Author Topic: Chokanan Mango Queries  (Read 2130 times)

Gatsu

Chokanan Mango Queries
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »
Hello Guys,

I am new to planting tropical fruits.
May I ask you about your opinion of the Chokanan Mango cultivar?
I would like to know whether it is a tasty mango variety and whether it is hardy and productive.

Anyone here has grown this variety and what has been your experience with it so far?

thanks,

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Chokanan Mango Queries
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
Hi there! Welcome to the Forum.
I have choc anon and have been quite pleased with its production characteristics. It is a clean tree without spraying and consistently makes good crops of fruit each year. It's not one of my favorite tasting mangoes but it is good. My wife really likes the taste, says it reminds her a little of the Carabao mango from the Philippines. I find that it has a little bit of fiber and I'm spoiled with the fiberless mangoes.:) The fruit has good shelf life and will last once ripened at room temperature. You can put it in the fridge for a month or so without loss of flavor once it has ripened, not before. Bottom line is I think it's a worthy tree to have in your yard. Of note also, it's supposed to give off season fruit, but this has never happened with my tree in about 8 years.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »
A friend sent me some fruit last year and I really liked it.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:39 AM »
I don't have any experience with choc anon but this is a good guide on choosing a mango https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5IRB3wOFE&list=PL2lELLdkvPuh6sqh0yRBVInKQyyeswMAf

Gatsu

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:28:21 PM »
I have choc anon and have been quite pleased with its production characteristics. It is a clean tree without spraying and consistently makes good crops of fruit each year. It's not one of my favorite tasting mangoes but it is good. My wife really likes the taste, says it reminds her a little of the Carabao mango from the Philippines. I find that it has a little bit of fiber and I'm spoiled with the fiberless mangoes.:) The fruit has good shelf life and will last once ripened at room temperature. You can put it in the fridge for a month or so without loss of flavor once it has ripened, not before. Bottom line is I think it's a worthy tree to have in your yard. Of note also, it's supposed to give off season fruit, but this has never happened with my tree in about 8 years.

Thanks for the welcome and info Brev Grower :)

Do you have any experience with Golden Queen Mango and how do you rate it in comparison to the Choc anon?

What are your top 5 mango cultivars if you were to advise another to consider in terms of both taste and production and lack of spraying?

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
this thread has a lot of information on the most popular mangos here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28697.0

pay attention to location, what does well in texas/florida/hawaii/california might not do well anywhere else

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and info Brev Grower :)

Do you have any experience with Golden Queen Mango and how do you rate it in comparison to the Choc anon?

What are your top 5 mango cultivars if you were to advise another to consider in terms of both taste and production and lack of spraying?

No, I do not have any experience with Golden Queen mango. So I cannot compare the two.

Well, taste is very subjective and I will tell you that my top 5 consist of: 1. Lemon zest(orange sherbet is supposed to be similar in taste but require less spraying for good crops), 2. Carrie - can have off years with low production and then also have great years, 3. Bailey's Marvel - needs spraying because of powdery mildew like LZ. 4. Sweet Tart - good production without spraying 5. Maha Chanok - seems to have good production without spraying. And I will include Honey kiss, Rosigold and Pickering  all have good production traits without spraying. But, I would always suggest you try the fruit before you get a tree.

So in answer to your question above, I would consider these as absolute must haves in my yard: Rosigold, Carrie, Maha Chanok, Choc anon, sweet tart, honey kiss - for their production traits and flavor.

Mangoes that I don't particularly like that produce well - Duncan, Glenn, Pickering and valencia pride. Others love the flavor of these mangoes...

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:17:20 PM »
I have Choc Anon and I like it.
There are mango "snubs" who don't, they have access to many beter mangos.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »
I enjoy the flavor of Choc Anon. Very slight fiber allows it to fall from the tree dead ripe without damage. The taste is mild and sweet but has a pleasant something about it but when many other mangoes are coming on the difference in taste is nice. If I had one to choose from Choc Anon wouldn't be my first I would choose Carrie then the citrus flavored types, then maybe a Choc Anon.

Gatsu

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:17 PM »
thank you guys for all the comments and info.
it helps.