Author Topic: Selling 8 years old Luc’s Mexican Mangosteens  (Read 2189 times)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Selling 8 years old Luc’s Mexican Mangosteens
« on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:04 PM »
I have 3 Luc’s for sale , 8 years old and well branching .
Can ship . $250, $300, and $350 depending on the size .

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Selling 8 years old Luc’s Mexican Mangosteens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 11:13:55 PM »
Can you explain why they are eight years old and so small? I just can’t see why you are charging such a price for plants that seem stunted?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 12:09:49 AM »
Thanks. Garcinia here push 4 leaves a year, 2 growth flushes of 2 leaves each time.
Year 1: 4 leaves
Year 2 : 8 leaves
Year 3: 12 leaves
Year 4 : 16 leaves
Year 5 Forward : maybe branching starts and then each flush is 4 leaves so now 8 leaves a year.

Stunted? They are Garcinia’s in pots growing in Northern California.
List of other Garcinia’s that can be kept alive here : Imbe, Madruno.

Such a price? Who else sell’s Luc’s that are not seedling’s ? Please provide a price comparison from others selling branching Luc’s.

Nursery prices are more expensive in California than elsewhere. Especially for plants you can’t find elsewhere . For example: I heard Rollinia’s in a 25 gallon pot were $2,000 at an LA nursery.
Now that is crazy pricing for a common, much quicker growing species.
Some people are looking for the advantage of shaving 5+ years off the time to fruit or growing a rare fruit tree unavailable elsewhere. $250 -$350 is a relative and subjective small price to pay.
Do you put value in what you do to make a living?
Lots of professions make $200-$400 an hour here for BS while skilled farming is always undervalued.

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 04:42:48 AM »
Yeah, here in CA that’s pretty much the entry level price for a plant of that age. For a plant that rare, that’s a pretty good deal.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
hard laborer like farming is something anyone can do.  Not everyone can write codes(I'm talking about good coder, not kiddy coder) , or is a brain surgeon. Those takes real skills and talents. Hence they get pay $$$$$ for their skills. 

@ Andreas,
luc Garciana are very easy to grow from seeds. I"m in SF bay area zone10A, threw them into a pot outdoor , and they will grow like weeds. If you have greenhouse, they grow faster in greenhouse.   Mine will be 4yrs and a few of them in the greenhouse have several branches already.

Some people are out their to take advantage of addictive hobbyist , be it in this site or others. I suggest you ping Luc or Raulglezruiz for seeds.  10/10 seeds germinated for me. I am thinking of buy some more from Luc or Raul.  Luc &  Raulglezruiz, JF, & achetadomestica are the guys I deal so far Their prices are cheaper than most and quality is good too. They make it affordable for us to enjoy this hobby.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »
Another fight over plant prices. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 04:34:54 PM »
They were being sold on eBay for almost half the price and between 24-36 inches...
Also aren’t you growing them in a greenhouse? It’s not like they are growing outside. I have one growing in a pot in 9a what’s your point in that your climate is not good for them?
Also, I picked up a branching one for $45 @ 3 feet tall. I’m not saying everything you have is priced high. Just these specific plants.
Maybe it’s the barriers to growing in California. I was just trying to justify those prices.

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »
hard laborer like farming is something anyone can do.  Not everyone can write codes(I'm talking about good coder, not kiddy coder) , or is a brain surgeon. Those takes real skills and talents. Hence they get pay $$$$$ for their skills. 

@ Andreas,
luc Garciana are very easy to grow from seeds. I"m in SF bay area zone10A, threw them into a pot outdoor , and they will grow like weeds. If you have greenhouse, they grow faster in greenhouse.   Mine will be 4yrs and a few of them in the greenhouse have several branches already.

Some people are out their to take advantage of addictive hobbyist , be it in this site or others. I suggest you ping Luc or Raulglezruiz for seeds.  10/10 seeds germinated for me. I am thinking of buy some more from Luc or Raul.  Luc &  Raulglezruiz, JF, & achetadomestica are the guys I deal so far Their prices are cheaper than most and quality is good too. They make it affordable for us to enjoy this hobby.

Why are you assuming or rather, implying, that not anyone can write code? Or with eventual schooling, become a brain surgeon? Neither of those things require extraordinary skills..hint, most things don't.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4485966-talent-is-overrated

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 04:28:12 PM »
Yeah, here in CA that’s pretty much the entry level price for a plant of that age. For a plant that rare, that’s a pretty good deal.

Agreed.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 10:19:47 PM »
Correct, most things don't require skills like fixing plumbing or figuring out electrical issues and fixing it. And farming or growing plants is not either. Farming relies on weather.
However, not everyone can take information and process it . Does everyone in the same class understands linear equations or how data structure are used?  why are there A's & F's students?

@ Andreas,

Why are you assuming or rather, implying, that not anyone can write code? Or with eventual schooling, become a brain surgeon? Neither of those things require extraordinary skills..hint, most things don't.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:22:09 PM by knlim000 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »
Correct, most things don't require skills like fixing plumbing or figuring out electrical issues and fixing it. And farming or growing plants is not either. Farming relies on weather.
However, not everyone can take information and process it . Does everyone in the same class understands linear equations or how data structure are used?  why are there A's & F's students?

@ Andreas,

Please stop polluting and hijacking threads.
- Rob

vstolbi

• East Coast US borderline 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
These look healthy from the pictures. Bush2beach seems to be a trustworthy seller too!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 08:26:44 PM »
The price is fair. Look after a plant for 8 years and call us back, you may value your time and love differently afterwards. Bush2Beach is a top tier seller and collector.

I would for sure rather have any plant from a TFF seller vs eBay.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 01:19:54 AM »
Busch2Beach is definitely a top notch grower and seller.