was going to post it,   anyway,  Avocado is the fruit I have not learned to like, and the weird thing is,  I WANT, to like them.   I find them bland, and not too fond of the texture.   I do not "hate" them, its the just do nothing for my, I will eat a couple bites, when offered one to try, and its like,  ok, yeah.  so so.

I just got an Oro Negro, hopefully maybe this one will change me, people describe it as having a nutty flavor.  If i do not care for it , it will not be a loss, everyone else loves avocado in my family, from my wife to the kids, even the 1 year old . so it would be good to have a "top tier" variety here in the tropics. such a healthy fruit.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
The fruits that I still don't like are Pears. To me, it tastes like sand.  :P

Ok... we can all like or dislike the fruits as we please (I like ambarela but I can understand that they aren't for everyone, for those who do like them you might want to check out the pitless varieties... in Malaysia they pretty much just grow those); but pears taste like sand???  I'm really going to have to check out the sand in Florida next time I'm there. ;)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »

Ok... we can all like or dislike the fruits as we please (I like ambarela but I can understand that they aren't for everyone, for those who do like them you might want to check out the pitless varieties... in Malaysia they pretty much just grow those); but pears taste like sand???  I'm really going to have to check out the sand in Florida next time I'm there. ;)

I was never a big fan of pears either.  While the flesh can have some sandy qualities is some poorer varieties that are store bought, my mind was changed forever when someone got me some Harry and David Royal Riviera Pears.  Alexi, check these out.  Order them for your self from the internet.....get the box of what they call Maverick pears (they are the Royal Riviera which are not perfect cosmetically but still taste absolutely wonderfull but are less costly).  I am sure that there are many other pears that are also excellent, but if after trying these you still think that all pears taste like sand, I will be over your house to dig up some of the sand to which you are referring to enjoy.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »
How about guava? I had a "Barbie Pink" guava and the fruit smelled almost exactly like cat pee. I put them in my fridge, in a sealed ziplock bag, and the next day my whole fridge smelled like cat pee. Lovely. That planted got hoiked!
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »

I was never a big fan of pears either.  While the flesh can have some sandy qualities is some poorer varieties that are store bought, my mind was changed forever when someone got me some Harry and David Royal Riviera Pears.  Alexi, check these out.  Order them for your self from the internet.....get the box of what they call Maverick pears (they are the Royal Riviera which are not perfect cosmetically but still taste absolutely wonderfull but are less costly).  I am sure that there are many other pears that are also excellent, but if after trying these you still think that all pears taste like sand, I will be over your house to dig up some of the sand to which you are referring to enjoy.

lol  ;D  Thanks for the heads-up Harry.  I'll look them up.  :)
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk