Author Topic: Mangosteen some big fruits, but we have bigger  (Read 10006 times)

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
Mangosteen some big fruits, but we have bigger
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »
Some big fruits I bought in local market today, It have bigger fruits, around 250 grams or more, I think will have fruits around 300 grams
Today I found fruits around 200 grams, the bigger of today is 220 grams, only 5 fruits more than 1 kilo,
Taste : super sweet, very good, the best magosteen in Brazil, only one seed per fruit, or without seed
In Brazil the usually mangosteen is  expensive, these bigger is very expensive

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangosteen some big fruits, but we have bigger
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
WOW!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
Ricardo the standard or common mangosteen only has one fruit in every few thousand that gets over 200g around here and the same would be true in thailand so those are special fruit.The borneo giant with the different shape gets over 200g all the time but not 300g.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
Some big fruits I bought in local market today, It have bigger fruits, around 250 grams or more, I think will have fruits around 300 grams
Today I found fruits around 200 grams, the bigger of today is 220 grams, only 5 fruits more than 1 kilo,
Taste : super sweet, very good, the best magosteen in Brazil, only one seed per fruit, or without seed

Ricardo are these grown by Japanese Farmers for the Sao Paulo Market?  Do you happen to know which entity down there develop this strain or its origin?  Can you define expensive? Are these fruit five time the normal price? And are the normal mangosteen a premium to other fruit or about the same as price off let say an apple or mango?😀
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:39:16 PM »
Ricardo the standard or common mangosteen only has one fruit in every few thousand that gets over 200g around here and the same would be true in thailand so those are special fruit.The borneo giant with the different shape gets over 200g all the time but not 300g.

Mike, I dont know if really have fruits with 300 grams, but I am sure have fruits with  average weight 250 grams , I can say that because mangosteen is sold in small box with 1,5 kilos,
When I arrived in the market today had only the type 7, this mean 7 fruits in the box with 1,5 kilo, also arrive in the market the type 5 and 6, these mean 5 or 6 fruits in a box with 1,5 kilo
But we have the type 8, 9, 10 ,12, 14, 16, 18 and 20, these mean 8,9,10 fruits..... in a box with 1,5 kilo

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:53:14 PM »

Ricardo are these grown by Japanese Farmers for the Sao Paulo Market?  Do you happen to know which entity down there develop this strain or its origin?  Can you define expensive? Are these fruit five time the normal price? And are the normal mangosteen a premium to other fruit or about the same as price off let say an apple or mango?😀

These mangosteen are from the State of Bahia in Brazil
In Brazil we have two big region with mangosteen plantation, Bahia and Pará, in Sao Paulo have only a small plantation in fruiting, and I have around 800 trees not bearing fruit yet,
These big mangosteen always arrive from the plantation Bahia,
In Brazil mangosteen are sold in small boxes with 1,5 kilos in the wholesale market, in these boxes the fruits is separated by size, so , we have :
- type 5 = 5 fruits in a box with 1,5 kilo
- type 6 = 6 fruits in a box with 1,5 kilo
- type 7 = 7 fruits in a box with 1,5 kilo
- type 8 = 8 fruits in a box with 1,5 kilo
- type 9 = 9 fruits in a box with 1,5 kilo
and so on until type 20

We are in the big season from Bahia, so Today the price are:
- type 6, 7 and 8 around 20USD
- type 9 to 12 around 16USD
- type 14 to 16 around 12USD
- type 17 to 20 around 10USD

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
Ricardo that is a lot of mangosteen trees you have.If they are fertilized and watered well they will fruit faster.You need to get  them to 2.5m tall as fast as possible.
Second rate mangosteens in the supermarket (mall) today were $5/kg australian so about $US 4/kg.My large leafed borneo tree has fruit right now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »
Ricardo that is a lot of mangosteen trees you have.If they are fertilized and watered well they will fruit faster.You need to get  them to 2.5m tall as fast as possible.
Second rate mangosteens in the supermarket (mall) today were $5/kg australian so about $US 4/kg.My large leafed borneo tree has fruit right now.

