Author Topic: Butterflies...  (Read 6132 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Butterflies...
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
This is the first time I've found one on my citrus.  No visible damage.. yet.   I was planning on getting rid of this tree anyway.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »
I do not know what it is....have not seen one...

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
Almost identical to Papilio machaon caterpillar (many good memories breeding this common European species). Therefore probably in the same genus (or in the same species) and most probably will turn into a big and beautifuly butterly.

P. machaon does not eat citrus, but can feed on other Rutaceae if its main nutritious plant (Foeniculum) is unavailable
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:14:46 PM by pvaldes »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
It is good that he does not eat citrus....If he wants to pupate that would be OK....but do not eat my hard work.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
Squish it!

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »
No need to kill it. This caterpillar is clearly different from the Citrus eating species of Papilio. Definitely neither cresphontes nor thoas or aegeus fit. I did some research and it seems that European swallowtail is present in all Northern Hemisphere including also USA, therefore: Papilio machaon.

In America will feed on some wild Asteraceae (Petasites, Artemisia) and Apiaceae, and can eat also Ruta. No problem with any of those (Here are my free poisonous Hogweed, take all you can eat, thanks).

You can put it in a quiet box with some branches to pupate and wait.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:15:47 PM by pvaldes »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »
I believe it is “Papilio polyxenes, the black swallowtail, American swallowtail or parsnip swallowtail, is a butterfly found throughout much of North America. “

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
The little black beetle on the bottom right is an immature spotted lanternfly, part if an outbreak in my area of pennsylvania that became newsworthy last year.  They suck tree sap.  No idea if they will attack my citrus or stone fruit trees.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »
Is a very good candidate also...

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 05:49:12 AM »
Brian, despite making a number of online searches, I haven't been able to determine that Citrus is a host of SLF. As I also reside in the affected area, I have been keeping a close eye on the nymphs this spring. To this point, although there are incidental SLFs on the Citrus, I am uncertain that they're feeding on Citrus.
Pecan, nightshade, apple, grapes, and especially tree of heaven are magnets for SLF.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:22 AM »
Thanks, kumin.   I have seen japanese beetles crawling around on my citrus also but no leaf damage.  I think insects are inspecting them but deciding against eating them because they are foreign.  The deer never touched my citrus either despite eating everything else nearby.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »
Spotted Lanternfly in feeding location on stem, but in resting posture. This is likely the last black/white coloration, the next instar should be red/white spotted.
This one is perched on a citrange. Hopefully they don't have an affinity for Citrus. The early nymph stages are less discerning as to plant host, with the later stages becoming increasingly selective. The infested area is increasing each year, autumn migration preceding egg-laying being one mode of spreading, along with egg masses getting hitchhike rides on vehicles over winter. The females lay eggs on any materials, not only trees.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:30:55 AM by kumin »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »
So far I haven't noticed the lanternflies eating my citrus (nor anything else except scale).  Hope it stays that way.  I could net my greenhouse if I need to but I'd rather not.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
Just squished the first lubber of the season... Grasshopper from hell!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:40:18 PM by Laaz »

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »
The Spotted Lanternfly are already entering the 4th instar red nymph stage. The next stage is flying adults. The first local adults arrived in October, 2018. At this point they appear unstoppable.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:58:05 PM by kumin »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2019, 05:46:23 PM »
I've never seen one of those down here.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2019, 05:53:48 PM »
Nor have I.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »
These are pretty much unique to southeastern pennsylvania for now.  Give it time, though, they will likely spread.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
SLF has been found in Winchester, VA northwest of Washington D.C. which is southwest of the initial discovery site in PA.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:59:23 PM by kumin »

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2019, 02:17:59 PM »
The Spotted Lanternfly is apparently not able to suck plant sap forcefully. It selects a position on the stem at a certain distance from the growing tip. It then pierces the epidermis in the location where the stem is under positive sap pressure allowing the insect to freely drink the sap. Under heavy feeding the end of the stem will show wilting do to loss of turgor.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:39:27 AM by kumin »

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »
Lol, seriously having that much issue with Giant Swallowtail caterpillars? 

I purposefully plant Hercules club and wild lime to attract them.  I have only a couple small citrus, have yet to see them on the citrus, but if I did, would probably just move em over to the Hercules club.

They’re a mighty awesome butterfly, can mistake one for a bird at first glance they’re so big.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »
I like butterflies, both in adult and leaf-munching immature forms. I have gulf fritillary caterpillars eating away on both my native Maypops out in the yard and my Lilikoi in a pot. If they get to be a problem on the latter, I will move them to the former. But I am not terribly bothered by a few leaves being eaten. Nothing has shown much interest in eating my container citrus scattered throughout my yard this summer. So I definitely do not feel the poisonous vitriol for caterpillars that some others feel.