Ricardo, that is very good advice Mike is giving you. Fertilized trees will fruit twice as fast. Good if you can give them regular foliar feed also. Just let me know when they start fruiting and i will suddenly come visit you. HAHA
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:17 AM »
Oscar a few of us might drop by for a visit.If the first tree opens it's account at 5 to 6 years and the majority kick in at 8 to 10 then reasonable production could be at 12 to 14 years of age for the trees.It is a long time to wait.
A big hurdle is getting them all to a sun hardened stage.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:09:32 AM »
Oscar a few of us might drop by for a visit.If the first tree opens it's account at 5 to 6 years and the majority kick in at 8 to 10 then reasonable production could be at 12 to 14 years of age for the trees.It is a long time to wait.

Ricardo is still a young boy, so no problem!  8)
Oscar

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »

Mike,

I never put fertilizer in my mangosteen trees, My older tree planted in soil have 6 years and the younger have 3 years, and I planted more some mangosteen tree this year
I made all my tree by seeds I had bought fruits from the market from Pará and Bahia, so I think I have several types mixed
I have several tree more than 3 meters tall in full sun
Do you know which fertilizer I can use?
The picture is one tree with 6 year in january this year, the ugly guy in the picture is not me :)

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 08:39:58 AM »

Mike,

The borneo tree is  that  big fruit elongated ? if is, in Brazil dont have this type

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »

Ricardo, that is very good advice Mike is giving you. Fertilized trees will fruit twice as fast. Good if you can give them regular foliar feed also. Just let me know when they start fruiting and i will suddenly come visit you. HAHA

Oscar,

Do you know which fertilizer I will put in the trees ? ( quantities, times in a year, ...)
You know you are welcome, I am waiting your visit after I fertilized the trees hehehehe

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »

Ricardo is still a young boy, so no problem!  8)

not so young hehhehehe  42 kilometers run hehhehehehehehhehe, but still mental young boy heheheheh

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »
New big fruits today, but Mike you are right, no have fruit more than 230 grams

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 06:23:57 PM »
Those fruit are whoppers Ricardo.The common and masta mangosteen taste best.That tree is very big for 6 years and many smaller trees start fruiting but are a year or two older.I do have a 1.5m tree just over 5 years in the ground that had its first fruit this year but this is very unusual for a tree so young and small.Your trees that are 6 still could take 2 more years and then quickly increase yields after that.
Mangosteen responds well to all organic fertilizers and mulch and as they get older reducing N compared to P and especially K will give bigger crops of better fruit.  10:10:10 NPK or another with even numbers lightly spread would be great in spring and summer but not before winter.They do better when allowed to be dormant in winter so reduce water and give them a bit of stress then. Micronutrients are complicated and if you have basalt derived soil or alluvial soil then most are there already.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
Oh yeah mangosteen like magnesium but go light on dolomite and Zinc is also something they enjoy but spreading too much can cause iron imbalance.It sounds like too much work but a big crop can pay for extra effort.

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 07:32:59 PM »
 :o Wow, and I thought mangosteen were always smallish fruits.  What a great tree to have.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »
Oh yeah mangosteen like magnesium but go light on dolomite and Zinc is also something they enjoy but spreading too much can cause iron imbalance.It sounds like too much work but a big crop can pay for extra effort.

Mike

Thank you very much for the explanation,
Now we are 2 months before winter, I will use the 10:10:10 after the winter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »
The southern hemisphere here too Ricardo so 31c to 24c every day as I head towards winter. It should be more like 29c  to 21c but it has stayed a few degrees warmer than normal for months.I should have had 1600mm of rain since Jan 1 2015 but have only had 1100mm of rain after a dry and hot 2014.
As I said a little bit of stress for mangosteen trees can induce better fruiting and flowering and allow 2 crops.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 11:36:58 PM »
baseball sized mangosteen's in davao

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »
Wow that is big Ben and could be over 200g.100g is closer to average even in good conditions.If must be that rich volcanic soil.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »
Mike, how much stress is too much stress? How long juvenile and adult mangosteens  can go without water? Cannot find answer to this one.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 01:36:04 AM »
There are so many variables Rytis, that you can't put a time on it and I only water my larger a few times lightly in the dry season.It has to do with mulch,soil type,groundwater,temperatures and humidifier, wind and how saturated the soil was before.When leaves drop and tips wither then get water on them fast.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 02:03:35 AM »
800 trees......nice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk